I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

**FINISHED** HU relocation

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
**FINISHED** HU relocation

So far so good.

The cage is held in by expanding foam. This is the brainstorming stage where I'm trying to visualize how the sides should look. The bitch part was hacking away the metal behind the cig bezel in order to slide the HU back far enough to still use the cupholders - and not look dumb hanging 9 inches out of the dash board.

I'll post more as the project developes.

Last edited by Havok2k1; 01-23-2007 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Editing
Old 11-30-2004

J187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of lightJ187 is a glorious beacon of light
I have no idea how this posted twice! I didn't even click submit more than once. I think this happend to someone else recently too. Anyway, kill one of them.
Old 11-30-2004
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
Do you have any pictures of it re-installed in the car?
Old 11-30-2004

Starting to take shape:

Old 11-30-2004
ish...

Jaykuai can only hope to improve
good luck!

excellent motherboard
Old 11-30-2004
Registered!!

AlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really nice
looking good.
Old 11-30-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted
very nice...eventually i plan to relocate the HU down their too... keep up the good work and keep posting pix!
Old 11-30-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
I wouldn't glass too close to the cage, and definantly not inside it. Other than that looking good. Must be an 04', my 01' is two seperate pieces.
Old 11-30-2004
Registered!!

01civicdriver is an unknown quantity at this point
that is looking sweet man. i wish i had the time to do all that
Old 12-01-2004

Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
I wouldn't glass too close to the cage, and definantly not inside it. Other than that looking good. Must be an 04', my 01' is two seperate pieces.
Yup, 04 - Pain in the ***! Previous years would have been easier - just glass a whole new section like Lud posted before. I'm definitely not going to glass near the cage, I've got a fine line to stop at. I'm still thinking about maybe builing up the sides with expanding foam, carving my contours and just filling with bondo. I'm always indecisive.
Old 12-01-2004

Originally Posted by 01civicdriver
that is looking sweet man. i wish i had the time to do all that

I'm willing to bet that If I've got the time, you got the time. I just did a little bit here and there, on lunch breaks and before bed. I work 65 hours/week, go to school nights and I have a GF. My time is usually spoken for. You'd be surprised at how much you can get accomplished in a small time. Even if it takes you a couple weeks or more, if you wanna do something, try it.
Old 12-02-2004
Pro Skater

blue03civic is an unknown quantity at this point
mad nice are u gunna rapint it?
Old 12-02-2004

Gonna hit it with some Kitty's hair fiberglass enforced bondo and see how it forms, then I'll either paint or vinyl.
Old 12-02-2004
Registered!!

AlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really nice
I would say paint it dont vinyl! try to get the original texure so that it looks stock!
Old 12-02-2004
I want a TSX!

sevenplaces is on a distinguished road
wow, looks good!
Old 12-02-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

PopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to beholdPopcornPlaya is a splendid one to behold
You can buy textured paint from an autoparts store. It's pretty close to our stock color, and when carefully applied, it'll look the same, or close to it.
Old 12-02-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
I say paint because its easier. ever vinyl before? its a bith. that panel you have? forget that noise, paint it.

dont forget to sand all teh scratches out of the WHOLE piece, all the way around, not just where you glassed.

and no need to foam around the cage, screw it and just use bodyfiller, itll be easier in the long run. cheaper, too. you save cost on foam, and you have to buy at least a pint of filler anyways, youll have plenty.

how was hacking away at the dash? I bet it was a bitch. what tool did you use, a dremel, or something better?
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

craiger will become famous soon enoughcraiger will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PopcornPlaya
You can buy textured paint from an autoparts store. It's pretty close to our stock color, and when carefully applied, it'll look the same, or close to it.
Do you know who the manufacturer is and possible the product number? I'm going to be needing paint like this also.
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

rpCiVicEx is an unknown quantity at this point
this is an awesome post, post more pics when you're done!
Old 12-03-2004
Electric Boogaloo...

