Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission removal stuck-urgent

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mattbob is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission removal stuck-urgent

I have a 96 civic and I'm taking the transmission off to install a new clutch.

THing is, it's stuck. It's separated about 3?4" along the top and down the side, but I can't wiggle it any more. It moves a great deal up and down when I took the jack out.

There is this piece I will call 'stiffener arms' on the underside of the transmission that bolts the transmission to the block. In between it and the tranmission is a plastic dust cover. One bolt is right next to the exhaust and it was super rusty and I rounded it off. I unbolted it from the engine side expecting I could remove it along with the transmission to get at that bolt.

Do I have to remove that bolt first or could it be stuck on something else?

If the car isn't in neutral will that make it stick?
Old 01-06-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transmission removal stuck-urgent

Originally Posted by Mattbob
I have a 96 civic and I'm taking the transmission off to install a new clutch.

THing is, it's stuck. It's separated about 3?4" along the top and down the side, but I can't wiggle it any more. It moves a great deal up and down when I took the jack out.

There is this piece I will call 'stiffener arms' on the underside of the transmission that bolts the transmission to the block. In between it and the tranmission is a plastic dust cover. One bolt is right next to the exhaust and it was super rusty and I rounded it off. I unbolted it from the engine side expecting I could remove it along with the transmission to get at that bolt.

Do I have to remove that bolt first or could it be stuck on something else?

If the car isn't in neutral will that make it stick?
The trans has to slide straight away from the engine until the input shaft is out of the clutch disc. Then it can rock, twist, whatever you need to do to get the trans all the way out of the car.

D16Y5 and D16Y8-- The tin shield has to come off, 2 stiffener brackets, they have to come off of the trans and engine.

D16Y7 has a large "U" shaped "stiffener arm" bracket thingy, cast aluminum, it has to come off of the trans and engine.

You MUST see the flywheel is cleared on the bottom since it stays on the engine.

I leave the trans in gear, it can make it a hair easier to reinstall later.