Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Is this Normal??? (Brand New Timing Belt [Tooth])

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KoenigsTiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Is this Normal??? (Brand New Timing Belt [Tooth])

Hey Everyone!!!

I recently got my first Honda. Just want a dependable daily driver. '98 Civic 3rd DX SOHC

Anyway, its got 183,000 km, I am in Canada. So I better change the timing belt. I never done it. I had an '86 Corolla GT-S with 300,000km. Didn't see any stickers on it of the belt being replaced... But I want to keep the Civic for a while.

Got a kit from ebay. The water pump and tensioner are made it Japan. Of course the Timing belt isn't. The belt is a Mitsuboshi... Made in Singapore. I wasnt happy when I saw that! Anyway after I looked at it closely I noticed funny little strands on one of the teeth... Is this normal? Or should I give the dealer $58 for a real Honda belt?

A timing belt is not something I really want to cheap out on... One more thing, should I replace the tensioner spring also? It didn't come with the tensioner

Thanks a lot guys!!!
Gene
Old 11-03-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trixman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is this Normal??? (Brand New Timing Belt [Tooth])

I've gotten parts from Ebay that have looked eh... cheesy so I don't anymore. Amazon is a better source for reputable discounts. If you don't want to pay dealer prices, go to the local auto parts and stick with a known brand like Dayco or Gates or Mitsubishi.

Last edited by trixman; 11-03-2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-03-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is this Normal??? (Brand New Timing Belt [Tooth])

That's probably the strand where they joined one end of the belt to the other. It depends on how they are manufactured but it should be okay. If your worried about it go to the Honda dealer and ask to see a timing belt. They should have one in stock but its a dealership so you never know.