Originally Posted by craiger
Do you know who the manufacturer is and possible the product number? I'm going to be needing paint like this also.
No, I haven't bought any, but if you go to an auto parts store (advance, autozone, pepboys, etc.) just tell them you need textured interior paint, they'll direct you to it.
Old 12-03-2004

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit
I say paint because its easier. ever vinyl before? its a bith. that panel you have? forget that noise, paint it.

dont forget to sand all teh scratches out of the WHOLE piece, all the way around, not just where you glassed.

and no need to foam around the cage, screw it and just use bodyfiller, itll be easier in the long run. cheaper, too. you save cost on foam, and you have to buy at least a pint of filler anyways, youll have plenty.

how was hacking away at the dash? I bet it was a bitch. what tool did you use, a dremel, or something better?

Yes, I have Vinyled before. And from Vinyling a section of door panel and reapolstering my motorcycle seat, the one thing I have learned is that it is really hard to commit suicide with a heat gun and a roller

The foam I had laying around and it worked way better than screwing it would have. Especially concidering a screw would have had to been removed anyway before the HU is installed. The foam held the whole thing in tight as hell - I could even slide the HU in and out a bunch of time for fitting. How was gutting the dash? PITFA! I used a dremel with a metal bit, a cutoff wheel, a small pnuematic saw, and a lot of F-Bombs. It aint pretty, but I couldn't care less. I was also pretty careful to leave enough of the bracket behind so it could continue to reinforce the dash I wish the head unit fit all the way in, but it fits far enough that I'll be happy. If I remove the door over the cupholders, I can still use my cupholders
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

Hell yeah, I can't wait to see what this looks like when it's finished. Maybe a future mod for me...
Old 12-03-2004

First layer of Kitty's hair. Fiberglass reinforced Body Filler.

Maybe this is what Snoop Dogg's talking about when he says "Sticky Icky Icky"

This **** is nasty, but it works great.
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

Now, would you recommend using standard fiberglass or Kitty Hair to build a kickpanel? That sh*t looks sticky as hell.

Where did you find this Kitty Hair at? Automotive store?
Old 12-03-2004

I got it at a paint supply place. I wouldnt' recomend for a kick though. Reason is, it's much easier to fiberglass a kick because you can layer directly over fleece or polyester. Allowing a much easier way to form the contours. Any small plastics you need to bond to, especially if you are trying to build up in the contour, this Fiberglass reinforced bondo is good stuff. I find it only slightly less formable than bondo, and much easier to build and spread than fiberglass.
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by J187
I got it at a paint supply place. I wouldnt' recomend for a kick though. Reason is, it's much easier to fiberglass a kick because you can layer directly over fleece or polyester. Allowing a much easier way to form the contours. Any small plastics you need to bond to, especially if you are trying to build up in the contour, this Fiberglass reinforced bondo is good stuff. I find it only slightly less formable than bondo, and much easier to build and spread than fiberglass.
Awesome, thanks for the input! Keep up the good work!
Old 12-03-2004
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
I said "**** it", not "you should drive a screw into your project there, sir"

looks good though, keep up the good work.

I still reccommend paint due to reasons already mentioned
Old 12-04-2004

OH, I guess considering screwing it was my first thought, I automatically took it as "us screws to hold the cage in place". HA. Yeah, paint is definitely the method of finish. I've got pics of the kitty's hair dried and sanded, I'll post those soon. I'm actually going to check out some textured paint today.
Old 12-04-2004

Some more pictures for you to gaze upon.

Sanded after Kitty’s Hair dried.

Test fitting in car

Threw this in for the hell of it. Anyone wondering how painting the dash comes out as apposed to paying for a decal kit . . . Awesome!

Wow, that's ironic. That's my Grandprix in the rt side view mirror of my Civic.
Old 12-04-2004
Registered!!

rpCiVicEx is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry for another newby post but how did you learn to fiberglass? did you take a class, or what? i would liek to do pretty much the same thing, i'm clueless of where to start..

any help is appriciated

Quick Reply: **FINISHED** HU relocation