I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002
spoiledsteph

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

OK. I have a generic amp, Pyramid which has RMS@4ohms 85x4, @2 125x4, max power 300x4. THis morning as i was driving home from work, my subs just stopped working. THey were JBL somethings...so i went and got some new ones. THese are the specs for the subs....now my question is this....my amp doesn't work at all, won't even light up. i used my old kenwood one to check and see if it will work with that one, and it won't. what kind of amp should i get to run these speakers? wattage size and everything? any help will help....3412 specs

sorry so big...scanner is new and im retarded. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-17-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay..I mean no disrespect but Pyramid is a joke..thir amps are pretty much good as paper weights..they don't put out anywhere near that their rated for..they overheat..they blow...Consider it part of the learning curve [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].. Get rid of the amp and get something a bit better...and greatly reduce the chance of setting your car on fire [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-17-2002
spoiledsteph

yeah i know they are crap. so what should i get? i don't know much about amps, so any advice/help/input would help me out.
Old 11-17-2002
Registered!!

well...the eternal question..how much you willing to spend [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-17-2002
spoiledsteph

ummm.....around 150-300.... closer to like 200....something that will bump mu ish, but won't break the bank.....
Old 11-17-2002
Registered!!

Earthquake $159shipped

Lighting S2.300 $169 shipped Better crossovers than the earthquake..also puts out about 400Wrms and not the 300 it's rated for [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]..little ugly tho.

Hope this helps..
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slikor is an unknown quantity at this point
i am not sure yet about the quality and/or longevity of this amp, but i recently got a Profile California 600MSX mono sub amp from Circuit City for $129.99 plus tax. it's rated 300WRMS@4ohms, 410WRMS@2ohms (granted, those ratings are for 14.4V input so the actual wattage would be less) and im gonna be running one Alpine Type-R 12" Dual 4ohm Voice Coil sub in a custom 0.9ft^3 sealed box (after subtracting the sub's volume it'll be about 0.78ft^3 which should be good for this sub since its recommended sealed volume is 0.7-1.0ft^3). i will be hooking it all up tonight and i'll let you know how it sounds, but that amp is definately a great deal and i think they are pretty good.
Old 11-18-2002
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
Steph, when I have ordered some things from online car stereo it took one day to get the stuff...so if you order that LA amp that Mohawk recomended it should only take two days to get. I also don't think it is too ugly...it will look nice if the rest of the stuff in your trunk is black and silver.
Old 11-20-2002
spoiledsteph

ok, i fixed my amp...it works now. but the subs aren't hitting like they should be. i heard somewhere (long time ago) that sometimes the subs can balance each other out. like one is pushing out, while the other is going in, so in effect no sound is coming out. how can i fix this if this is the problem....how can i check for it? im gettin really tired of no bass.......
Old 11-20-2002
Ed
Registered!!

Ed will become famous soon enoughEd will become famous soon enough
Make sure the two subs are wired correctly, the positives are all connected right and all negatives are connected to the right pole on the subs.
Old 11-20-2002
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't forget, I don't know what kind they are but if these subs are dual voice coil, you have to connect both of them which means you have 2 positive and two negative posts per sub. As for the box, you may want to reconsider a box with a divider for separate sub chambers which will make it easier to target and troubleshoot the problems you are having.
Old 11-20-2002
spoiledsteph

ok, the subs have 4 prong like things on the back, and my box wires have only 2 "hooks." the way i wired em is the 2 "hooks" go to the 2 outside prongs. this is for both subs....just try switching the wires around on both subs? or should all 4 prong thingies on the subs be hooked up?
Old 11-20-2002
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
OMG, there is your problem, you have to wire in both voice coils.
Try this.

Here is a pic.
Old 11-20-2002
spoiledsteph

[hr]Originally posted by: andyman97
OMG, there is your problem, you have to wire in both voice coils.
Try this.

Here is a pic.[hr]
ok but the wire in the sub box only has 2 hooks on it. how do i connect it to all 4 prong things? should i jsut take it to a pro to fix it? and would they charge me a grip? i don't know too much about audio (obviously)...
Old 11-20-2002
Turbo Guru

You only need two wires if you run them in paralell, try that link for the pic, it shows you how to wire them.
Old 11-22-2002
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think what you have is single voice coil subs where one is wired wrong, or out of phase. Does this look like the 4 prongs your talking about? (hopefully the attachment works)

You only need the hook up to 2 of the prongs doesnt matter if its the outer 2 or inner 2. Just make sure they are hooked up the same.
The easiest way to tell if this is the problem is to just flip flop 1 of your subs + and - at the back of the box or at the amp.

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] terminal.jpg (31 Kb)
Old 11-22-2002
spoiledsteph

yeah one sub was wired wrong. so i fixed it. they both work now....what i gotta do now is unhook the amp from teh back of the seat and put it on my box....thats easy, but im just too lazy to do it right now. and its hotter than a ***** here now.....so i will just wait.....but thanks for all the help......