I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Confused re: rear speaker size sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pete6032 is an unknown quantity at this point
Confused re: rear speaker size sedan

I want to replace my rear speakers but this Crutchfield article is ambiguous as to what size will fit. 5 1/4 or 6 3/4?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VPAib46...vic-sedan.html

Can anyone help? Will 6 3/4 fit or will they be a bitch to install? Would like to keep the stock speaker covers.
Old 02-26-2014
Registered!!

Weigel21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Confused re: rear speaker size sedan

The OEM size of the speaker is 6 3/4", but as you can clearly see, the OEM speaker basket has a nonstandard mounting pattern and shape. Aftermarket 6 3/4 speaker will NOT bolt right in, but you can get an adapter braket to use 5 1/4" speaker without any issues whatsoever, assuming the speaker hasn't too much tweeter protrusion to restrict the use of the OEM grills. Crutchfield will list the speakers they carry that would fit in your car without any modifications whatsoever. If you are up for drilling new holes, then perhaps some 6 1/2" speakers can fit. If you are up for filing out the opening some (maybe) as well as dilling new mounting holes, then you should be able to fit 6 3/4" speakers.
Old 02-26-2014
Registered!!

Pete6032 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Confused re: rear speaker size sedan

Originally Posted by Weigel21
The OEM size of the speaker is 6 3/4", but as you can clearly see, the OEM speaker basket has a nonstandard mounting pattern and shape. Aftermarket 6 3/4 speaker will NOT bolt right in, but you can get an adapter braket to use 5 1/4" speaker without any issues whatsoever, assuming the speaker hasn't too much tweeter protrusion to restrict the use of the OEM grills. Crutchfield will list the speakers they carry that would fit in your car without any modifications whatsoever. If you are up for drilling new holes, then perhaps some 6 1/2" speakers can fit. If you are up for filing out the opening some (maybe) as well as dilling new mounting holes, then you should be able to fit 6 3/4" speakers.
Thanks. Will I see (hear) much difference between 6 1/2 and 5 1/4? Also should I look to match brand/specs when pairing the rear speakers? I regret not getting something more powerful in the front.