I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

I have to lose my sub box!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003
The Man, Myth and Legend

Location: Western Canada, where the beer is cold and the women are HOT!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZMan2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to lose my sub box!!!

I just found out that my wife is pregnant. I gotta say that even though this is a surprise, I'm as excited as I can be. The only thing is I have to lose the sub box. Right now I've got a 2.5cu. in. vented box with 2 10" MTX subs. I can't fit a stroller and other baby stuff in the trunk with the box back there. So I have been doing some investigating. The first idea was to get a bazooka tube sub, and corner load it on one side. The second idea was to find out if the JLAudio stealth box would fit in my sedan. Well, here's the two problems, I can't find a reputable dealer here in Calgary that sells Bazooka tubes. And the JLAudio box is about $900 Canadian. Sure it comes loaded with a sub, but no amp. So I checked out the third idea, getting a box custom made to fit in the rear corner, between the wheel well and the tail lights. That will cost me about $300, no fibreglass. To get a fibreglass one made $5-600. Do these prices seem excessive, or should I try my hand at building another box? It took me about 5 attempts to get the one right that I'm using now. Now, I've got like 7 months to decide, but what do you all think?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-12-2003
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
my advide to you would be this: mount amps to back of seat, build small sealed enclosure in spare tire well, relocate spare tire under car just in case you need it, and put some heavy duty speaker grills over the subs. You should have plenty of space, thats my goal once the weather gets nicer, because right now i have NO trunk space at all!! Congrats on the baby, my girlfriend just had baby girl, she's 8 weeks old now... they grow up fast!!!

Old 02-12-2003
Registered!!

Abstract is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.carlandelectronics.com/01-02_civic_enclosures.htm

$350 each and they are beautiful I have both sides in my car
Old 02-12-2003
Registered!!

thats a lot of money to spend on something, personally I dont think its gunna work that great, you'r subs are gunna be out of phase and there going to be a lot of cancelation, subs should be on the same plain... like I just posted, he'd be better of building a custom box in the spare tire well, it would be much cheaper and sound better.
Old 02-13-2003
The Man, Myth and Legend

Location: Western Canada, where the beer is cold and the women are HOT!
ZMan2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Abstract
http://www.carlandelectronics.com/01-02_civic_enclosures.htm

$350 each and they are beautiful I have both sides in my car[hr]
Thanks for the info man. I just e-mailed them to find out if it will fit in a sedan. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Although I would just do the one side. Like IDQCivic said, I think that having one on each side would cause cancellation and a loss of bass, not double it. And IDQCivic, I did check out a custom install for my car in the spare tire well. It has to be custom, because I have never successfully worked with fibreglass, anything that I make looks horrible and doesn't last. What I was told was to build a box, just MDF is about $300 for a single sub, $450 for two. To get a fibreglass/MDF combo is about $550 for a single $700 for two. And to get one done just like the ones at carlandelectronics.com $700. I was like WTF? So I checked at about 6 places here in my town, and all the prices were within about $25. Thanks to you guys for responding, and thanks for the congrats . I still have about 7 months to decide, but now I have some better ideas than just my own.
Old 02-13-2003
Registered!!

Swiftler is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: ZMan2k2
I just found out that my wife is pregnant. I gotta say that even though this is a surprise, I'm as excited as I can be. The only thing is I have to lose the sub box. Right now I've got a 2.5cu. in. vented box with 2 10" MTX subs. I can't fit a stroller and other baby stuff in the trunk with the box back there. So I have been doing some investigating. The first idea was to get a bazooka tube sub, and corner load it on one side. The second idea was to find out if the JLAudio stealth box would fit in my sedan. Well, here's the two problems, I can't find a reputable dealer here in Calgary that sells Bazooka tubes. And the JLAudio box is about $900 Canadian. Sure it comes loaded with a sub, but no amp. So I checked out the third idea, getting a box custom made to fit in the rear corner, between the wheel well and the tail lights. That will cost me about $300, no fibreglass. To get a fibreglass one made $5-600. Do these prices seem excessive, or should I try my hand at building another box? It took me about 5 attempts to get the one right that I'm using now. Now, I've got like 7 months to decide, but what do you all think?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][hr]
Do you want to sell you speaker box??
Old 02-13-2003
Registered!!

Actually firing at eachother is used in many designs, but yes the phase cancellation can be a good amount, fortunately my Radio allows up to 15 degree adjustment to the sub woofer phase (30 degree difference total with 2 subs) so it counteracts that effect. However it doesn't necessarily mean phase cancellation if you do it. The way around this would be to port your rear deck, this in essence creates a bandpass enclosure using your trunk. But since I hate the way bandpasses sound, I went with dual 12w3v2s and just dialed it out of phase, and damn is all I can say, that is alot of bass and clean too.
Old 02-13-2003
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn those prices are insane for a custom box in the floor of our cars. Actually its really not that hard to do your self. I did it in my old car for around $90

I used wide duct tape and taped the entire wheel wheel, then layed resin in with a paintbrush and layed fiberglass cloth, then more resin. Then just cut a board wider then the wheel wheel and silicone the edges so it seals flat against the trunk floor, cut your hole and your done. Drop a couple subs in. The reason for the duct tape is so if you ever want to remove it then just peel it off. (My old car was a lease and they never knew)
Old 02-14-2003
Registered!!

I think there is a DIY on this site to build a box in your spare tire well, it even give dimensions... You should be able to buy a sheet of 3/4" MDF for no more than 20 bucks. and most places will cut it to whatever size you need, they might charge you like 25 cents per cut but they have those big table saws so it should be easy. Then all you'd have to do is glue, screw, and seal it all together. I think it should be quite simple if you are used to working with tools and wood.
Old 02-15-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tom1178 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok....so if i was to setup my subs, to be firing towards each other in my trunk, like they would be if i spent $700 for these left and right side custom inclosures.....if i used the option of "in-phase" or "out of phase" on my cd player (eclipse 5303R), then it would sound allright? I've played with multiple setups in the cars that i have owned, and i have always found that i get more bass from firing the subs backwards, i've tried up left right down off centered you name it, but if i placed the subs on opposite sides of the trunk, firing towards each other, and set my cd player "out of phase" would it sound decent? $700 is a lot to spend on the theory that it would sound decent. It may sound good to some, but would it be any BETTER or much WORSE than the way it sounds now. What do you all think
Old 02-19-2003
Registered!!

depends on your definition of good. If you mean loud I have no idea, mine can get pretty damn loud, but I'm an SPL person, hence why they are sealed in the first place. My sub adjustment isn't just in or out of phase too, I can actually adjust the degree of phase.