I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

power needs...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cypher is an unknown quantity at this point
power needs...

i want to build a setup that inlcudes 2 amps...one 2 channel for subs at around 700 watts and a 4 channel at 4 x 100...would the stock alt on our cars be able to handle that ? cause i have no idea...[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-20-2002
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
yuuuup... no problem
Old 11-20-2002
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
This is a funny recurring issue. I dono if the different models have different amperage outputs, but I have talked to many 7th gen owners who have high power stereo setups. Some people have no dimming with a huge amount of power, some people do. I only have one JL 250/1 and when I am stopped at night with my lights on, if I have it cranked, I have some dimming. If that is happening, you know it is putting a strain on your alternator, bottom line. As to how long the alternator can keep up with it depends on how loud you play it and for how long. If you have it cranked everytime you are in the car, it is going to burn up quick, if you don't it should last for a long time...just depends. I would recommend getting a cap and a good aftermarket battery. Optima red top batteries are good.
Old 11-20-2002
Registered!!

Cypher is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah it seems like some cars dim very quick and some dont...its wierd
Old 11-20-2002
Registered!!

jrhutchss is an unknown quantity at this point
get a cap and you shouldn't have any problems[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-20-2002
i boogie for the raindrops

LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
no my friend, cap is merely a bandaid ... i have no time to rant about it now, but if ya give me till tonight, ill be happy to tell you why... or mohawk, whiterabbit, one of you, help me out on this... im tired
Old 11-20-2002
Registered!!

AlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really nice
I have a four amp setup with the stock Alternator: 2-MRV-F540 and 2-MRD-M500. My M500's are Digital Mono Block Amp's and use very little Amperage so when my bass hit's I get very little or no dimming, but I've seen other's that seem like their car's gonna turn off.
Old 11-20-2002
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, Ludlam is right. All a cap does is store current b/w the battery and amp. When the amp hits, it draws current from the cap instead of directly of of the battery. But, whenever the amp pulls from the cap, the cap in turn pulls from the battery, so you still have lots of current being pulled from the battery. The good of having a cap is that it keeps a constant supply of current flowing to the amp when it needs it so that the amp has enough current to continuously hit peak bass notes.
Old 11-21-2002
Registered!!

doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
when your car is stopped, almost everyone's lights have some dimming. heck, the a/c or power windows will make them dim (park in the garage w/ the lights on, and push both the buttons in the front sometime).

dimming on the highway is where you have a real problem (ja rule at 80mph did it for me). your alt will give what it's got, which 130 amps is gonna be fine. my setup was almost the same as yours, and unless it was fully cranked, it was fine (except for a few bass heavy songs).

a bass hit requires (in theory) an infinite amount of current for a very small period of time, no matter what. so no setup can fix this, only make it slightly better.