I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Aftermarket Stereo HU & Front Speaker Recommendation.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
abhijitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Aftermarket Stereo HU & Front Speaker Recommendation.

Model : 2003 Civic LX Sedan.

Would anyone please recommend a budget aftermarket Stereo HU. Not looking for GPS or LCD, but bluetooth, USB, Aux would be good.

Also, which budget front speakers would one recommend? There are so many options online that it is getting difficult to choose.

Thanks for your help !
Old 07-01-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Aftermarket Stereo HU & Front Speaker Recommendation.

Just stick with a name brand and find one in your budget with the features you want. Make sure the Bluetooth is capatible with your phone. The manufactures should have that info available. If you get a hu and speakers that are a year or 2 old the price will be cheaper but not the quality.

If its your first stereo instal I would get all your stuff from Crutchfield. They will provide you with everything you need.

I have used Sony, Pioneer and Alpine. Alpine has probably been my favorite so far and is the hu I currently have.
Old 07-01-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Really depends on what type of music you listen to, and what you want out of it.

For speakers, I prefer Infinity or Polk.
For HU's, it really comes down to price point, features and specs.
Pioneer and Alpine make good quality decks, but I'm not a huge fan of their menu systems.

Go to a local bestbuy or some electronics/car audio store to play with some of the decks.
Old 07-01-2013

Music Type : R&B, Soul, Rock, Reggae .... [but again i am not a crazy thumper type of person]

Thanks Guys ... My budget is 300-350$ for this commute car(just need a basic upgrade to the OEM radio, My SUV will get a sub & amp). I will be doing the install myself.

The Best Buy guys were not really helpful after hearing my budget. They were pushing me towards some crazy package deals.

Spoke with Crutchfield & they suggested either the Alpine CDE-135BT or Pioneer DEH-X6500BT. I am not going to install any amp in the future, but both these systems are 4-V/2-channel system. Would i be fine to drive 4 aftermarket speakers?

I am still torn on the speakers. I have Polk speakers at home. Really like them. Crutchfield was suggesting Rockford Fosgate. Their speakers are pretty expensive though (compared to other online sites)

Last edited by abhijitz; 07-01-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-01-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

You might want to try just a hu at first. I upgraded my hu and it made a big difference with the sound, even with stock speakers. It wasn't until I added a sub that the stock speakers could no longer keep up without crackling.

You can't go wrong with Polk for the price.
Old 07-01-2013

And this was on your 2001 Civic LX Sedan ?

Originally Posted by GolNat
You might want to try just a hu at first. I upgraded my hu and it made a big difference with the sound, even with stock speakers.

Last edited by abhijitz; 07-01-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2013
Prelude Owner

Correct.

I put in the hu first with the intention of buying speakers later but I felt like I didn't need them.

Of course an aftermarket speaker will be better then stock and adding tweeters or a 2 way speaker will sound better.
Old 07-01-2013

Ok - Thank You & Good Idea on checking with just the HU.

Alternately, if you were to change the speakers, would you do all 4 or just the front 2 ? I was hoping to just do the front 2 (if needed to)

Correct.

I put in the hu first with the intention of buying speakers later but I felt like I didn't need them.

Of course an aftermarket speaker will be better then stock and adding tweeters or a 2 way speaker will sound better.
Old 07-01-2013
Prelude Owner

I would do all 4 if I didn't have a sub. I currently have the fader set to only use the front speakers because all the bass is coming from the back and the stock speakers can't keep up. So I'm only using the front currently but since you are not running a sub all 4 would provide a good balance IMO (bass in the back, highs in the front). Also more interior space with the sedan.

You could always just do the fronts at first then add the backs if needed.
Old 07-01-2013

Thanks again ! I just ordered the Alpine HU and all the other installation stuff came free with it. [The HU at Crutchfield is actually cheaper than Amazon and Sonix]... I will post up the review once i am done installing it.

I would do all 4 if I didn't have a sub. I currently have the fader set to only use the front speakers because all the bass is coming from the back and the stock speakers can't keep up. So I'm only using the front currently but since you are not running a sub all 4 would provide a good balance IMO (bass in the back, highs in the front). Also more interior space with the sedan.

