I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

isomount???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dups is an unknown quantity at this point
isomount???

What is an isomount? I saw somebody mention something about it in another thread but didn't understand what they meant. How does it differ from a normal install with a dash kit and all? It was talked about as a good secure way to install a headunit because it would just be a pain for a theif to try to get out. Anybody know anything about this? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2002
Registered!!

AlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really nice
Alot of Toyota's and Nissan's use Isomount for their radio's. In a nut shell all it means is that the unit is mounted to the car usually screwed in from the side's to some factory brackets instead of using install kits. It is true it is a pain for thieves to take an isomount radio but usually causing lots of damage to the car it self.
Old 11-25-2002
Registered!!

how would I go about doing an isomount or finding instructions for doing an isomount in our cars? Cause I figure I'll do an isomount and then get the factory alarm, which should be enough I would think to protect my radio. Obviously the professional theives will still get it, but it will keep the common theives out! What do you do for the dash? Could I use the metra kit that lets me keep my OEM pocket and all? I need to find out how this works! Thanks!
Old 11-25-2002
Registered!!

Abstract is an unknown quantity at this point
The AI kit allows you to iso mount and it looks so much better. If I get around to taking pictures one day I'll show you.
Old 11-25-2002
Registered!!

where do you get that kit from?
Old 11-25-2002
Registered!!

DBDIJON is an unknown quantity at this point
Using the Metra kit looks really good as well. You get to keep the factory pocket and still ISO mount the deck. With the Metra kit though the bolt holes don`t line up exactly from the frame that holds in the deck to the holes on the side of the deck. You will need to drill small holes through the plastic of the dash kit to make it line up perfectly. We do this all the time in our shop and it looks great.
Old 11-25-2002
Registered!!

ok I'm still not quite following, where would you drill and all? I'm really interested in doing this because my #1 reason for not buying a new HU is how easily it could get stolen, and if this would slow them down a lot then I would be really interested. I would also feel better about buying a factory alarm, because it would be such a pain to remove the stereo that a really good alarm would seem to be overkill when all I'm worried about is what is inside my car. You guys are such a good help! thanks!
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
if they decide to steal your radio, its theirs. if they cant take it, they will break it. the way to deter theft is to not advertise you have a stereo to begin with. no parking lot bumping, turning down teh music a few blocks before you reach your destination, etc, etc, etc.

but theft happens when it happens.
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

Its funny that I've been talking about this. I just talked to a guy at work today that drives an older accord w/ an aftermarket cd player installed. He had it done like an isomount and his car got stolen, when they found it only the cd player was taken and they cracked is dashboard open to get the freaking thing out. Maybe I won't bother doing that, if they wanna take it at least take it without damaging the car!
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

scsGrumPyDriveR is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: DBDIJON
Using the Metra kit looks really good as well. You get to keep the factory pocket and still ISO mount the deck. With the Metra kit though the bolt holes don`t line up exactly from the frame that holds in the deck to the holes on the side of the deck. You will need to drill small holes through the plastic of the dash kit to make it line up perfectly. We do this all the time in our shop and it looks great.[hr]

Mmm. i used the Metra kit and all the holes lined up perfectly. No drilling necessary.

Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

DBDIJON is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm. Maybe was just the way the holes lined up on the JVC head unit. Not real sure.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]