I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Is this HU any good?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Is this HU any good?

Ok, when it comes to HU's I'm not the smartest cat in the litter. Anyways, it's the JVC KD-SH707 DIGIFINE 2.2 MOTORIZED CD/MP3. I can buy it for $230. There probably are better out there but I like the style. If you guys know of a better one please advise, I'll install them when I get back.

Features:

-Power Output: 19 watts RMS/50W peak x 4)
-MOS-FET Power Amp
-Motorized Slide-Out Aluminum Face
-HS-IIIi Tuner
-MP3/CD-R/CD-RW Compatible
-iEQ (7-Band)
-Multi-bit (24-bit Resolution) 1-bit DAC (For superior sound quality, this unit uses a 24-bit D/A converter)
-Gold-Plated front/rear preamp outputs (2 pairs, 2V)
-Non-fading Subwoofer preamp outputs with Level/Frequency Control (In addition to the gold-plated front and rear 2.0-volt preamp outputs, this unit is equipped with one set of gold-plated, non-fading RCA preamp outputs. These outputs are typically used to feed a subwoofer amplifier.)
-Front panel Auxiliary input
-Station Name Registration
-Pop-Out Rotary Encoder Multi-Control
-Multi-Function Wireless Remote Control
-Dot-Matrix Multi-Color LCD Display with Contrast Control
-Switchable Dimmer
-Detachable Control Panel with Carrying Case
-CD changer control
-CD Text, Disc Name Registration
-CD Changer Control with Disc Name Registration, Random/Repeat Play (2 Modes), Intro Scan (2 Modes)
-CD Player Intro Scan
-CD Random and Repeat Play modes
-Direct Track Access (1-12)
-Direct Disc Select (1-12)
-18 FM & 6 AM Presets
-SSM (for FM)
-COMPU PLAY
-Electronic Volume Control
-Preamp Fader Control
-Clock
-Wireless remote
-CD frequency response 5-20.000 Hz
-CD signal-to-noise ratio 102 dB
-1 Year Warranty

Pls help.
Old 09-03-2002
i boogie for the raindrops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the one thats one step up from that one... the KD-SH909... some people will say that JVC's aren't worth a damn... but i like mine, 3 sets of 4 volt outs (the 707 only has 2 volt) only prob is visibility during the day, but mine has lasted me since last october with not one problem ever...
Old 09-03-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Well man, I took your advice. I bought the SH909. It was $260 shipped. Pretty cheap compared to other places, here's the link:

CarAudioKings.com
Old 09-03-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Damn, that was quick! I have the JVC KD-SH707. If you want mp3, then this is the best HU out there. The Pioneer ones have a long wait betwean the mp3's. This HU has the shortest wait. Plus all other audio quality features are better. 7-band equalizer compared to a 3-band on the Pioneer. I was torn betwean my current HU and the Pioneer Premier 740-MP. The Pioneer's are more flashy though. They've got a better display and some built in crossovers. I had 3-ways, so I didn't need the crossovers. I didn't really want flashy either.

The only difference betwean the KD-SH909 and the KD-707 are the 4-volt pre-outs and the DVD features. No DVD capable, but has some sort of connectivity for DVD? I don't know. I didn't have amplifiers, so I didn't need 4-volt pre-outs. Plus I hear from people that the difference betwean 2-volt pre-outs and 4-volt pre-outs is not very big. Actually quite tiny. I got mine for $238 shipped. I think this HU has the best price/performance ratio of any Mp3 HU out there right now.

You made a good choice! I love mine! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-03-2002
Registered!!

Thanks for the support, Grey! I was planning on getting a cd changer and keeping the stock HU but I invested my money in this HU instead. $260 shipped is a good price, I think. I should have it by the time I get back home in two weeks. I'll be going to the Seattle meet 3 days after I get back so I don't know if I'll have time to install it before then but I'll get it in after if I can't.

P3AC3
Old 09-03-2002
Registered!!

mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Multi-bit (24-bit Resolution) 1-bit DAC (For superior sound quality, this unit uses a 24-bit D/A converter) [hr]
That's JVC for you.. Which is it!!!!
Old 09-03-2002
Registered!!

Good point! The sight I got it off of might have fvcked up!
Old 09-03-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
They all have a 1-bit DAC. This HU has 3 lasers and each one is oversampled 8 times. That's where they get the 24-bit phrase from. Something like that anyway. Maybe 3 pickups and 8x oversampling? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-03-2002
i boogie for the raindrops

LudlamTheory is an unknown quantity at this point
its 24 mr mo...