You could always just do the fronts at first then add the backs if needed.
Old 07-01-2013
Prelude Owner

Sounds good!

Got to love Crutchfield!
Old 07-01-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Bestbuy sales reps are retarded, don't listen to them.
They make money based on commission and don't cater to what you want in your car.
Someone I knew, went to bestbuy despite my disapproval, spent $2000 for a very crappy system.

Crutchfield definitely has some of the best customer service within their field.

As a coupe owner, the best sound stage that I have is Polk in the front, and a 12" sub in the rear with back speaker delete.
For sedan, and no subs, what I'd recommend is something with better mid/high range in the front, and go for something more bass intense in the rear.
It's okay to have different branded speakers, they don't have to be exactly the same.

Polks are mainly focused on mid/high range in terms of clarity. I can vouch for these to put in the front.
Old 07-02-2013

Based on how i like the Alpine HU with the OEM speakers, i am leaning towards Polk db651S for the front. Would your mind suggesting something for the rear?

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
As a coupe owner, the best sound stage that I have is Polk in the front, and a 12" sub in the rear with back speaker delete.

For sedan, and no subs, what I'd recommend is something with better mid/high range in the front, and go for something more bass intense in the rear.

It's okay to have different branded speakers, they don't have to be exactly the same.

Polks are mainly focused on mid/high range in terms of clarity. I can vouch for these to put in the front.
Old 07-02-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by abhijitz
Based on how i like the Alpine HU with the OEM speakers, i am leaning towards Polk db651S for the front. Would your mind suggesting something for the rear?
The JBL GT6 looks like a very good deal, considering it's price point.

It is a 6.75" and 2.5" mounting depth, so I'm not sure how well it'd fit in the rear deck, but I don't think it'll be a huge problem. I'd try to ask Crutchfield to see if they know. (Their site says no, but you could always ask)

Crutchfield's selection isn't too large, so I'd look into sonicelectronics for some JBL's as well.
Old 07-09-2013

Got the Alpine installed. This was my first time installing a stereo and it was a piece of cake. Here is my initial feedback <with OEM speakers> :

Bass - Ok (I can live with it)
Mids - Absolutely nothing
Treble - Ok
Clarity - Ok .. I was expecting more
Speakers crack after Volume level 20 (Max = 35)
Bluetooth search & pair is FAST. Pandora is supercool to use.

In the process of install, i found out that the center console cover had 2 metal clips missing (towards the dash side). They are pretty tight on the plastic tabs so i dont think they dropped off when i took it off. [I bought this car used 2 months ago]

Then, one of the trim plastic rivets/tabs was missing. Can i get it at any auto store?

Definitely need some front speakers for sure. Would the Polk db651s be a good choice?
Old 07-10-2013

More Updates :

I was testing my current CDs and got disappointed. I ripped out another CD with 320kbps & other audio parameters and the OEM speakers seems to have a new life :-) ... No cracking was observed until Vol level 24. I still would like to get more Clarity & better Mids.

Also, i took some pictures of the install following the 2-videos on youtube.
Old 07-10-2013
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

If you do the rears, I recommend Infinity Reference. They seem to be good quality for what can be somewhat easily fit in the rear. Mine came with spacers and with one washer underneath one screw I was able to clear the trunk bars.
Old 07-10-2013
Kenny the Ricer

The reference are good speakers.
I just happen to like the bass from JBL's a bit more.
But both are good brands to go with.
Old 07-11-2013
Prelude Owner

The infinity reference series has great quality and sound. I have an Infinity Refereance 8 inch sub and It is excellent.
Old 07-11-2013

Not planning to do rears now, just the front.

Originally Posted by got2run5
If you do the rears, I recommend Infinity Reference. They seem to be good quality for what can be somewhat easily fit in the rear. Mine came with spacers and with one washer underneath one screw I was able to clear the trunk bars.
Both the reference and JBLs are over 200$. I would wish to restrict my front speaker budget under 100$. Plus the JBLs have separate tweeters [which my car doesnt have a provision for, and i dont wish to swap the panels to accomodate one].

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
The reference are good speakers.
I just happen to like the bass from JBL's a bit more.
But both are good brands to go with.
Old 07-11-2013
Registered!!

