I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

infinity tweeters harsh

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dups is an unknown quantity at this point
infinity tweeters harsh

I have infinity 605cs speakers installed up front, pioneer 6x9 3-ways in the back and a Pioneer 300Watt amplifier (35x4rms I think), and still running off the stock HU cause I haven't been able to bring myself to replace my headunit yet. How come when the volume gets turned up the tweeters on the reference 605cs speakers starts to sound harsh. You can only get it so loud without it really hurting your ears because of the tweeters. Is this due to the amount of power I'm sending or what? Thanks.
Old 11-21-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
try turning down the gain some. put it on the lowest setting, crank the stereo up to about 2/3 max, then up the gain till it gets piercing. then back off the gain a bit.

however, quite possibly part of your problem would be the stock head unit too. using speaker levels will hurt the sound quality, likely the source of the noise is clipping thats going on. if the volume would make your stock system sound bad, it will do the same to your good system. even a marginal HU will solve this problem if you use RCA connections.

good luck w/ that.
Old 11-21-2002
Registered!!

NitehawkVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same components as you, and I too have the problem that the tweeters sound a bit harsh. it seemed worse when i first got them. maybe i've damaged my ears, or gotten used to them. I'm running a Clarion HU right now. and I was running a Nakamichi HU and running them off that and they sounded quite good. I'm going to amp the things shortly (hopefully).

where are your tweets mounted?
Old 11-21-2002
Registered!!

I have the tweets mounted in the original tweeter pods that come w/ the coupe. I can't seem to bring myself to replace my stock HU yet. I'm worried about it getting stolen, and also I like how the original fits in the dash.
Old 11-21-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, there is your problem imo. Tweets mounted up at that level tend to get harsh imo. They are so close to your ear distance wise and almost on the same level. You think yours are bright, shiet! Try listening to my quarts mounted in the door next to the door handle. I don't think you know what bright is. Anyhow, I don't know but my alpine has adjustments for the frequency which I am not sure exactly what they do but messing with that helped to tone done the quarts a wee bit. Also, the quart crossovers have the same function w/i them that you can change frequency as well. I don't know if my vocab is right or really what I am talking about but see if you have any kind of adjustment like that.

Ultimately, I think the tweets need to be mounted lower if you like to play music at high volume levels. I am dealing with the same problem now. Only, I cut holes in my door so my options are limited. They get super loud w/o much problem but I like me music loud enough for me and the guy in the car 2 lanes over - w/the windows up!
Old 11-22-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
the problem is teh tweet itself. infinity is classic for having harsh tweets. you wanna hear harsh? play infinity perfect components and send them 200 RMS [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] now THAT is the definition of harsh [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-22-2002
Registered!!

Yeah, well I'm getting closer and closer to replacing my HU with a nice pioneer or Kenwood with an Organic EL display but I'm so afraid of my car getting broken into. I don't have an alarm but an alarm won't stop somebody from taking my HU, and I don't want to spend money on a HU AND an alarm because I just don't have that kind of extra cash for an alarm.
Old 11-22-2002
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
i have infinity perfects in my other car and theyre friggin bright. and im only running 50w rms amp to em!
Old 11-22-2002

Amer786 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem, but I have an aftermarket deck, check my posting , you will find suggestions there from members on this board.
Old 11-22-2002

Amer786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys, it is better to run a four channel amp to the components (ie hooking up tweets and mids on seperate channels) or use a four channel amp to amp the rears and the components (one mid-tweet pair to one channel and the other pair to the other channel) or just amp the use a 2 channel to amp the components?

Should I change the speaker wire when installing the amp or is it ok to use the stock wire.
Old 11-23-2002
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Use a 2 channel amp for the components and use the crossovers that came with the component set, otherwise you'll be going thru tweeters pretty quick. You can use a four channel amp if you want to power your components and rear speakers tho.

Replacing the factory speaker is a good thing if your runnning an amplifier. I would use atleats 16-14 guage wire.

Old 11-23-2002
Registered!!

so is the 35W I'm sending them ok? OR should I power my pioneers off of the stock HU's power and run the infinity's bridged on my amp so they get like 70W each? I just want to make sure 35W isn't underpowering them too much. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2002
Registered!!

I'd run all the power to the infinities and brigde the channels on the hu for the rear speakers. 35watts just isn't doing those infinities justice.
Old 11-23-2002
Registered!!

Would briding them for more power give better midbass and such? or does it really just protect the speakers or what? I'm just trying to decide if it would still sound good with the rears on stock HU power and the infinity's on the 70x2
Old 11-23-2002
Registered!!

Falcon is an unknown quantity at this point
with the stock HU cranked to high volumes and the stock tweeters ill get crackle or high frequency vibrations (that produce a 'buzzing' sound) with certain music

the problem is that the tweeters seem to be maxing out, while the 5 1/2 in the doors and the 6x9 in the back are not

so even when i reduce the treble (on the stupid HU 2 band eq) i cant max out the volume

anyone else run into this??
Old 11-25-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: WhiteRabbit
the problem is teh tweet itself. infinity is classic for having harsh tweets. you wanna hear harsh? play infinity perfect components and send them 200 RMS [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] now THAT is the definition of harsh [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][hr]
It's no secret that I am no expert at car audio but I don't see how the infinities could even imagine being as harsh as the titanium dome quart tweeters. I am sure the infinities get harsh but the quarts will draw blood.
Old 11-25-2002
Registered!!

Well I rewired stuff yesterday afternoon, took 5 minutes. But the infinity's definately sound better with more power. The only downside is now it seems way off balance. If I had a sub it would probably be fine. I'll have to do some fine tuning over thanksgiving. Thanks!