I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

alpine type r 12" sub

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civichx81 is an unknown quantity at this point
alpine type r 12" sub

does any one know if a 300 watt amp will push it? or should i use at least 500 watts...
Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

OPGForce is an unknown quantity at this point
depends on the amp...class a/b or d???

Here are the "Power Handling" specs:

Power Handling Capacity (Peak) : 1000W
Power Handling Capacity (RMS) : 300W
Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

Litespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't see how the class of the amp will effect anything here. 300 watts will do fine for that sub. There is nothing wrong with going bigger either.
Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

form3hide is an unknown quantity at this point
awesome sub
Old 12-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
1 watt will push the sub....RMS ratings is how much it can handle..not how much you have to give it.....
Old 12-12-2002
Registered!!

OPGForce is an unknown quantity at this point
A "600W Class A/B amp" or "300W Class D amp" would be sufficient for this sub(i am going by the max ratings of wattage for these amps). I am just trying to recommend powering this sub at least at it's RMS wattage rating.

Old 12-12-2002
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
you obviously have no clue how amps work if you feel that class has anything to do with power... power is power... class merely changes efficiency and sound quality
Old 12-12-2002
Registered!!

FaintReality is an unknown quantity at this point
The 300w rms in the thermal power handling. The mechanical power handling of the sub is dependant upon enclosure type and size. I had my 10" type-r in a sealed enclousure with a low Q, and could push it to its limits with 250w rms.

By the way, the class of the amp does not make a difference. If it is a class AB amp rated at 300w, it will put out the exact same power as a class D amp rated at 300w. The class D is just more efficient and will be less strain on your alt.

I personally would only throw 300w at that sub in a sealed enclosure with a low Q. You will have excellent SQ, while getting decently loud. If you put more power to it, you should go with a smaller enclosure, but it will be more boomy and loose transient response. If you know what you are doing and know how to properly set your amps so that you will not clip the signal, then you will be fine with 500w, just make sure you turn it down when you are reaching/exceeding the mechanical limits...
Old 12-13-2002
Registered!!

2k2civicballer is an unknown quantity at this point
The Type R sub rules! Sorry, just a big fanboy.
Old 12-13-2002
Registered!!

Falcon is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a type R 10" (rated for 300W RMS, just like the 12")

and im runing it using an alpine M300 amp (300W RMS)

definately sounds good
Old 12-13-2002
Registered!!

CloverG01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a single Type R 12 in my car with a 400 watt amp it sounds great hits damn hard for a single 12-- just a suggestion
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
The type r's are definatly tight. I'm getting stupid this spring and build 2 15's into the trunk in a fiberglass enclosure.

Don't be afraid to give a sub too much power tho. Most subs are blown from lack of power because of distortion and not from overpowering. In the alpine rsx they are running 1000 watts rms to each one of the subs which are only rated at 400 watts rms.
Old 12-16-2002
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
thats actually a common misconception, you can never "blow" a speaker (thermally) due to too little power... otherwise you would blow your speakers/subs every time you had the volume low.
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

When underpowered, people blow drivers from the clipped signal if the driver can't handle the increase in power. I overpower all my drivers but I know what I am doing. I definately don't suggest for people to overpower there speakers unless they know what they are doing and have everything setup properly, and know when to turn it down. Also, the power handling of a driver is dependant upon enclosure size and type. My Shivas are rated at 600w rms each, but with a JL 500/1 amp on the pair (250w rms each), I can push the subs to there mechanical limits in a sealed enclosure with a Q of .707 without any bass boost on the HU or amp.
Old 12-16-2002
Yup, i'm an A$$hole.

