I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

I know nothing

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002
AR
e-married to daydreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AR will become famous soon enough
I know nothing

Yes as you may know, I know nothing when it comes to audio sound. I have a decent HU, but it's rather old school. It's a pioneer DEH-P5200. How did I get a hold of it if I have an 02 civic? I had it in my old car and had it removed once my car was totaled. It means alot to me, and I am willing to deal with this head unit. What would be my next advisable step into getting some better quality sound into my whip. Front/back speakers... an amp...subs (10"s/12"s), I need some advice. I would be willing to pick out an amp but I know nothing about what size and power to go for[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]. Limme cut it short and let you guys help me out. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

thanks for your time and your help.
Alex
Old 11-06-2002
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
You are going to have to make you question a bit more specific. There are so many people on this forum and I guaruntee you that almost everyone of them has a different preference with brands, power ratings, size of subs and amps. You need to go down to a car stereo shop and listen to some different things and satisfy your own taste. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2002
AR
e-married to daydreamer

helps enough next time im at best buy or circut city ill write some of the stuff i see down.
Old 11-06-2002
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
ya, your going to have to be more specific. such as what kind of music do you listen to. whats more important sound quality or how loud it is. or are they both just as important. whats your budget like?
Old 11-06-2002
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
circuit city and best buys dont have the good stuff
Old 11-06-2002
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
But they have decent stuff for you average person, and you have 30 days to return stuff if you don't like it ...not questions asked. Online is the cheapest though, by far.
Old 11-06-2002
AR
e-married to daydreamer

fonto is that your girl too shaking her ****? props man, props
Old 11-07-2002
Registered!!

Litespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Check out Crutchfield. You don't have to buy stuff from them but they have a lot of stuff. They also have a lot of info about car audio so if you have questions you can just read their faq and whatnot. This isn't the only site you can go to but I usually go here for reference purposes.
Old 11-07-2002
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I do like Crutchfield, but you can't hear it online (and they don't sell JL.) Even if you have to drive a ways, trust me, it is worth it. Spend your money on what satisfies you, don't assume it is good just b/c everyone says that it does. Be your own person and decide for yourself. Better to be happy with it than miserable cuz it sounds like sh*t. BTW, I have never heard anyone say that they did not like JL Audio...they are truly an excellent brand with excellent quality and components for almost every taste. But don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself.
Old 11-07-2002
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
No, the girl shakin her *** is NOT my girlfriend...but my GF wishes that was her! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 11-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
Ok, I'll take a stab at this, and try not to recommend anything brand specific.

Let's start in the front with the HU. You'll kick yourself if you don't get an MP3 compatible player. I love mine and couldn't ever go back to the old cd player.

The front doors have 6.5" speakers with 2 inches of depth. The rears are 6x9 in the coupe, and 6.5" in the sedan. The coupe has 3 7/16 depth in the rears, and the sedan has 8" depth. This info is from Crutchfield's chart in their catalog. You can actually put 5.25" or 6.5" speakers in the front, depending on whether you're going cheap with the 5's or just want to use some component (separates) speakers with 5.25" midranges. Either way, you can't just pull out the old and slide in the new ones. The factory door speakers are one piece and pop in. Click here and you'll see what I mean. Some people gut out the originals and mount the new ones in there. You could make or buy an adapter plate. If you get them from crutchfield, they'll send you a mounting plate and speaker connectors free.

The rear speakers in the coupe are a pain in the **** to get to, but it can make a difference if you replace them. I did a quickie DIY: Rear Speaker Install for Coupe that you might want to read before attemping it. It involves a lot of work and some people might rather let an audio shop do it for them. Many 6x9's simply do not fit because of the trunk bar getting in the way. You could put some 6.5's back there in an adapter plate, or even 5.25's if you like. If you're going to get a subwoofer anyway, it doesn't make much sense to get 6x9's for the rear, unless you want them for some mid-bass.

I can't really recommend anything for a sub, because there's so many different ways to do it. Such as buying a pre-made box with speaker or separately; having one custom made for you, maybe in the spare tire well or rear side panel; a bazooka tube or triangle sub. Some come with a built-in amplifier to simplify setup, but they're usually underpowered.

Here's a few tidbits of sub info I've learned over the years: sealed boxes sound great, but require lots of power; vented/ported boxes don't require a lot but tend to be too boomy and inaccurate; amplified subs are a good alternative unless you want it very loud or very high quality; those hatchback subs with multiple woofers and tweeters are junk; bandpass boxes give you the worst of vented and sealed boxes (i got some of this info from an audio expert, trophy winner, and box builder in Atlanta. I heard the trophy winning Isuzu Amigo...trust me here..my ears are still ringing). Transmission line boxes give you the most sound, but they require an expertise in building that few audio shops have today.

Best advise on choosing brands is to shop around, a lot, and find what you like. Most of the guys who work in audio shops (not best buy and circuit city) have some killer systems and love to show them off.
Old 11-07-2002
Registered!!

dups is an unknown quantity at this point
what 6x9's actually fit in the rear of the coupe with no modification? I heard the crutchfield listings were off a little bit, is that true?
Old 11-09-2002
AR
e-married to daydreamer

props to bellz. thank you.