Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Ticking sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fewall11b will become famous soon enough
Ticking sound?

1999 civic EK with a B16A2. The car makes a ticking sound while driving although it doesn't do it when at Idle only when I'm giving it gas. Also I got on the gas the other day and it felt like the tranny was slipping and white smoke was blowing out the exhaust. The white smoke issue only seems to happen during VTEC. If you motor heads out there can give me any help or clues as to what is going on in there please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2011
Trance Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Ticking sound?

Ticking could be from valvetrain noise. You might need a valve adjustment. White smoke could indicate a cooling issue(headgasket). If your clutch is slipping, you can test it by flooring the car in 3rd gear or higher. If the car gets loud but doesn't go anywhere, your clutch is pretty much done.
Old 04-06-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Ticking sound?

Originally Posted by MelJ
If your clutch is slipping, you can test it by flooring the car in 3rd gear or higher. If the car gets loud but doesn't go anywhere, your clutch is pretty much done.
snow on the ground?!? we already in spring?!? (actually there was snow this morning....)