Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

oil leak - front main or oil pan gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Execut1ve is an unknown quantity at this point
oil leak - front main or oil pan gasket?

Hello all,

I have a 2000 Civic EX (manual trans) with a bit of an oil leak. I changed the oil today and noticed quite a bit of oily grime on the driver's side of the pan, and a few driplets on the bottom. I tried to look up the side of the engine and see where it was coming from, but it was too tight in there for me to see much (i'm used to my big ford truck lol). from what I could tell, the oil seems to be coming from the front main seal area or I guess it could also be the oil pan gasket. I replaced the valve cover gasket at the last oil change, so I know that's good.

Any hints on narrowing down what exactly is leaking? How hard are those gaskets to replace? for comparison, I've done the oil pan gasket and rear main on my truck... pretty much have to remove the entire engine to get to it yay 4wd
Old 02-05-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: oil leak - front main or oil pan gasket?

Take a picture. It's the best way. When you replaced the valve cover gasket did you seal the corners with the blue silicone stuff? If you didn't it's probably leaking from there.
Old 02-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Execut1ve is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: oil leak - front main or oil pan gasket?

yes I sealed the corners. you want me to take a picture and post it?