I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Help w/ blown interior gauge and tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chyna is an unknown quantity at this point
Help w/ blown interior gauge and tail lights

My interior gauges and tail lights are not turning on when I switch on my lights. I initially check the fuses...the interior lights fuse was blown and replaced. This fixed the problem. About an hour later, the lights went out again. Replaced that fuse w/ a bigger fuse (7.5 to a 10 for my '01 ITR) and that blew when I hit a bump. The 10 fuse blew so I replaced it w/ a 15 or 20. Nothing happened. I replaced that one w/ the original sized fuse, 7.5. Nothing. This 7.5 is the OEM rating and has not blown, but lights are still inop.

I checked the wiring to my Pioneer deck, no apparent exposed or shorting wires (installed about 3 months ago). My amp is still good (installed 2 months ago). I did replace my front turn signals w/ LED lights that caused them to blink faster, but they are still working (installed about 6 mths). I have also installed a hyper ground wiring kit (3 months ago) and rerouted this after the problem occured.

My gauge lights and tail lights are still out. Turn signals and brake lights are still good. Is there something not grounding out? Did I screw something else up by putting in a larger capacity fuse than what the spec call for?
Old 06-10-2003
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
its never good to put a larger fuse in. if theirs a short somewhere, it just allows more current through the wire than it was designed for since you put a bigger fuse in there, which will heat up the wires and could possibly start a fire. it sounds like a wire was pinched somewhere. you said it blew when you hit a bump, its probably a loose connection somewhere. good luck finding it
Old 06-10-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
sound sto me liek you fried the wiring when you put the largest fuse in there, and now theres nothing no matter what.

id bite the bullet, and tell the dealership you messed up, and hope that they can trace the problem back through the wiring...
Old 06-11-2003
Registered!!

CiViCrAcEr2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
i've messed a ton of stuff up in my car and i just take it back to the dealership and they fix it for me under warenty and i don't tell them it was my fault.. i guess what they don't know can't hurt them too much...as long as you havnt cut a bunch of wires that go to the tail lights or anything like that u should be fine.
Old 06-12-2003
Registered!!

Chyna is an unknown quantity at this point
I will take my car back to the dealer and have them look it over. I will tell those blood suckers that I only replaced the fuse w/ the size specified.

I have installed polk audio spears all around, a momo sub and a pioneer deck. Should I re-install the factory deck to eliminate any possibility that the dealer won't cover his work under the warranty? I have not cut any wires. I have also installed a hyper ground wiring kit.
Old 06-12-2003
Registered!!

CiViCrAcEr2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
well as long as your not having problems with anything that you did to your car i dont see why they would have a problem with it... i wouldnt mess with putting the factory headunit back in becuase they have to prove to you that your audio equipment caused the malfunction of all the stuff thats going wrong in your car... I know that all of the wires for the trunk run back from one harness and if you are standing facing the rear of your car the harness is on the right hand side in the trunk right by the seats...you have to remove the carpet on the right side in the back and maybe you can see if any of your wires are pinched or melted.