I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

good subs for my amp...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rexroth is an unknown quantity at this point
good subs for my amp...

Hello, I have a amp from japan. The manufacturer claims it has 250x4 RMS. I'm planning on bridging it into 2 channel. What subs is suitable, I want a bit of SPL and more on SQ. Some of the store suggests JL W3's 10" on a sealed box. Will it handle 500 watts bridged? And has anyone heard of DIAMOND AUDIO specifically M3 model subs? www.diamondaudio.com
Many Thanks!!!
Old 12-03-2002
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
to begin with, youve got it all backwards man... you start with the subs, then the enclosure, then the amp... every sub sounds different, go out and find a sub that you like the sound to... if they can only handle 250 rms a piece, then run 4 of em at that power =) but remember, the speaker is what makes the sound man...
whats the brand name on the amp... and if its truly that, and you want to give them 500 watts a piece, w3's wont do it for ya, thats too much power there... try a pair of w6v2's those will sound nice...
Old 12-03-2002
Registered!!

Litespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
250x4? That's a big 4 channel amp. Anyway... bridging the amp into 2 channels doesn't necessarily mean it'll put out 250 + 250 = 500 watts. But Ludlam is right, subs first, then you get an amp that suits the sub, not a sub that suits the amp. 10W3's take 250 RMS. I have 2 of them and they sound great. I'm putting about 475 into them cause I have them wired at 4 ohms with a MTX mono block amp.

Those diamond audio subs I hear are pretty decent, but I think you'll be more impressed with the JL's. Try to find a store that sells them and take a listen to them. Get whatever you like best. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-03-2002
i boogie for the raindrops

LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
another thing about the diamonds is that they require massive port length
Old 12-08-2002
Registered!!

rexroth is an unknown quantity at this point
My bro bought those amp for me. It was originally for solobaric L5 10", but as i shopped around, i heard lots of bad comments on solobarics (no offense to those who has one), and i kinda wanted SQ not SPL anymore. I heard that MB QUART and JL's make a hell of a good sound for SQ's also Boston Coustics PRO series...Thats whys i kinda went the wrong way on shopping for a good set-up. But, yeah, I want an SQ, 2 10" on a sealed custom box....Do you guys have opinions,,thanks again....
Old 12-09-2002
Registered!!

mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay, there's no such thing as matching an amp to a sub...1 watt is 1 watt...doesn't matter if it's a JL watt, or zapco watt. electricity isn't affected [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]....

There's only 2 japanese 4 channels that out that much power to my knowledge, 1 is over $15,000 the other is a rebadged Pyramid..there could be more..but those are the only 2 I know of. if it's a 4 channel amp does it have 2 sets of low pass crossovers..or a low pass for the fromt chanel and a high pass for the rear channel... if it has a low for front, high for rear, only the front channel can be used for subs unless you buy an active outboard crossover.

as for subs the solobarics are awrsome SQ subs and took home I beleive 2 world championships last year in SQ in 2 different classes...it's all about setup. Sealed they can sound incredible but SPL really suffers... Ported, I haven't heard an SQ competition sound system..but I did feel my kidneys shake [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].. for your application it's VERY dependant on how much you want to spend and how much room your willing to sacrifice...there are a billion and 1 subs that fit into the category of what your asking....which ones do you like the look of..how much you wanna shell out????