I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Crossover location?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zoooh is an unknown quantity at this point
Crossover location?

Where did you guys mount crossover for the front door components? I just got recieved my new component(JL audio XR650 CSi ) and it's manual says not to mount crossover in the door because moisture might get in. Right now I have crossover in the door... What will be the good place to put it?
Old 02-04-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
I had mine in the door..just make sure their between the door panel and the second layer of sheetmetal and it's plenty okay
Old 02-04-2003
Registered!!

Thank you.

Do you mean the side where the vapor barrier is? I don't quite understand what you mean by second layer of sheet metal...

So it should be in between plastic and metal (cone side of the speaker)
Not in between metal and metal (magnet side of the speaker)
Am I right?

Please let me know....
Old 02-05-2003
Registered!!

noahnoah is an unknown quantity at this point
I had mine installed by a stereo shop and if I remember correctly mine are installed behind the side floor panels that are near your feet. I've taken off my doors numerous time attempting my door handle install and there are no crossovers in the doors. I think I remember stumbling across them there when I was screwing around in my car there. You might try calling a local stereo shop and asking them, they may help you?
Old 02-05-2003
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
I have my Quart crossover in the trunk because it is way to big to have in the door. When i had polks in my car I did mount them in the door and they seemed fine. I recently installed the Polks in my GFs car and I put the x-over in the kicks of her Altima. Anywayz, i think anywhere is fine.
Old 02-05-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tom1178 is an unknown quantity at this point
i mounted my mb quart crossovers in the trunk of my car on my subwoofer box. The only disadvantage to this i guess would be that you need twice as much speaker wire, one for the woofer, one for the tweeter per side running the length of the car, putting them up front would use that much less wire. I like to be able to look at mine though, that's why i did it that way, in my old car i had them mounted one on each side of the center console.
Old 02-05-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
got mine screwed to a board behind the passenger seat, chillin on teh floor. maybe one day ill finish teh top and put it under plexi [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-05-2003
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Tom1178
i mounted my mb quart crossovers in the trunk of my car on my subwoofer box. The only disadvantage to this i guess would be that you need twice as much speaker wire, one for the woofer, one for the tweeter per side running the length of the car, putting them up front would use that much less wire. I like to be able to look at mine though, that's why i did it that way, in my old car i had them mounted one on each side of the center console.[hr]
Mounting them one on each side of the center console is actually good idea! So I have access to them if I want to adjust it. I'll probably use strong double sided tape so I don't have to drill it.
Old 02-05-2003
Registered!!

Regularjoe is on a distinguished road

Heres what I did .....
Old 02-05-2003
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
That looks cool Joe! Does the wiring go into the board and then around or under?
Old 02-05-2003
Registered!!

The wires go through the board to the back side.

I actually used two boards both covered in carpet to do this.

The second pic is a 1/2" pine board that everything mounts on. All wires go to the back side of the board.

The third pic is the second board thats just panelling about 1/8" thick. This hides the wires that come through to the back of the pine board.

The two boards lean toward one another at the top. They sort of form a upside-down V with the wires laying in the middle. Keeps all the wires hidden.

The fourth pic shows the thin board on the back side removed. It is laying over on the left side of the trunk. This is how I get to any of the wires that came through the thick pine board on the front side.
Old 02-05-2003
The LA Clipper

Old 02-06-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tom1178 is an unknown quantity at this point
<<<<Mounting them one on each side of the center console is actually good idea! So I have access to them if I want to adjust it. I'll probably use strong double sided tape so I don't have to drill it.>>>>

Yes i thought it was a very good idea. The only disadvantage to that location was that in my car, they were sitting there in plain sight and i did not have tinted windows and i had a car that was very easy to get into (dodge neon :_doh[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] so if someone else wanted my mb quart Q crossovers, they could have them in a matter of seconds, head unit also, i could take a head unit ouf of a dodge neon in under 30 seconds, it's soooooooooo easy to do, pick the door locks of a dodge neon, takes about 15 seconds, these cars suck, that why i bought a civic, but anyways.....

In the Neon , I mounted the crossovers to each side of the center console with double sided tape, they were there for over a yr, never had a problem they stayed put so it's a good idea, if you don't have people looking at them
Old 02-07-2003
Registered!!

I am thinking about mounting the crossovers in the glove box. It didn't look very hard. I checked fitment and it fits right in. I'll probably remove glove box and drill few holes at the back of it so i can run wire through the holes.

Do you guys see any potential problem with my idea?
Old 06-18-2003
Registered!!

syndrome is an unknown quantity at this point
Whats wrong with mounting the x-over's on the door panels themselves? my resolution x-over's look cool and I think it would add to the audio gallery my car is turning out to be.. what do you guys think?
Old 06-18-2003
Registered!!

Wow. You had to really dig to drag this thread up ......

As far as putting them on the door. I wouldn't wanna drill any holes or anything.

I like mine too so I put them on my amp board between both my amps.