I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Ported or Sealed for OUR Civic Coupes

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noahnoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Ported or Sealed for OUR Civic Coupues

From my understanding I know that sealed boxes give you tighter bass and ported boxes give you deeper bass........SUPPOSEDLY. I wanna know who's had experiences with both boxes and which they preferred better in their civic. also know that the trunk enclosure ITSELF makes a huge difference. I personally prefer deeper sounding and more engulfing bass then just hard hitting bass if you guys out there know what I mean. Any answers would be helpful
Old 02-04-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
With my audiobahn subs (thank god i just ordered new ones) I went through 3 different boxes with them just to test them out

1 - 1.25 cubic feet per sub sealed:
It was ok, they still sounded pretty boomy, but the box was a bit big for them

2 - .85 cubic feet per sub sealed
This was better, a lot tighter and a bit more higher end extension

3 - 1.6 cubic foot per sub ported tuned to 33.5 Hz
This is what I had last, and it did lack a bit of the tightness but it hit a lot lower and a bit louder...

I am about to start an install for 3 adire audio shiva 12" subs in a 6 cubic foot sealed box (1.8 or so per sub after bracing and displacement)
Old 02-04-2003
Registered!!

Hey Lud,
So you do like the ported sound better though? I have 1 L5 Solobaric 12 right now in a ported box but damn it takes up so muc space!! Do you make your own boxes or have someone make them for you. I would like to have 2 12's or 2 10's but to get the bass I want, it doesn't seem like I would have enough room for it. If my box that I have right now was doubled I'd be jumpin on top of my trunk to close it....hahah. Aren't solobarics supposedly one of the best speakers for small enclosures? you know of any other comparable speakers that perform as well or better?
Old 02-04-2003
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
actually, i twas the opposite, i liked my sealed better... the small one, and with the space question, you will never run out of space, Whiterabbit has between 22 and 28 cubic feet for his enclosure in a civic coupe (but it takes the whole trunk and backseat)
Old 02-04-2003
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
I have run both ported and sealed and i think it is a personal preference thing. I had two 10" perfects tuned to just under 40hrtz, and they hit pretty hard, but under that they of coarse would sound kinda messed up at high volumes...if you gonna run ports you wanna tune it low, and run a subsonic filter prolly 10 or less hrts below the tuning frequency.
I have sealed in my car right now, and it actually gets the lower much frequencies better, but the ported perfects we much better at playing the higher frequencies 80 hrtz range (right around the cut-off point). FYI...two ported 10" perfects were louder then two Shivas, but three + Shivas has been louder then the perfects. This all has to do with the traits of the individual speakers for the most part.

All in all I think that the sealed is what i like better because it has a smooth output up until like 70 hrtz or so...and even though I like a lil boominess, the ported ones were a lil too boomy for me without the low end extension. The other thing about ported too, is that all ported boxes will sound different depending on box and port tuning. I ran ported for YEARS, and after awhile you kinda get used to how it plays a certain way and you think that music should play like that...so it may sound really different to go with sealed, but experimentation is the best way to go, and see what you like. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-04-2003
Registered!!

What are shivas anyway, I haven't heard of them. They pretty good speakers?
Old 02-04-2003
Registered!!

Subrage is an unknown quantity at this point
shivas are made by adire audio, good overall speaker and doesnt cost a fourtune.

im gonna run 12 L7' in about a 5-6 cubic ft slot port box. tuned to about 40 hz. i just wanna go spl for a bit. with decent day driving sq
Old 02-04-2003
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
[hr]Originally posted by: noahnoah
I wanna know who's had experiences with both boxes and which they preferred better in their civic. [hr]
ive run both, i prefer ported, but not because its better for our cars, but because i like ported better myself. ported or sealed is a personal opinion, not a measuable thing as to what i sbetter for our cars.

[hr] I personally prefer deeper sounding and more engulfing bass then just hard hitting bass if you guys out there know what I mean[hr]
then woofer for woofer, ported is most likely for you.

Old 02-04-2003
Registered!!

Falcon is an unknown quantity at this point
go with ported

i ran an SWR 10 in a generic sealed (although still within alpines volume specs)

now i run the same sub in a 'custom designed by alpine for the SWR 10' box (just as good as one you would build yourself if you know what you're doing)

now.. the difference is that it used to get about 300W RMS... now it gets 5-600W RMS... so its difficult to comment on now (cause its obviously waaaay louder)

but there was a time when i had it hooked up to my old amp.. you will get a MUCH better output at lower frequency and it will be a deeper, boomier sound

personally, i liked it much better, so i bought it... then changed the amp lol