I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DVD Head Unit Installation Cost Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013
Pigs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piglet is an unknown quantity at this point
DVD Head Unit Installation Cost Inquiry

My fiancee told me she's getting me this head unit for my birthday next week http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X350...-X3500BHS.html

I was curious if y'all could tell me how much a shop would charge to install a head unit like this. I'm sure as heck not going to do something this complicated myself!
Old 05-11-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DVD Head Unit Installation Cost Inquiry

Hmm... 100 bucks around here probably, which would include the harness and custom trim plate.
Old 05-12-2013
LAPD Ricer Division

LucasChilders is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is ordered from Crutchfield, they should send you a harness and dash kit for free if the correct car is selected. I did mine, extremely easy, but a bit time consuming.

I would highly recommend keeping your $100 and install it your self. Get a heat gun, $25 at Home Depot and some shrink tubing $1 for 10. The wire colors on the harness should match just fine. Once you are done you will feel great about your self.

Crutchfield also sends you very good instructions on taking your dash apart for your specific car.

I should also say that this was the first thing that involved taking apart my car and wiring stuff up. Wasn't very confident at first, but take your time and it isn't too bad.
Old 05-12-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not hard at all to do. But, you do have to remove a large part of your center console and the entire radio/heat console. It also requires some strength to break all t he clips free. If you don't feel you'll be able to do this hire someone, if not have at er, you can always change your mind and take it to someone if you feel you can't finish the job. There is a really good DIY on this site.
Old 05-12-2013
LAPD Ricer Division

LucasChilders is an unknown quantity at this point

^ Agreed. You'll know almost right away if you feel comfortable doing it. If you can't get your self to free the clips, take it to someone.
Old 06-20-2013
Pigs

Piglet is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright, so I went the with AVH-X3500BHS and an XM tuner, and installed it myself with a little help from my boyfriend heat-shrinking the custom wiring set-up. I'm really proud of myself!!! It was a lot easier than I feared it would be :8)

I'll be posting photos once I take some decent ones. The lighting outside is perfect for photos, but since I'm shooting with an iPhone 4, I need to wait until it's cloudy o.O