Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1998 civic lx auto transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neipalm is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 1998 civic lx auto transmission problem

car has 167k miles on it. My problem is that when the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd the car jerks a bit no matter how fast I am accelerating. It only happens when shifting from 2nd to 3rd and all the other shifts are very smooth. For more information I had an interesting situation happen last night while driving. I was in a hurry to get home so i hit the gas kind of hard to accelerate fast and turned left on to a main road and the transmission didn't feel right. it shifted fine at first but then the rpms went to about 5k and i know i wasn't accelerating fast enough to cause this so i started freaking out and braked. there was road work ahead so i slowed down and stopped. I had had a similar problem to this before when the cars rpm went to about 4.5k before shifting to 3rd and after that all the shifts were revved high then a jerk into the next gear. This time though while stopped i put the car in park and then when traffic moved i started going again and had no problem the rest of the way home except for the jerk from 2nd to 3rd as usual. can anyone tell me what is wrong with the transmission or car. i bought it used about 3 months ago and only noticed the problem about 1 month ago and hoping the buy wasn't a bad decision since everything else about the car is great.

Sorry for wall of text but i figure the more info you have the better.
Old 01-26-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neipalm is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1998 civic lx auto transmission problem

also the transmission fluid is pinkish red like how it's supposed to and is at the right amount