Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

SRS dash light on 97 Civic -2 long flashes, pause, 2 quick flashes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
n03l is an unknown quantity at this point
Question SRS dash light on 97 Civic -2 long flashes, pause, 2 quick flashes?

Hello, complete newb here. Just recently purchased a 97 Civic and it had the srs light on when I bought it. I tried using a buddies code reader but it was unable to pick any up. Through some reading online I was able to get a code finally through jumping a different connector (sorry forget what it's called). Anyways, I'm getting 2 long flashes (about 1.5 seconds?) pause and then 2 quick flashes. Does this mean anything to anyone? I've also tried resetting the srs unit but that didn't clear the light. I know there are probably some extremely smart people on this site that could figure this out quite quickly. Thanks for your time!

Last edited by n03l; 06-04-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: SRS dash light on 97 Civic -2 long flashes, pause, 2 quick flashes?

Code 2-2: Increased resistance in the passenger side airbag or airbag resistor (for models with no passenger airbag)

You need the Honda diagnostic tool to read it. Which pretty much means you have to take it to the Dealer (sorry).

I strongly suggest getting service manual.
Old 06-05-2011
Registered!!

JackedByJack is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah u can download a pdf version of the mechanics manual on droid phones or the internet, they're quite handy
Old 06-05-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
Code 2-2: Increased resistance in the passenger side airbag or airbag resistor (for models with no passenger airbag)

You need the Honda diagnostic tool to read it. Which pretty much means you have to take it to the Dealer (sorry).

I strongly suggest getting service manual.
Thanks for your reply. I was really hoping to avoid taking it to a dealership (I've read too many horror stories about being screwed over by them) My model doesn't have a passenger air bag. The car only cost me $2000 so I'm going to be very careful in how much I dig into the issue. I know air bags save lives but every vehicle I've owned in the past only had seat belts. Also, I have found and downloaded the service manual. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Well, if it's not too expensive try replacing the resistor. Remember, before working on the SRS system you need to disconnect both battery cables and wait AT LEAST 3 minutes.
Old 06-05-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
Well, if it's not too expensive try replacing the resistor. Remember, before working on the SRS system you need to disconnect both battery cables and wait AT LEAST 3 minutes.
Thanks for the info, I will try and find a new resistor this week. I'll report back when I've done so!
Old 06-05-2011
Registered!!

JackedByJack is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah that manual is like the bible to me. i had never worked on a car in my life before, but i had the book and ive fixed a lot of **** on my car, vss module, replaced ac belt alternator belt power steering belt, i even replaced the entire ac compressor itself. you dont have to know a lot about cars when you got a manual like that
Old 06-05-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by JackedByJack
yeah that manual is like the bible to me. i had never worked on a car in my life before, but i had the book and ive fixed a lot of **** on my car, vss module, replaced ac belt alternator belt power steering belt, i even replaced the entire ac compressor itself. you dont have to know a lot about cars when you got a manual like that
I guess fortunately or unfortunately (depending how you look at it) my car seems to be as bare bone stock as they come. No AC or power steering haha. I do however wish it at least had cruise control!
Old 06-19-2011
Registered!!

Took 2 weeks to get the new dummy resistor. Installed it, reset the srs computer and it's all good to go! Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-19-2011
Registered!!

^^ Stupid resistor! lol. Glad it worked.
Old 01-17-2014
Registered!!

Jsey55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by n03l
Took 2 weeks to get the new dummy resistor. Installed it, reset the srs computer and it's all good to go! Thanks for all your help!
Hi! Please Can you show me where the resistor locate and where can i buy the resistor from? I had the same problem as your car
Old 10-12-2014
Registered!!

BrandStrand is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello! Dead post, but I have been searching for months as I have exactly the same problem. 1996 civic base model, no passenger air bag, but I have the 2-2 SRS code (Increased resistance in passenger airbag). Could anyone explain where this resistor is, so that I could replace it? Thanks