I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

honda alternator question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chillin4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
honda alternator question

yea guys I was jus wondering if our 70 amp alternator could keep up with a jbl 1200.1 amp or would it not be able to?
Old 12-25-2002
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
I have the JBL and I have not had any problems as of yet. I am running about 1500 watts in my system and everything seems ok [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-25-2002
Registered!!

u serious man? so alls that happen is ur lights dim a bit?
Old 12-26-2002
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
My lights rarely dim, or atleast i don't notice it [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] But they do dim when I roll down my windows while the radio is playin. I have also put in an Optima Yellow Top and upgraded some of the wiring too. I don't blast my radio all of the time too [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
It should hanndle it no problem....At the power levels you'll actually be listening with your amp will most likely be putting out less than 300watts RMS anyhow...just if you reeally crank it and drive for a bit it will probably start to feed off your battery.

At a good rather loud listening level, with some good subs...you'll only be pulling about 30 amps from your alternator..
Old 12-27-2002
Registered!!

Devst8n is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Chillin,

You can use the stock alternator to power your amp system but you should look at adding a cap to your system. If you notice the head lights dimming with the windows dropping and stereo on, that is a pretty good sign that the alternator is having a hard time keeping up. The only true way to test it out is to monitor the voltage from the alternator when its under load and make sure that it doesnt drop too much (< 11 volts) . I have a system that is only drawing about 15 amps and it causes the lights to dim under load. The only cure is to add a good cap (about 1/2 farad for every 150 watts rms) or upgrade the alternator to a high output. Not only will the cap help stabilize voltage and protect the system but since the actual system can pull even more current than it ever could before you will probably notice a cleaner and louder system.

Old 12-27-2002
Registered!!

yo guys thanks for the help
Old 12-28-2002
i boogie for the raindrops

LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
blah... caps are bandaids... do a search
Old 12-29-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Our alternators are terrible! If I have more than two accessories on, my indiglo gauges start to flicker.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

well it's a 70amp alternator..

you have 2 55watt lights on at night, plus the 15 watt marker lights plus the 15 watt break lights, that's 170 watts or 12 amps of draw with lights alone..

the ECU uses up 1 or 2 amps, the ignition uss about 8-9amps depending on how fast yer going. the stock radio can pull about 5 amps..your dash lights and console lights ans guages about 5.

that's 35 amp draw right there..add A/C or even the fan that's another 4amp draw for the fan..it adds up
Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

so would my stereo be okay if i added a cap or a better battery or something? or would that still not work?
Old 12-29-2002
Registered!!

A Cap..or even a better battery won't help any...

A bigger battery would have a higher ESR (more resistance) and would be mor eload to rechargefor your alternator..

Capacitors are bandaids for headlight dimming...they don't help your electrical system in any way..but they do in a minute way keep voltage drops a little more stable and work to prevent dimming for minor bass hits....