Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Civis Main&Rod Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dizz is an unknown quantity at this point
Civis Main&Rod Bearings

This is the 99 Civic tha had 196K at the rebuild,now 240K.Would also like to mention that when I did the re build,I wanted to also do the bearings.I was showing some wear brass marks on a couple of the main bearings.I was told that the codes were on the flange the oil pan goes on,by local dealer.I scraped&looked,then looked some more.
He was wrong,the letter code for the bearings is on the rear of block,tranny has to come off to see on the 99 Civic.Then you put the letter with the numbers stamped on the bearing journals.Then order the proper color coded bearing from Honda.
I was doing a in frame ,and had to do without the new bearings.
I thought that the basic generic bearings from Advance would be a poor choice,so I planned on putting the bearings in at 300K,at next timing belt&thought the original clutch might need replaced by then.
I`m wondering if new bearings would be good on a old crank?
I installed a oil pressure gauge,and I`m getting the 10psi @ idle,and 50psi at 55 in 4th gear,unless i`m pulling a long hill,and it will drop some as the oil is heated.
This is for anybody that might have some similar experience,and thanks for any ideas.
Old 03-04-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the roughNewfiedan is a jewel in the rough
Re: Civis Main&Rod Bearings

To be honest I never do a rebuild without replacing the main bearings, its just not worth it in my honest opinion good oil pressure is a good sign but without checking the clearances using some plastigauge then there is no real way to tell how well its going to hold up.