Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Rear Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gulfstream1951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear Main Seal

I have a 1997 Civic Ex. 191,000 miles. I'm a maintenance freak...the car is pristine and everything that could be done to a car has been done. It looks and drives new. It developed an oil leak, rear main seal, a while back. I had it repaired. Now...it's leaking again. At this point it's just a drop here and there on the ground, but the underside of the motor is pretty well covered. The dipstick isn't going down much, if any. I'm tired of spending money on the car, it's reached the point of diminishing returns. My questions are:
1. I'm told the clutch could begin to slip if enough oil gets on the clutch plate. Is this true?

2. I need to make a 400 mile trip in a few days. Would you trust the car to travel that far? Could the clutch fail all at once? Could the seal just blow out and cause the engine to lose all it's oil?

thanks in advance

Jack
Old 05-14-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rear Main Seal

my 02 has had a leaking rear main seal for quite a while, in fact its a defect for that model year with a service bulletin about it, but who wants to pay $650 just to change it, which includes removing the transmission. ive been driving at least 20k miles with the leak and made a 2000 mile road trip without issue. it does not drip to the ground but a big portion of the trans casing (auto) is covered in sweaty oil and dirt. seems like its slow enough that it never makes it to the ground. i would say youre fine except that they might be right about the clutch getting oil on it and messing up. but if the clutch were to start slipping, im sure you would feel it. and i dont think it will just suddenly get to the point where car wasnt able to move.