I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

No internal amp?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fauckin is an unknown quantity at this point
No internal amp?!

I have been doin research on HUs, and i am considering the Alpine CDA-7998/7, and the Pioneer 8400 MP. I am kinda leaning toward the Alpine due to the stealth face deal (i don't feel like hidin the pioneer everytime i go out), and alpine's little better performance. However, 1 of the diffs (others being button colors, biolite display, etc.) between the 7998, and the 7997 is that the 8 has no internal amp. This seems to be rare in HUs, so can any1 tell me whats different about this feature? I already got a 600 watt RF punch 4 channel amp btw. Any opinions?

Pioneer 8400
ALpine 7998
AlpIne 7997

Btw, I am not buying from critchfield, they too expensive (but they do got excellent service)

Thanx alot!![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-07-2003
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
i think people say you get clearer signals if the hu doesnt have an internal amp
Old 03-07-2003
Registered!!

JDog2001CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
The no internal amplifier, a few years ago at least, was used by mainly competition people who wanted a system run by all amplifiers so they didn't have to bother with the adjustements on the head unit. Having everything being run off external amplifiers, lets a person tune the system better than just having a(n) adjustment for bass, treble, and mid. And yes having the no internal amplifier does, SOMETIMES, make for having a cleaner signal to the amplifiers because you are not running any signal to anywhere but the amplifiers.

Joe
Old 03-07-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
also the heat factor. Internal amps heat up a lot, and if you remove that, bingo. it also makes building the circuitry a tad bit easier due to the fact that theres more room.
Old 03-07-2003
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
My kenwood HU allows me to turn off the the HU's amp...which I do, because I have amps for the speakers. My HU face connetor gets hot as it is, so I wonder if it would get even hotter with the amp on...the less heat the better IMO. It is funny because I can pop 80 amp fuses going to my JBL at 1 ohm, but the amp will be cool, but my head unit gets a lil warm.
Old 03-07-2003
Registered!!

fauckin is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm...wut if i go with the 7997, save up for 2 jl 3v2s, buy a rf power 851s amp, move my my 4 channel to my speakers, thats gonna be alotta muney...thanx alot peeple!
Old 03-08-2003
Registered!!

JohnDoe is an unknown quantity at this point
No internal amp means room for bigger (better) signal processing, D/A chips and all that fun stuff. You'll get better SQ out of a deck with no amp.
Old 03-08-2003
Registered!!

izod is an unknown quantity at this point
no rf! i command thee! thou shalt not purchase a single piece of rockford fosgate for rockford fosgate creates weird signals that are supposed to resemble sound but in reality just create noise polution.

the will of izod has been spoken.
Old 03-08-2003
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
wtf, IZOD has spoken [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-16-2003
Registered!!

petes97 is an unknown quantity at this point
The 7998, also has external DC/DC convertor, like most new Alpine decks. Plus, it has a huge 1.3 DIN face, so it needs the extra space in the housing.

Great head unit.
Old 10-16-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tom1178 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by izod
no rf! i command thee! thou shalt not purchase a single piece of rockford fosgate for rockford fosgate creates weird signals that are supposed to resemble sound but in reality just create noise polution.

the will of izod has been spoken.
I've got two fosgate subs and i haven't heard any weird signals produced by them yet!

On another note, a disadvantage of getting a HU that has no internal amplification is that it is harder to sell, most people looking for a used head unit for a cheap price don;t have extra amps and subs and whatnot hooked up, therefor, a used HU without an amp will be of no use for them. Making a Hu with no internal amp much much much harder to sell, better off to give the HU along with old crappy amps to a girlfriend or soemthing, that's what i ended up doing.
Old 10-16-2003
Its a celebration bitches!

HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
my headunit has a external video/audio processor. it has its own freaking fan on it. and it also allows me to turn off that amp, in case i have a amp. kenwood kvt-910
Old 10-16-2003
Registered!!

petes97 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you've got a $500-700 headunit, you're going to get hosed if you try to sell it anyways.
Old 10-16-2003
The LA Clipper

...wow, this is an old topic
Old 10-16-2003
Registered!!

Subrage is an unknown quantity at this point
But if you get a deck that has no internal amp, and is that expensive. Why do you think its that expensive because its good, and peole that know something will actually give a dam.

Eclipse 8051 Owns me
Old 10-16-2003
Registered!!

4Saris is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by fonto
...wow, this is an old topic
I don't get it.......
Someone posts a topic covered before, people beyotch.
Someone searches and builds on a topic, people beyotch.

Which is it? Do you want people to post repetitive questions or do you want people to search? Maybe I'm a little heated, but's that because everytime I see someone has searched, another forum Natzi says it old.

As for the topic, the local guru at the audio shop says in mid level systems, you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the amplified one and passive HU. Also, it seems as if the passive ones are more expensive. I suggest you use you save some cash and get the amplified one. What happens if you blow a channel in the amp, yep, you can use your headunit.
Old 10-16-2003
§C§H§O§C§O§B§O

chocobo15_2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok...i have the alpine 7998 HU..and i have one comment to make... F*CKING GET IT!!!

I had a pioneer 8400...suck my *** for all i care about that one...too many issues with mp3 cd's not working. This alpine reads EVERYTHING, u got a damaged CD? no problem, if it was the pioneer? skip skip skip glitch glitch, i sold that sucker 1 month after i bought it.

the alpine hides itself, decently protective against thieves, unless they know u have an alpine 7998 and decide to pull the whole unit out. Superb sound, and another thing it has which not all HU's have, is the time correction funtion, u'll see it as the "t-corr" button, which correct the timing of each speaker (you have to do the correction of course, its not automatic) to "aim" sound at a specific area in the car. By changing the delay time which each speaker hits, you can "hit" any desired spot in the car. I set mine to hit the drivers seat ^_^

The display doesn't get in the way of anything, though it doesn' t have the cool graphics of the pioneer 8400, i think u can dl custom animations though, i never tried...

Neway, i've talked long enuf, if you have the $$, get it...i got mine off ebay for around $500, if u got hookups its even better. Don't worry about the no internal amp...its better...like everyone's said already, its for hardcore audiophiles who want crisp sound out of even the most shittiest speakers. U have a 4 chan amp already so ur set to go.

I have no regrets with this HU, been usin it for a few months now, and i'm very happy. I got diamond audio components up front and geting alpine 6x9's in the back soon.