I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Alpine CHA-S634 and stock HU

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ubiratamuniz is an unknown quantity at this point
Alpine CHA-S634 and stock HU

Hi all,

I've just purchased a CHA-S634 MP3 changer for my 2002 Civic (it's a Brazilian Civic LX but the HU is the same as the american/canadian civics, a Clarion made in Mexico, and it works perfectly with an CHM-S630 standard CD changer and a BlitzSafe adapter I am currently using).

I probably will not install it soon because the KCA-130B is hard to find here in Brazil and probably I will have to resource to ebay sellers as I did with the blitzsafe adapter. Well, it will be at least 30 days before the KCA-130B arrives at my house... while I wait, I'll keep listening to my standard CD's with the other alpine changer.

Some here reported sucessful instalation of the S634 in the stock HU. However, I have some inquiries about the CD changer function using MP3 discs.

For instance:

"Roo" told that it is possible to have more than 99 songs in a CD, that's great for me.

And how about MP3 folders? Do they work fine or do I have to put all the songs in one directory? Or does the changer read all the files on the disc and plays them in file name order (independent of folder names)?

If the Mp3 changer supports folders in the stock HU, how would they be selected? Would it be through the "cd +/cd -" buttons in the HU?

Just asking to begin working on my mp3 cd's before the KCA-130B arrives. As I have a 20GB mp3 collection (almost all of my CD collection is backed up to MP3 as in my previous cars I had non-stock HU's with Mp3 support). If there is no folder support, I have about 10.000 songs to sort out and rename in a way that it will be easier for me to play...

Hope you can help.

Bira
Old 02-21-2006

coop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the roughcoop is a jewel in the rough
the easiest thing to do is get an ipod - the search interface through the Alpine head unit is not very straight forward and is time consuming...
Old 02-21-2006
Registered!!

juanotejano is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea but the iPod interface with alpines is even worse. Sorry I can't really answer any of your questions as I don't use mp3 cds but an iPod is not necessarily the ideal solution.
Old 02-22-2006
Registered!!

ubiratamuniz is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by coop
the easiest thing to do is get an ipod - the search interface through the Alpine head unit is not very straight forward and is time consuming...
thankx for your reply, but that simply does not answer my question. In fact, I COULD have bought an Ipod, but I didnīt want to. It would be a far more expensive solution (I would have to buy ANOTHER adapter, I already have a HON/ALP DMX from BlitzSafe, the iPod cost twice the changer, etc.) , and not practical at all (I donīt need a portable player). OK, the iPod can carry more songs, I can carry my whole collection of mp3 on one iPod. But I see no hassle in changing the CDīs on the magazine now and then.
Old 06-21-2007
Registered!!

lwebb12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alpine CHA-S634 and stock HU

Where did you stuff the CHA-S634?

I have one from my BMW and want to puts it in.

I will be tossing a 13W7 in the back. Is there a stock mount or will I have to fabricate one?