I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Trying to Install external fan on an amp.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
azi90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Trying to Install external fan on an amp.

My amp needs an extra fan due to sudden rise of temperature here. what im doing is im using a relay using my HEADUNITS turn on switch so whenever i turn on my HU fan will turn on too.. now what i wanna know is will i still introduce NOISE in my system if i use RELAY switch? and can i hook 2 fans instead of jus one into same relay switch?
Old 06-05-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Trying to Install external fan on an amp.

If 2 fans current draw does not exceed the current rating of the relay then yes you can run 2 fans off of one relay.

If you keep the relay away from the amp then you should not introduce any noise.

Where is your amp mounted? It shouldn't over heat unless its can't get enough air flow where it is at due to an obstruction or poor air flow.
Old 06-05-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
If 2 fans current draw does not exceed the current rating of the relay then yes you can run 2 fans off of one relay.

If you keep the relay away from the amp then you should not introduce any noise.

Where is your amp mounted? It shouldn't over heat unless its can't get enough air flow where it is at due to an obstruction or poor air flow.
Its in the trunk but does have plenty of room to breathe.. But my best guess is TEMPERATURE RISE because amp only over heats on extremely HOT days
Old 06-05-2013
Registered!!

im not really sure how to wire them .. i mean i know which wires go where but dont know how to put them together .. is there a you tube video that shows that clearly. Tried looking myself couldnt find one
Old 06-05-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Is the amp shutting down because it is overheating?

It should be able to stand outside temps in the 100's (if it is a quality amp).

The trunk is where mine is located.
Old 06-06-2013
Registered!!

Is the amp shutting down because it is overheating?

It should be able to stand outside temps in the 100's (if it is a quality amp).

The trunk is where mine is located.
Yes .. its going into protected mode.. and it shutsdown onli wen its so hot that i can actually fry me egg on it lol.. its kenwood 7205
Old 06-06-2013
Prelude Owner

Are the 2 fans in the amp running?

According to spec sheet it is fan cooled.

What speakers do you have hooked up to the amp?
Old 06-06-2013
Prelude Owner

As for wiring the fans your going to need to wire them similiar to this:

Always best to solder all your wires but this is not a high current situation so its not needed.

You might need to hook pin 86 to +12V and have pin 85 be a negative trigger from the headunit or something.

It would be really cool if it was hooked to a temp switch and it would kick the fans on when it got above a certain temp!
Old 06-06-2013
Registered!!

Stock fans are working... speakers are KENWOOD single 12" 400 RMS
Old 06-06-2013
Registered!!

As for wiring the fans your going to need to wire them similiar to this:

Always best to solder all your wires but this is not a high current situation so its not needed.

You might need to hook pin 86 to +12V and have pin 85 be a negative trigger from the headunit or something.

It would be really cool if it was hooked to a temp switch and it would kick the fans on when it got above a certain temp!
Thanks!!
Old 06-06-2013
Registered!!

this is the amp i have...
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/pictu...&picture_id=-1

I cant figure out where exactly to put the fan.. i dont even have room to put anything extra on it =\
Old 06-06-2013
Prelude Owner

Yea, finding a spot to mount them will be difficult. Your probably going to have to end up making a stand or something to hold the fans over the amp. The best way to cool it would be to have the fans blow the air across the amp. Removing hot air out of the trunk would also work but would more difficult.

Relocating the amp might be easier. Maybe under a seat!
Old 06-06-2013
Prelude Owner

Did you set yours gains properly on the amp! If your amp is clipping it could overheat.
If your not sure try turning it down and seeing if it still overheats.
Old 06-06-2013
Registered!!

Did you set yours gains properly on the amp! If your amp is clipping it could overheat.
If your not sure try turning it down and seeing if it still overheats.
yeah ill prolly just try doing that for now .. because i cant think of any spot as to how mount the fan.. what i was thinking is mount 8mm over the CURRENT STOCK fans grills to increase more air flow... but i doubt it will work very well

Last edited by azi90; 06-06-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2013
Prelude Owner

That might work!

Stacking fans can make things worse but if you leave space between the fans (like a tunnel) and use fans with a higher CFM rating then the ones that are in the amp then you could see a temp drop.

Fans create turbulence, so when you stick 2 right next to each other the turbulence combines to not make to much more air flow. There are many theories on this but if you separate the fans it allows the air to stabilize more.
Old 06-06-2013
Registered!!

That might work!

Stacking fans can make things worse but if you leave space between the fans (like a tunnel) and use fans with a higher CFM rating then the ones that are in the amp then you could see a temp drop.

Fans create turbulence, so when you stick 2 right next to each other the turbulence combines to not make to much more air flow. There are many theories on this but if you separate the fans it allows the air to stabilize more.
This is where im plannin on installing an extra EXHAUST fan (see the image). theres a grill between stock and an extra fan that am thinking to apply.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kac7205.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	85245  
Old 06-06-2013
Prelude Owner

Sounds like a plan

Might not make to big a difference without an extra intake fan also but its worth a shot.
Old 06-07-2013
Registered!!

Sounds like a plan

Might not make to big a difference without an extra intake fan also but its worth a shot.
But again theres no room in between the two fans except for the grill.. wouldnt that cause a problem?>

Last edited by azi90; 06-07-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2013
Prelude Owner

It won't cause a problem, you just won't get the most air flow. It would be better to stick a chamber in between the second fan and the grill.

Your going to have to experiment with different variations to see what works best. If you have a temp probe you could actually measure the temp and get more accurate results.
Old 06-07-2013
Registered!!

It won't cause a problem, you just won't get the most air flow. It would be better to stick a chamber in between the second fan and the grill.

Your going to have to experiment with different variations to see what works best. If you have a temp probe you could actually measure the temp and get more accurate results.
how exactly can i make the chamber?
Old 06-07-2013
Prelude Owner

Making one out of thin walled PVC would probably be the easiest. You could apoxy the fan to it if there was no way to mount the fan.

Did you try turning your gains down?
Old 06-08-2013
Registered!!

Making one out of thin walled PVC would probably be the easiest. You could apoxy the fan to it if there was no way to mount the fan.

Did you try turning your gains down?
No i didnt even bother doing it these days because temperature went down again.. and i didnt come across the problem yet,,, its only on 30 C temperature days