Mystic3030 has a spectacular aura aboutMystic3030 has a spectacular aura about
[hr]Originally posted by: MangoEX
thats actually a common misconception, you can never "blow" a speaker (thermally) due to too little power... otherwise you would blow your speakers/subs every time you had the volume low.[hr]
Thats not what he meant. You can blow a driver by using an underpowered amplifier. If you send a clipped, distorted signal, it will blow. If you had a sub that can handle 600 watts, and you were giving it 250, obviously it will be fine, as long as you dont turn it up too loud. The amp will stress itself, clip, and blow the driver. In all my systems i try to run 200-300 watts above the RMS on my subs....but I do know what i'm doing. If you have a 500 watt amp, and you are only running it at 400, it will be far better than a 400 watt amp running at 400 watts. When an amp is pushing it's peak power, it's also it's most distorted signal.

-Mystic
Old 12-17-2002

alex053 will become famous soon enough
Just match the RMS output of the amp to the RMS power handling of the sub. Never go by peak. there is no standard for "peak power" companies can put whatever they want on there
Old 12-17-2002
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
[hr][i]My Shivas are rated at 600w rms each, but with a JL 500/1 amp on the pair (250w rms each), I can push the subs to there mechanical limits in a sealed enclosure with a Q of .707 without any bass boost on the HU or amp.[hr]
How many cubic feet do you have you Shivas in? How do they sound?
Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

I haven't got the chance to build the enclosure yet since I just received the subs last week and the weather is horrible, but they will be placed in seperate chambers of 2ft^3 each (4ft^3 total) with about 2lbs. of poly fill per chamber. I am going for SQ, so they require a large enclosure to achieve the low Q I like. When I plotted them out, on average, the pair will be 10db's louder than my previous 10" Brahma with the 500w from my JL 500/1.

By the way, I am selling one of the Shiva's if anyone is interested, since I am only using 2 of the 3. Email me at faintreality@hotmail.com or PM me if interested. I posted at www.clubrsx.com , but will probably post here a lilttle later tonight in the for sale section.
Old 12-17-2002
The LA Clipper

fonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to allfonto is a name known to all
Are you gonna go to the South Clai meet on the 4th...I would like to check out your ride for sure...I know the others would be interested in seeing an RSX there

I have my four in 1.4 cubic feet per, with 1.5 pounds of poly per chamber. I have 300 watts going to each from a JBL 1200.1. It is WAY to much bass...I have it turned down 7 decibles and it is still a lot of bass...anywayz, sometimes I like to boom
Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

custom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exactly Mystic! Thats what I was trying to say. I have been installing now for almost 8 years and about 95% of the subs that come back blown are from distortion and not from overpowering.

Old 12-17-2002
Registered!!

You got 4? The 2 will be way more than enough for me... You got any pics? I have no clue if I will be able to make it to the meet or not, I still haven't made it to and RSX meet, and they have one like once a month.

Dave

[hr]Originally posted by: fonto
Are you gonna go to the South Clai meet on the 4th...I would like to check out your ride for sure...I know the others would be interested in seeing an RSX there

I have my four in 1.4 cubic feet per, with 1.5 pounds of poly per chamber. I have 300 watts going to each from a JBL 1200.1. It is WAY to much bass...I have it turned down 7 decibles and it is still a lot of bass...anywayz, sometimes I like to boom [hr]
Old 12-18-2002
The LA Clipper

[hr]Originally posted by: FaintReality
You got 4? The 2 will be way more than enough for me... You got any pics? I have no clue if I will be able to make it to the meet or not, I still haven't made it to and RSX meet, and they have one like once a month.

Dave

[hr]Originally posted by: fonto

I have my four in 1.4 cubic feet per, with 1.5 pounds of poly per chamber. I have 300 watts going to each from a JBL 1200.1. It is WAY to much bass...I have it turned down 7 decibles and it is still a lot of bass...anywayz, sometimes I like to boom [hr]
[hr]

Yeah, I have 4 and it is a little too much, three whould have been enough. My set-up is nothing special, two prefab boxes facing up...and of coarse I have no truck space. I did it all myself, and it was my first time...so it isn't going to wow anyone, except for the SPL