I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

sound upgrades w/o subs

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003
AR
e-married to daydreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AR will become famous soon enough
Question sound upgrades w/o subs

hey. yeah i was thinking of upgrading my audio setup in my sedan, but without subs. i know you're thinking, why? but with security, weight, and just over-all no interest in subs i have decided to keep everything simple. i mean yes, i want bass, but not exccessively... "less is more" sometimes.but my question i guess is will i get enhanced, gratifying sound? i have a pioneer deck right now and i am thinking about switching up my front speakers first. with the advice of ludlam theory, if i want more in the future i can then move on to an amp with 2 channels for the fronts and maybe replace my rears aswell. does all of this sound relatively correct? should my frist step be to replace my front speakers? which company has some good stuff for my future setup? maybe in between my audio development i will replace my old deck (since it's pretty old but in good shape), yeah or no?

someone explain this 2,3,etc-way speakers. i know it's all about tweeters but which is pretty common and which is exceptional?
Old 07-21-2003
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
Essentially a 2-way speaker is two speakers-in-one (tweeter and woofer). 3-way is 3 speakers in one (tweeter, mid, woofer).

Two types of speaker sets: Components and ... I forgot the name of the other ones (brain freeeeze)

If it was me, and I didn't want a subwoofer (which is completely against my nature Subwoofers are most important to me), I would maybe get a 2-way component set for up front and a woofer for the back 6 inch holes. Or I would get a three way comp set and either put all 3 speakers up front or just put the woofer in the back holes.
Old 07-21-2003
AR
e-married to daydreamer

you had me up until that 3rd paragraph, explain that last part (to somoene who knows little about car audio equipment). i think maybe it was that hot chick dancing in your sig that did. she's got one hell of an ***.
Old 07-21-2003
AR
e-married to daydreamer

dumb question while re-reading what you said: why doesn't anyone upgrade thier rears?

Last edited by AR; 07-21-2003 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
if you dont want subwoofers, i suggest you get a pair of 6.5 inch subwoofers instead of rear speakers and treat them like subwoofers.

JL w0's, comp VR both make them
Old 07-21-2003
AR
e-married to daydreamer

you mean the back's fit for 6 x 9's right? how would they fit? that sounds like a pretty innovative idea.
Old 07-21-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
yeah, if you have a coupe, but still dont want subwoofers, you cna cut a piece of wood in the shape of a 6x9, then cut a 6.5 inch hole in it.

little bass, good for fill, zero trunk space used.

and you cna get like a 75 watt 4 channel amplifier, then get 8 ohm 6.5's, and bridge them to a 4 ohm load on teh amp, give them plenty of power to fill bass, and give you plenty of power still for fronts.

one amp system with no trunkspace taken
Old 07-21-2003
AR
e-married to daydreamer

well i have a sedan. i JUST did a search right now, says the sedans have 6.5 in rears too (6.5 in fronts. right?).

your idea could work without any fabrication on my sedan. btw, how much do they run for?
Old 07-21-2003
Registered!!

about $100 each, retail. you can haggle to alot less, maybe $75 each, again retail
Old 07-21-2003
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
Originally posted by AR
your idea could work without any fabrication on my sedan. btw, how much do they run for?
Just make sure they don't hit the trunk springs...I know Kicker Resolutions are pretty thin, but the diameter on the magnet may still be too big.
Old 07-21-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
Two types of speaker sets: Components and ... I forgot the name of the other ones (brain freeeeze)
i think coaxial is the word you were groping for .

a good upgrade with almost zero modification would be coaxial speakers. a better upgrade would be components. but in a sedan, this will take a little modificaition to do, and most components will need an amp to send their fullest.
Old 07-21-2003
Resident Tough Guy

Sivion is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Eclipse...

I personally run and Eclipse head unit and 4 eclipse speakers (2 in front and 2 in back). I have nothing but good things to say about this company.
Old 07-22-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
the rears have no depth problem whatsoever in speaker mounting when dealing with a sedan. our trunk springs are slightly in front of the holes so youd need like a 10 in the rear deck to have probs
Old 07-22-2003
E36 M3 Driver.

jonnyg is an unknown quantity at this point
i heard that you can fit 6x9s in the rear of the coupe but the trunk springs will get in the way so you will have to replace them with small gas struts
Old 07-24-2003
Registered!!

duyaknow is an unknown quantity at this point
I read that kicker makes a pretty mean mid bass speaker. I think it's a 6.5 that you can also mount in the rear like white rabbit said. I think the model is RMB8.

You also said you didn't want a sub because of the weight and stuff. How about a mini sub with built in amp by Kenwood that can fit under your chair. It won't hit as hard, but since it's under your chair, I'm pretty sure it will compensate...haha. Maybe put it under the passenger side, and girls will just want a ride from you more often...haha.
Old 07-24-2003
AR
e-married to daydreamer

they always wanna "ride" but not in my car.
Old 07-24-2003
AR
e-married to daydreamer

Originally posted by LudlamTheory
the rears have no depth problem whatsoever in speaker mounting when dealing with a sedan. our trunk springs are slightly in front of the holes so youd need like a 10 in the rear deck to have probs
but the stock rear speakers are 6.5" right? just as the fronts are too. so them maybe i could fit 2 6.5" subs. imp:
Old 07-24-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
yp yup
Old 07-24-2003
AR
e-married to daydreamer

you smell that? smells like an idea coming along. thanks hombre.
Old 07-25-2003
Registered!!

izod is an unknown quantity at this point
mmmmmm, jl.