I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Stock Headunit No Power After Amp Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KeeblaElf is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Stock Headunit No Power After Amp Install

Long story short:

tried to install an amp & sub in my g/f's 2k2 civic coupe...she has the stock headunit, so I got a high/low adaptor to run the RCA's...t-tapped the adaptor into place, ran the rca's, ran the power, ran the ground, and then came running the remote wire...i figured it was the white/red 12v wire from the DIY wiring diagram...hooked up the negative and started the system...it worked fine, but after about 30 seconds the amp started smoking so we disconnected it...figured out that i should be running the remote wire from the yellow wire on the cig lighter...switched it...hooked it back up and now nothing from the headunit...

i read that the white/red wire is the constant power wire, that also effects the keyless entry & door locks, neither of which are working as well...my thought is that i might have cut through the wire because I had to t-tap it twice (the 1st time the remote wire fell out as i closed the tap, so i t-tapped it again right above it)...

anyway, any suggestions? i was just gonna take it to a local car audio shop and hopefully they could fix it, or maybe just to honda? i checked the radio fuse and it was fine. i just have NO clue why it would stop working except that the wire got separated when it was tapped... ???? HELP!
Old 05-27-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
check yoru fuses

if the fuses are OK (i suspect they arent) then the next step is to inspect yrou wiring, everywhere you put a scotch lock (im trying ot visualize a tap falling out, and i cant... di dyou use scotch locks?) you should check to see if the wiring is severed. if so, youll need to use a butt connector to reconnect.

still not going on? then you have to start checkign yrou componentry. amplifier is the first to check out, then the radio, then anythign else that isnt working.

amplifier: hook up the power and ground, then short power and remote. the amplifier turns on? alright, your ok....

radio: this ones a bit tricky. you have ot isolate power and accessory, feed those 12 volts, and feed the ground negative power. theres no real easy way to do this, so use yrou imagination!

everything else: power locks, whatever it is, they operate on simple pulses, i dont knwo what to tell you abotu those.

i honestly think its jstu yrou fuses.

if yoru fuses ARENT blown, id check the amp. but id leave the rest of the work for a shop to fix. the rest is simple enough. but you cna definitely check the amp and fuses yrouself!

Last edited by WhiteRabbit; 05-27-2003 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-27-2003
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds to me like a fuse too. I would check the remote wire from front to back and make sure its not grounding out somewhere, because if thats the case then you'll just keep popping fuses.

There have only been a few cases where i have seen an amp go up in smoke. First is when ground and power are reversed. Second is with amp with an open style circuit board design and a small strand of wire shorts in the circuit board (xtant amps)
Old 05-28-2003
Registered!!

KeeblaElf is an unknown quantity at this point
well, i fixed it...it was a fuse :: phew :: the "Backup" fuse, which explains the keyless entry and door locks not working, as well as the inerior dome light when the doors were open...

i used this link to help figure it out...

i took the amp apart tonight (it was a crappy, old jensen) and i did burn a component of it...so i'm just gonna look for another amp for her, preferably the same old kenwood kac-821 i have running my two 12" infinity reference's...

thanks for all the help

Last edited by KeeblaElf; 05-28-2003 at 01:41 AM.