Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help Want to buy Honda Civic for daughter but which one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jules6438 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help Want to buy Honda Civic for daughter but which one?

Hi I am trying to decide on car for daughter and Honda civic is the one I think I will go with but I am not car smart and I dont normally deal with the car dealership that sells Honda's so I dont know anyone there to ask or 100 trust. So if anyone can help would be great. She is 16 been driving since 14 really sensible girl goes to work, school and friends houses but will be going away to college in 3 years and hopefully will be able to take this car with her. She likes the coupe style I am more the four door style myself but it is her car. The big question is what is difference between DX LX EX EX-L and what would best suit her needs. Thanks for your time and sorry if my ?'s are dumb but really want to have some idea before going into the dealership.
Old 07-15-2010
Registered!!

steve93civichb is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help Want to buy Honda Civic for daughter but which one?

wat year car where you thinking?
Old 07-15-2010
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Not too much difference other then bells and whistles that come with the EX-L like leather interior, navigation, and heated seats, and alloy rims. LX or EX should be plenty good for your daughter. GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-15-2010
Registered!!

affixrider will become famous soon enough

well if you dont want your daughter to really be able to speed,lol the 2001 to 2005 lx models are the way to go. they are great on gas and they are slow as can be lol. not trying to down grade them or anything because i had one. its been one of my favorite cars by far. it had over 120k miles on it and i never had any mechanical problems what so ever with it. the lx models do not come with the vtec in it unlike the the ex, so thats something to think about when it comes to saving gas. i heard the hx models are more environmental friendly but i dont think theres really any difference in the hx and lx at all. plus these days they all pretty much sell for about 4k or less which i think is a fair price for a first car. but thats just my 0.02.
Old 07-15-2010
Remebers the old days
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of lightCrewChief is a glorious beacon of light

I would go with the EX no matter what the year. It comes fully loaded and has a sun/moon and the resale value is a little better then the other models. Gas milage changes only about 1-3 MPG between models. I've had my 02 ex since I bought it from the dealer and have not had one singe problem with it that I didnt cause. lol.
Old 07-15-2010
Registered!!

affixrider will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CrewChief
I would go with the EX no matter what the year. It comes fully loaded and has a sun/moon and the resale value is a little better then the other models. Gas milage changes only about 1-3 MPG between models. I've had my 02 ex since I bought it from the dealer and have not had one singe problem with it that I didnt cause. lol.
AGREED.
Old 07-16-2010
Registered!!

combinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura about

01-05 EX, LX should be a good value and comfortable

The trim designations go in order of price:
DX - basic model, no aircon, etc
LX - Normal model, has all the regular amenities
EX - Nice model, has moonroof, some leather
Si - Sports model
Old 07-17-2010
jmg
Registered!!

jmg is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking into getting a Civic for my little sister as well. Looking at a 2001 DX:

http://www.everycarlisted.com/ca/ont...2x1h554837#tcl

$3850 but no mileage. Are used Civics ever a headache? I'm guessing it's a high mileage car. Is this a good buy?
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

combinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jmg
I'm looking into getting a Civic for my little sister as well. Looking at a 2001 DX:

http://www.everycarlisted.com/ca/ont...2x1h554837#tcl

$3850 but no mileage. Are used Civics ever a headache? I'm guessing it's a high mileage car. Is this a good buy?
Civics are among the best cars to buy used out there. This year, the civic was rated Consumer Report's best used car to buy in the small car category.

Remember the DX is pretty barren, no AC etc. Not sure where you are from, but I would be dead commuting without AC in the summer. If the seller checks out, the car should be OK and last, but you still will get what you pay for.
Old 07-17-2010
jmg
Registered!!

jmg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by combinatorix
Remember the DX is pretty barren, no AC etc. Not sure where you are from, but I would be dead commuting without AC in the summer.
Ouch. Thanks for the info, I didn't know that!
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

Budahhead is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jules6438
Hi I am trying to decide on car for daughter and Honda civic is the one I think I will go with but I am not car smart and I dont normally deal with the car dealership that sells Honda's so I dont know anyone there to ask or 100 trust. So if anyone can help would be great. She is 16 been driving since 14 really sensible girl goes to work, school and friends houses but will be going away to college in 3 years and hopefully will be able to take this car with her. She likes the coupe style I am more the four door style myself but it is her car. The big question is what is difference between DX LX EX EX-L and what would best suit her needs. Thanks for your time and sorry if my ?'s are dumb but really want to have some idea before going into the dealership.
get her a 2000 Honda Civic Si Coupe.

Si is the High Performance model of the Civic. It comes with a slightly bigger engine and manual tranny only.
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

Jules6438 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone I was looking to buy 2010 maybe 2011 when it comes out this way when she goes 700 miles away for colege it will only be 3 years. Unless someone can explain that isnt a good idea. Thanks for not making me feel foolish for such simple questions R.
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

sup_mario is an unknown quantity at this point

What year do you want man?. You should rely on your daughters age. Which year will suit her.
Old 07-18-2010
Registered!!

tsx101 is an unknown quantity at this point

get her somthing with a b16
Old 07-18-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

One of the newer civic ex's should do her fine. Or the 2001-2005 ex should work out fine to.
Old 07-18-2010
Registered!!

ok ok, b20
Old 07-19-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

I doubt she would want a b20 cause she isnt going to be modding it or anything as I assume. This guys is just looking for a nice dependable safe car for his daughter. Oh by the way on you sig you spelled vtec wrong. Its not vtech its vtec. Vtech is a kids toy brand lol.
Old 07-19-2010
Registered!!

lol noob
Old 07-23-2010
Registered!!

jsmithe2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sheese... lots of college bounds live in dorms and have no need for a car. Depends where she's going, if snow there during Winter, I'd go for a all-time 4WD Subaru.
Old 07-30-2010
Registered!!

hindude will become famous soon enough

anything is fine in the snow as long as it isn't rear wheel drive. I know it can be done. I live in chicago and have driven is all kinds of snow but for a first car. I'd stick with a civic.

college students don't need leather. a girl might really complain about no A/C though. go for the EX cause you get all the extras you need. i'd definitely go used too. not that i've ever been in an accident (knock on wood) but if she is 16, statistics say she will get into one. i would cry a lot harder if i lost a $24k car than if i lost a $4k car.