Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

power locks only work on front drivers side door

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buckland_j is an unknown quantity at this point
power locks only work on front drivers side door

Hey everyone, I'm having an issue that I can't seem to find an answer for in the forums. I drive a 2000 Civic EX. The other day, my power locks suddenly stopped working on all but my front driver's side door. I have checked all the fuses to ensure that none are blown, I've looked both under the hood and under the steering wheel. The other three locks don't seem to move at all, and I listened carefully to see if I could hear them struggling, but I didn't hear any movement whatsoever. I don't think it is an actuator problem, because 3/4 doors went at the same time. Also, both the power lock switch and the physical lock only lock the front drivers side door - I pushed the lock down manually, thinking that it could be the switch. Additionally, I read that cold weather could be to blame, but I don't think that's it either, as it's been an unseasonably warm winter. Any information that you guys can provide would be great, I literally do not even know where to start.
Old 02-06-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: power locks only work on front drivers side door

Just looking at a wiring diagram, and assuming the EX has factory keyless, I'd GUESS the keyless lock control unit lost one of its outputs. That appears to be the common point for the 3 doors that aren't working.
Old 02-17-2012
Registered!!

kkspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem with my 99 VP sedan. Only the driver's side doors lock and unlock when using the power lock switch or remote.

Where is the keyless lock control unit located?
Old 02-17-2012

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kkspeed

Where is the keyless lock control unit located?
I have a diagram that shows it behind the drivers kick panel.
Old 03-11-2012
Registered!!

kkspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

Update: I bought another Power Lock Control Module from the local Pick-n-Pull Junkyard but it didn't correct the problem.

When I use the Power Lock Switch on the Driver's Door, all of the doors except the RF (Passenger's) lock and unlock.

I noticed that the RF Door Speaker is also not working, so I have to check the main wiring harness from the chassis to the RF Door. Maybe the harness is loose so the speakers and the Power Locks are not getting power.
Old 03-11-2012

Sounds like an improvement at the very least....

Your first post stated this:
my power locks suddenly stopped working on all but my front driver's side door.

Your new post said this:
all of the doors except the RF (Passenger's) lock and unlock.

So it has fixed the original problem, and you have now discovered a new problem that wasn't previously apparent.

BTW, shorted wiring for that door COULD have caused the control unit to fail.
Old 03-16-2012
Registered!!

tgee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, dont know if this is any help but will mention it. I have a 99 civic and when bought the actuator locks struggled to work on some of the doors, drivers door didnt work at all, switch on drivers door also didnt work. Turned out the cables running to the drivers door were broken and the bolt that earths the battery to body was loose and some of the motors were worn out in the actuator units. Fixed by pulling the rubber cover back over the wires to drivers door, stripped back broken wires and reconected wires by adding a new short piece of wire between the break, this allows the wires to be a bit longer and not under stress from the door opening (i twisted the new wire conections and taped up with electrical tape, very carfully). having tighted up the earth bolt from the battery to the chassis i removed the actuators that didnt work very well, openned up the unit and replaced the motors with ones i had bought on-line, info from this fantastic site. The only thing was the motors i bought from e-bay were supposed to fit honda and lexus or something else but the part that the worm drive slips onto was different. Anyway used a glue gun and glued the worm drive over the motor shaft keeping its different connector in place,...so far so good.
Old 04-17-2012
Registered!!

Nealmend is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

Im new to the forum and im not quite sure how to post a new thread but I drive a 2001 honda civic ex coupe and the drivers side door will only lock with the power lock on the door when it is shut or with the key. The passenger door will lock with me pushing it down or with the key. The drivers side door has all the cables hooked up the way its supposed to be but shouldnt I be able to push it down by hand? And ive been doing research and I think on the passengers side i need to replace the actuator but what about the drivers side? My whole goal here is to be able to have a keyless entry any help would be nice.
Old 04-17-2012

Originally Posted by Nealmend
Hi guys

Im new to the forum and im not quite sure how to post a new thread but I drive a 2001 honda civic ex coupe and the drivers side door will only lock with the power lock on the door when it is shut or with the key. The passenger door will lock with me pushing it down or with the key. The drivers side door has all the cables hooked up the way its supposed to be but shouldnt I be able to push it down by hand? And ive been doing research and I think on the passengers side i need to replace the actuator but what about the drivers side? My whole goal here is to be able to have a keyless entry any help would be nice.

Know what this means?
"RTFM
"
This is explained in the owners manual.

When the drivers door is open: You MUST pull out on one of the release handles (inside or outside) before pushing the lock button down.

When the door is shut, the button works like you would expect.

HTH
Old 04-17-2012
Registered!!

Ok so the drivers side works fine then is what I am hearing? and does it sound right about the passenger side just needing to replace the actuator? Then I can order a fabb and have key less entry?
Also could anyone tell me how to start a new thread im not sure how I would really appreciate it thanks for all the help.
Old 04-17-2012

Man, I missed that passengers door part. Duh.

Drivers door sounds correct as you described.
Passengers door sounds like it needs an actuator.
I would probably do a couple tests to make sure before chucking money at it.

An 01 EX Civic (in the US market) should have been equipped with keyless from the factory. You should only need to obtain a correct fob and program it.

Part #16 here, and I believe the price is for a pair of fobs. http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...INATION+SWITCH

-----------------------------------------------------------------

To find where to make a new thread, click through a series of links such as this:

Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civics by Generation > 7th Gen Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum
Just above the set of threads, above the blue bar, I see this:

HTH
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

Ok thanks man is really helped out alot for me now I can get started on the forum no sites i could find would tell me how to start a new thread.