Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

99 Civic EX need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bangbangexpress is an unknown quantity at this point
99 Civic EX need opinions

Last week my wife's 99 civic would crank all day but not fire. So I started with fuel replaced fuel filter and checked fuel pressure all good. Moved on to spark and found that I had none. (Also replaced the Main Relay)

Ended up replacing Cap, Rotor, and Ignition Coil. Car fired right up (after fuel lines refilled) and ran great. Problem solved or so we thought.

Its been 5 days now and this morning wife went to the car to go to work and now has the same problem. I took Cap rotor and ignition coil out and inspected them they all still look brand new like they should. Put it back together stumped as to what the issue could be. Before I went in the house to call someone decided for ***** to see if it would start and low and behold damn thing fired right up no problem and ran great around the block.

Now my issue the wife is 8 months pregnant and I do not want here getting stuck somewhere and shes afraid to drive my F150. Anyone have a clue why taking it apart and putting it back together seemed to work? And what can I do to make sure it dose not happen again?
Old 04-29-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: 99 Civic EX need opinions

Is it getting voltage to the distributor? Possible short?
Old 04-30-2011
Registered!!

Dizz is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like a tough one!When it was dead the 2nd time,did you check the plugs for a nice blue spark?
Regards,Dizz
Old 04-30-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I'd start with what was already mentioned. You replaced just about everything in the ignition system. What about the plugs? I would at least examine them like Dizz said. Note their condition and see if they're fouled.