I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

adire audio shivas

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HaLcYoN is an unknown quantity at this point
adire audio shivas

Hey
How many watts could i push two 12" shivas?? and were they actually designed to be used for home audio???
Old 02-20-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
they were originally intended for home audio use, yes. thus the 1.8 sealed minimum reccommended spec for a box. you could feed them about 500 rms each, but i would reccommend something more along the lines of 600-800 for the pair
Old 02-20-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
i just bought 3, and whenever i do finish my box (gonna take way too long) i'll probably give them between 1400 and 1600 watts (to all 3)
Old 02-21-2003
Registered!!

is there a huggeee difference in quality that separates the shivas from the brahmas. Like.. a big enough difference to justify the pricing gap (shiva: $125 brahma: $369)?
Old 02-21-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
sound similar, brahmas need a ****load more power and get alot alot louder. they are smaller box woofers, and no, the price is not justified. you can find woofers that perform as good as brahma for less money.

i dare you to find a better performing woofer than a shiva for $125 or less
cause it doesnt exist [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] same with $150 or less for a tempest, cause it also dont exist [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-21-2003
Registered!!

DizWikedCivic is on a distinguished road
i think fonto has those subs u can ask him
Old 02-21-2003
Registered!!

hmm... now im torn between getting 2 tempests or 2 shiva's... would 2 tempests fit in our trunk without any modifications to the trunk itself?
Old 02-21-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
youd need a SICK box for 2 tempests... im going through a nice LONG process trying to fit 3 shiva's as it is... damn 1.8 cf per sub
Old 02-21-2003
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
[hr]Originally posted by: DizWikedCivic
i think fonto has those subs u can ask him[hr]

Ludlam and WR also have the subs too (Temp or Shivas) so I would be inclined to listen to them. Recently I have read some bad reviews of Adire products having similiar problems to the ones that I had, but I think that Adire has gotten back on track and I am sure a Shiva or two will perform well for you. My main problem was a glue problem, so it was a problem that happens from time to time with any speaker manufacturer.

Just another question about the Shiva though: I have only have had a Shiva in one size box (1.4 with 1.5 pounds of Poly). I know that in a home audio environment that a larger box is needed. In a car audio environmnet wouldn't the Shiva sound good in a box slightyly smaller then 2 cubes because of the rising cabin gain at lower frequencies?
Old 02-21-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: HaLcYoN
hmm... now im torn between getting 2 tempests or 2 shiva's... would 2 tempests fit in our trunk without any modifications to the trunk itself?[hr]
freeair, yes.

ported, no

sealed no

well, this is a misnomer, yes sealed AND ported, but youd be choking in both counts.

to run 2 tempests freeair, (ghetto freeair) alls you gotta do is mount them on a board and fire them forwarrd into the cabin at teh trunk/.cabin boundary, with towels and such to try and seal up the air as best you can. true freeair, teh trunk and cabin are completely sealed fomr each other (trunk or cabin dont need to be sealed fgrom outside, jsut each other)
Old 02-21-2003
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
two tempest can fit in our trunks if you use two boxes and then you can get creative from there.
Old 02-21-2003
Registered!!

they want alotta space, adire gives really small numbers as their minimums for ideal performance.

2 tempests ideally have 8 cubes minimum sealed, 9 cubes minimum ported. thats alotta space!

this box is 4 cubes sealed, you can see how there is NO WAY this box alone would fit in a civic, much les two of them [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

Old 02-21-2003
Registered!!

How big does the box for 2 shivas have to be if they're in a sealed enclosure? Is it possible to 2 of them bump relatively hard, but still have trunk space??
Old 02-21-2003
Registered!!

the issue isnt loud, its quality of sound. I got a story for you.

I put a single shiva in a single cab s-10. the guy bought all teh components, and i visited for a weekend to build him a box. He got all hisparts well in advance, and was using an old 1 cube box made from particleboard jsut to get SOME sort of sounds in his car. he was not happy at all, and understandably so, his truck sounded like trash. and didnt get loud to boot.

The moral of the story is, that shivas NEED that space in order to sound good. 1.8 per is best. you can easily fit a 4 cube box in yrou civic for a pair, itll leave some space, but not much.

If space is your concern, then look elsewhere. shiva isnt for people who want space, its for people who want quality of sound, who want extended low range, at a decent price.

If you want to put a shiva in a 1 cube box, get a pair of kenwoods from best buy or something, you cna put those in 1 cube and they will sound jsut as bad as if you choke that shiva. Its not worth buying a good subwoofer of your gonna put it in a crappy install, even if it is a bargain subwoofer.

As to how the s-10 plpayed out, we were able to squeeze a 1.9 cube box back there, and he apologized for doubting me when we got it tuned. shiva + small cabin like a truck = rediculously loud, clean, and low.

shiva is a fantastic woofer, but if your gonna go through the trouble of buying a quality woofer, give it a quality install. you wont be dissapointed.

If you cant give it a quality install, just get some audiobahns or something, they get loud plenty fine like anything else.