Idk where you are shopping but the references ARE NOT anywhere close to $200 unless you shop at Worst Buy. Check out the wonders of Amazon. Looks like it's a tad more than I spent a couple years ago but you can still get a new pair for under $50.
Old 07-11-2013

I was checking at crutchfield for the speakers suggested for my car. Will take a look into sonicelectronix for the JBLs and Inifinitys.

Originally Posted by got2run5
Idk where you are shopping but the references ARE NOT anywhere close to $200 unless you shop at Worst Buy. Check out the wonders of Amazon. Looks like it's a tad more than I spent a couple years ago but you can still get a new pair for under $50.
Old 07-11-2013
Registered!!

Amazon. Amazon. Amazon.

Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6032cf 6.5-Inch 180-Watt High-Performance 2-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics
Old 07-11-2013

Thanks for the link. Would i need any adapter bracket? It says it fits my vehicle. I assume I would just need to drill holes for the speaker mounts.

Old 07-11-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Yeah, they are nowhere near $200.

I highly suggest a bracket, only because our mounting depths are kind of weird.
Old 07-12-2013
Registered!!

Mine fit without any adapter besides for the space thing that came in the box but I have a coupe with the 6x9. That spacer and a washer should keep it just above the trunk spring. You shouldn't have to drill anything-use the same holes from your old speakers unless they have funky spacing.
Old 07-12-2013

While i have started another thread on the bracket/adapter for the speakers; i came across baffles behind the speakers (on top of the magnets). Reading about it helps to protect dirt/grime/water .... Otherwise, how good do they help in enhancing the sound? If i install them, do i sandwich them in between speaker and bracket?
Old 07-12-2013
Registered!!

Let me know next time you flood your trunk or submerge your front doors. I tend not to launch boats with my civic. If you're able to get that much crap through to the speakers you have bigger problems than replacing speakers. Speaker install is about as straight forward as you can get until you realize the mounting depth is too big. The baffles would make this even more of a chore.
Old 07-13-2013
Kenny the Ricer

Actually, quite a bit of water and moisture gets into your doors, especially during car washes.

I've seen a lot of aftermarket speakers fail due to this reason, mainly because the connections are corroded due to exposure.
I don't personally recommend baffles, but if it gives you peace of mind, be my guest.

PS. If you're getting the Polk DB651s, I wouldn't worry about it. They are marine grade and I've even dumped a bucket of water (unintentionally of course) into the speaker grill without any issues.
I run them without baffles, but I did sound deaden my door.
Old 07-24-2013

Thanks to all of you (Kennykid2002, GolNat, got2run5) for your valuable suggestions. I finished the install with the speakers (Polk db651s) today.

While it is not a "night & day" difference between OEM speakers and these, definitely the sound is crisp, bass is good enough and highs are very noticeable. Morever, at 55$ shipped for the pair, cant really crib.

Couple of things :

1. i did not notice much grime after opening the door panel (either on glass window well or outside) so it was a good decision not to use the baffles. I think even with a half cut baffle it would have been tight & the sound would not have been deep.

2. While Crutchfield recommended Metra 82-3412, i went with Metra 82-7803 (based on some of the pictures i saw in this forum). With this bracket, there are 2 horizontal tabs which will fit in the bottom 2 holes and help align. [i would have needed to cut those tabs off if i were to align the bracket similar to those pictures posted by Kenny]

However, with that position, the speaker tweeter scribed word "Polk" is not horizontal. I am not sure if that is going to cause any sound issues? <pic below> ... Plus, using 82-7803 needed cutting off the shroud that covers the grill, which went smooth with a dremel [Thanks Kennykid2002 for your assistance with getting the bracket issue sorted out]

I am unsure though if i would have used the Crutchfield recommended bracket, i may not have needed to cut off the shroud.

3. I ordered the Metra 72-7800 Connector for easy install. This connector is a piece of junk. The wire quality is not great. The connectors are flimsy and the plastic sheath on the connector is a waste. I have better quality connectors & sheath at home that i could have used with female T-Taps. Waste of 6$

4. Used the felt padding provided in the Polk box between the bracket and speaker and used silicone at the mating surface of door and bracket.

Last edited by abhijitz; 07-24-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo HU & Front Speaker Recommendation.