I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

help needed figuring out pins on ignition without wires to base off of

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robert9004 is an unknown quantity at this point
help needed figuring out pins on ignition without wires to base off of

So I'm closing up on getting my Ariel atom project finished soon and want to get it running by the end of the summer. What I need help with is wiring, I've been going through the schematics now for a while and there are some gaps in what I know and don't, so if anyone could help me out here I would be very grateful.
Some basic info:
Motor:K20a3 with stock wiring harness (2003)
Immobilizer unit/key (2002 ep3) (different key and need to reprogram/bypass this)
I do not have the underdash fuse/relay box
I do have the 2 PGM main relays

I currently am missing these for engine functions:
O2 Heater Relay, O2 sensors (I believe I only need the primary for this build as I have a custom exhaust made with no cats, please correct me if I'm wrong), Air/fuel ratio sensor + relay
I will be purchasing these parts shortly

As for the issues I'm having parts of the wiring harness are missing and do not have connectors for the key/immobilizer unit as well as the gauges as these parts were all purchased separately apart from the harness. With that being said I cannot find the schematic for the key/immobilizer system anywhere and it would be helpful if someone could tell me what they are. (The 5 large flat pins at the end of the unit, along with the 6 pin green connection behind the 7 pin immobilizer, I will post a picture as well.

As for the other missing wires, these come from Connector E from the ECU along with the engine harness. All I need here is necessary functions in order for the car to run, so anything I do not need to bother with please let me know. Also if anyone has a tip on what to use as replacements for the female pins inside these connectors let me know.
Connector E to ECU:
Pins:
6 secondary heated oxygen sensor
14 fuel tank pressure sensor (using external fuel pressure regulator)
20 Evap bypass valve
21 Evap canister vent shut valve
23 K line (not sure what this is)
27 immobilizer code
30 write enable signal

Engine harness:
Pins:
8 alt-L to warning lights
13 ECU A16 to PHO2S
15 ECU A22 to O2 sensor

Also I know that pin 3 from the engine harness goes to speedo, however which pin does it connect to? Along with pin 26 from the E connector to which on the tachometer (2002 civic si gauge cluster)

Once I get the ignition/immobilizer working I'll be able to ween the rest of this stuff out so that would be the biggest help to me since I can't find the schematic nor do I have the colored wires to base info off of.

I thank you in advance,
Robert

Old 08-05-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: help needed figuring out pins on ignition without wires to base off of

Did you check for wiring diagrams in the free 7th gen manual thread?
Old 08-08-2016
Registered!!

I have looked at all the wiring diagrams I can, I do have the entire manual for the car, but I might just be missing something here.

I have learned that the pinout for the 5 pin is:

1 2 3
4 5 6 7

1:blk/wht start output
2:----
3:wht fuse 20 under hood
4:blk/red ON output
5:wht/red acc or ON output
6:blk/yel on or start output
7:----

I'm not sure to where 1,4,5 lead to nor the 6 pin plug.
It's just difficult to find all this out without having any of the plugs with wires

If you happen to know where this info is, I would be grateful if you could link it to me as I haven't found it yet.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 08-08-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

1:blk/wht start output
2:----
3:wht fuse 20 under hood
4:blk/red ON output
5:wht/red acc or ON output
6:blk/yel on or start output
7:----
This looks like ignition switch wiring, not immobilizer.

Are you using a stock Honda ECM, or aftermarket?
Stock will need immobi, aftermarket may not so talk with your supplier on that.

Immobi, green connector in your picture, using a USA 2003 Civic SI diagram
1 = brn/yel, ECM E3
2= red/blu, ECM E27
3= gry, DLC#14
4=grn/orn, park brake switch
5=blu/orn, neg output to control immobi green key symbol warning light in cluster
6=yel/blk, power from PGMFI main relay #1 (also shared with ECM A2 and A3)
7=white/red, constant B+ power, originates at fuse 9 in engine compartment fusebox
Old 08-09-2016
Registered!!

Thank you for your response ezone,
I currently am using a stock ecm that came with the engine swap. Unfortunately the ignition I have is not from the same car, so I need to somehow get the key programmed however I went to the Honda shop and they told me that they can only program the key once everything is hooked up.

I do have the immobilizer pinout as it is the 1-7 connector however I can't find anything on the 1-6 pin connector as I have circled in the picture.

Also, I cannot find where the ignition harness connects to in the manual. I'm assuming that the ignition harness plugs into the under-dash fuse/relay box which I do not have, and I'm wondering how to get around this. would the blk/why start output go to the starter? I also do not know where the blk/red on ouptut and the wht/red acc or ON output connects to in the harness. I do currently have power to the two relays and the dash lights up.

I'm assuming that I'm going to have to get this immobilizer working before I can finish the wiring correct?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 08-09-2016

that they can only program the key once everything is hooked up.
This is correct. The immobilizer control unit, the ECM, and all of the keys have to be done (programmed) together on a runnable car. Make sure your immobi unit is compatible with your ECM.

I can't find anything on the 1-6 pin connector as I have circled in the picture.

Also, I cannot find where the ignition harness connects to in the manual.
The ignition switch connector was probably built into the dash harness, it probably was not a separate harness pigtail in that car like may have been used on some other Hondas.

I'll look more later.
Old 08-09-2016
Registered!!

Yes all the individual parts were from 02 civic si's so they will work together.

I was doing some research on how to program keys to ecm and I came across the program ponyprog To read/write codes on the chips. Do you know if clearing the code and putting in the new one from the key will work, or does the transponder unit need to do a handshake with the ecm?

And thanks,
Old 08-09-2016

Originally Posted by robert9004
I was doing some research on how to program keys to ecm and I came across the program ponyprog To read/write codes on the chips. Do you know if clearing the code and putting in the new one from the key will work, or does the transponder unit need to do a handshake with the ecm?

And thanks,
I have access to dealer level equipment, so I can't answer that one.
I've never dealt with any programming options the aftermarket has available.

The immobilizer control unit has to be mated (learned, written, whatever you want to call it) to the ECM. The 'chip keys' have to be mated to the immobilizer control unit.

Basic overview of the immobilizer system used (couldn't find a USA version right away, so there may be differences) :
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x01-053e.pdf
Old 08-09-2016

Originally Posted by ezone

The ignition switch connector was probably built into the dash harness, it probably was not a separate harness pigtail in that car like may have been used on some other Hondas.

I'll look more later.
Checked this in a wiring diagram. All 5 circuits for the ignition switch (looks like it's a 7 cavity connector, only 5 are used) go to or through the underdash fuse box connector "A".....but the wiring is part of a dash harness.

Connector A is top row, center connector (google search image, so ignore the arrow)