I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

after market h.u. security

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BiggBoo is an unknown quantity at this point
after market h.u. security

i was wondering how could i hide my detatchable face h.u., so it doesnt show that i have a unit in there. any chance i could use the factory face plate to hide the aftermarket one?
i looking for suggestions.
thanx
Old 11-20-2002
Registered!!

AlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really nice
Only thing I can think of trying is yes take apart your factory radio take the front of it and use it as a cover. You may need to sink back your Aftermarket radio to make this look right but it might work.
Old 11-20-2002
Registered!!

dups is an unknown quantity at this point
If you get an aftermarket HU, upgraded speakers and amp what can you do to try to keep it from getting stolen? Thats the only reason I haven't upgraded my HU yet is that I'm worried about my stuff getting stolen, with what I have now nobody would know the difference just by looking. And nobody steals stock stuff.... do they?
Old 11-20-2002
Registered!!

JDog2001CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually if somebody wants to **** you off they would steal your stock head unit because it costs more to replace than most aftermarket head units!!!!

I got my stuff jacked a few weeks back when I was on vacation, my insurance company told me to file my claim with the stock head unit,

Aftermarket Kenwood Exceleon - $350
Stock head unit form Honda of Lisle, IL - $620

You decided how much money you want back???? Now I am running a $400 Clarion that is bolted into dash of the car, can't even get it out with a screwdriver jammed into the CD player, trust me, two punks tried it a week ago at the bowling alleys I go to. And yes I do live in a high crime area of Aurora, usually 5-6 cars broken into per week, AT LEAST, if not more.

Joe
Old 11-20-2002
Registered!!

BiggBoo is an unknown quantity at this point
how would i go about sinking in my after market h.u.?
any suggestions?
Old 11-20-2002
Registered!!

so wait, did you get your stock HU stolen or what? I don't understand what happened cause you said your insurance company told you to file a claim on the stock HU.... I'm just confused and I want to understand the facts cause maybe it would be better for me to buy an aftermarket HU.
Old 11-20-2002
Registered!!

[hr]how would i go about sinking in my after market h.u.?[hr]
Well I personally wouldn't want to rip apart the OEM HU, but thats just me. You would probably have to come up with your own kit of some sort because the stock HU fills up the space that a dash kit fills in. I am by far not an expert on this stuff. But I don't know how you could do it because if you wanted to be able to put the stock HU in front of your aftermarket HU it would seem that while you're using your HU you wouldn't have any kind of dash kit to fill in the space around it. but like I said, I'm no expert on this stuff so I really don't know for sure.
Old 11-20-2002
Registered!!

scsGrumPyDriveR is an unknown quantity at this point
cut a retangular ghetto card board out and just stick it in there with some fake tapes flying all around ..... it'll look so ghetto and busted. that i don't think anyone would bother breakinng in the car.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-21-2002
Registered!!

My insurance ADJUSTER, not the company told me to let the insurance COMPANY know that the stock head unit was stolen because then they would give me more money back then what I would if I told them that I had a aftermarket head unit stolen.

So My aftermarket head unit was stolen, but I told the insurance company that my stock was stolen because the stock costs more money to replace......Just one way to try to get back some of the few 1000's of dollars I have dumped into insurance on my cars and never gotten a red cent back from their a$$.

It may be wrong to do that but you know what I was doing what the adjuster told me to do
Old 11-21-2002
Registered!!

BlueTroll is an unknown quantity at this point
u serious???... that piece of crap stock HU costs that much????....... holy geez.
Old 11-21-2002
Registered!!

alphabios is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: BlueTroll
u serious???... that piece of crap stock HU costs that much????....... holy geez.[hr]
HU, no...it's all the BS markup that middle men make along the way to getting it in the car. All the aftermarket stuff is sold with fewer middlemen to the consumer. A guy in my Econ/Stat class did a report on this crap a few days ago, it was actually interesting
Old 11-22-2002
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
If someone wants your deck bad enough they are going to take in regardless of how you make it look. They are a couple different kits out there to mount the aftermarket cd players in our cars, unfortuantly the metra kit with the pocket under it is the worst. You can take the deck out of that kit in about 30 seconds. The safest way as far as antitheft is to do an isomount and dont even bother with a kit. You will have to redrill the factory bracket in order to make the new deck sit in there and look right but it also helps against skipping. Once you do that and reinstall the 8mm's that come out from underneath, it will be a really pain in the ***** to steal the aftermarket deck. Especially if you have a car alarm, no one is hanging around to take all the bolts out with an alarm blazing in their ear.
Old 11-22-2002
Registered!!

I'm not familiar with the terms, what is an isomount and how does it differ from using a kit? And where would you have to redrill, if this would slow people down I would definately consider doing this. And is the factory alarm sufficient enough if all I'm concerned about is protecting my audio equipment? I don't have 300-500 to spend on a good alarm AND a good HU.
Old 11-27-2002
Registered!!

FActory alarm sucks [IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]

Honda coudln't protect my $hit. Their alarm won't even go off until you try to hot wire the car and then it might not even go off. I used to work for Honda of Lisle, and half of the Si's from 99-00 that they had on the lot said they had factory alarms, but everyone selling them knew that Honda just put that on there to increase the value of the sale. If you really want to **** Honda dealers off, tell them to set your alarm off so you can make sure it works. THEY CAN'T DO IT.