I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Are new speakers worth it?

Old 11-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
semvhu is an unknown quantity at this point
Are new speakers worth it?

'05 Civic LX sedan, here. I recently installed a new Sony head unit capable of about 50 watts output. My old man hearing thinks the stock speakers sound just fine. I know they aren't rated nearly high enough for full power from the head unit, but my old man ears can't take more than 25% volume from the head unit, anyway.

From your experience, have new, higher-quality speakers been worth it for these cars?
Old 11-13-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are new speakers worth it?

Old man ears.
Haha.

You'll definitely enjoy the depth and feel to new speakers.
I wouldnt go all out and spent it on $300 pair of speakers.

A $50 pair of speakers will be much better than stock.
And your ears will appreciate it.
Old 11-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i would go all out and spend 300-400 on a set of high end components. once you actually hear the sound reproduction of a high quality setup you can never go back to cheap stuff its not just about being loud. im not talking about polk or alpine im talking focal and German MAESTRO thats what i use http://www.german-maestro.de/US/strada.htm

Last edited by lowlife9; 11-13-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

IMO, you're better off getting a sub (if you already dont have one).

stock speakers + sub = better sound balance than spending $1k on speakers/amp without a sub.

i run infinity kappas all around with a dedicated amp.... sounds good, but still not the a full balanced sound as when i had stock speakers with a 2 12s

but thats just personal opinion.

if you get aftermarket speakers you will need to amp them because of of them require much more power than what the 50w headunit (and like 20w RMS) can do.
Old 11-13-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lowlife9
i would go all out and spend 300-400 on a set of high end components. once you actually hear the sound reproduction of a high quality setup you can never go back to cheap stuff its not just about being loud. im not talking about polk or alpine im talking focal and German MAESTRO thats what i use http://www.german-maestro.de/US/strada.htm
Tbh, it's not really worth it to go really high quality on a civic.
Unless you are a true audiophile that absolutely needs the best audio in his house AND car, but only drives a civic.

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
IMO, you're better off getting a sub (if you already dont have one).

stock speakers + sub = better sound balance than spending $1k on speakers/amp without a sub.

i run infinity kappas all around with a dedicated amp.... sounds good, but still not the a full balanced sound as when i had stock speakers with a 2 12s

but thats just personal opinion.

if you get aftermarket speakers you will need to amp them because of of them require much more power than what the 50w headunit (and like 20w RMS) can do.
Says the guy with no subs?! :3
Old 11-13-2012
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

what does it matter what car there in its going to sound the same regardless if its a civic or a Bentley.
Old 11-13-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

Not if you have an SE
Old 11-13-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Originally Posted by lowlife9
what does it matter what car there in its going to sound the same regardless if its a civic or a Bentley.
Because it's a cheap *** car, not worth putting lots of monies in.

and 2) it does matter.
The civic is not sound insulated, or insulated at all to that matter.
You'd have to deaden the entire car to keep the sound in the cabin instead.
and even then, you'd still have a lot of road/engine noise drowning your music.

I'd spend at most 1K for a setup in a civic.
But if I had a newer bimmer/merc/lexus or any luxury car for that matter, I'd be willing to dish out at least 5x as much to invest in good audio.
Old 11-13-2012
Registered!!

dred is an unknown quantity at this point

without a doubt you will hear difference.
I noticed a huge difference.
biggest thing is to match your source.
if you gonna drive with aftermarket head get 50w rms or less

pioneers sound good.
i would imagine lower end kickers would too.

sub is a must imo as well.

I noticed a bigger difference going from Alpine
to my new pioneer

Last edited by dred; 11-13-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-14-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002

Says the guy with no subs?! :3
thats what i was trying to get it. but i haz gonna get some soon.
Old 11-14-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Because it's a cheap *** car, not worth putting lots of monies in.

and 2) it does matter.
The civic is not sound insulated, or insulated at all to that matter.
You'd have to deaden the entire car to keep the sound in the cabin instead.
and even then, you'd still have a lot of road/engine noise drowning your music.

I'd spend at most 1K for a setup in a civic.
But if I had a newer bimmer/merc/lexus or any luxury car for that matter, I'd be willing to dish out at least 5x as much to invest in good audio.
lol its not like a music system is permanently installed to your car. i can put my system into any car matter of fact my system was in two cars before my civic. so in a sense its an investment. and thats what sound proofing is for with enough work you could make any car the same if not more sound proof then a bentley.
Old 11-14-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Personal opinion is that it's not worth it in a civic.
Another reason is because civics are thief hotbeds.
Old 11-14-2012
Registered!!

lol not 7th gens.
Old 11-14-2012
Registered!!

TiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of lightTiggerDX is a glorious beacon of light

The speakers I run were about $450 for the pair years ago. But I would never consider running them with a stock head unit. For that I would run a pair of my cheapie $150 speakers as they are more efficient.
You will notice clearer sound with after market speakers but you may be disappointed in the bass response. It's difficult to find an aftermarket speaker that will produce solid bass powered by a head unit.
When looking for speakers, look at the sensitivity rating. The higher the number, the better they will work with just a head unit. Look for 90dB or higher. 92 - 95 is really good. These require less power to reach a decent volume. (Low end Polk's and Infinity's are both rated around 92-93dB)
Unless you have some type of premium sound system stock speakers are almost always full range which means that the single driver has to produce frequencies from 20Hz to 26K Hz. Virtually impossible to do well. A good 2 way speaker will have a tweeter to handle the high frequencies over 2800Hz depending on the brand with the mid-bass driver handling the lower frequencies. And even most of those only work down to between 35 and 70Hz. Which is why a sub makes a huge difference as some are capable of playing as low as 5 - 7 Hz.
Old 11-15-2012
Registered!!

mattandchris is an unknown quantity at this point

I've GOT A 2010 CIVIC-LX. This week I brought it to my local auto stereo geek. He removed the Honda OEM radio/speakers.
He installed, in its place, an Alpine CDE-W235BT head with matching Alpine SPS-610 & 610C
component speakers.
2 rear deck speakers , 2 door panel speakers, 2 front dash tweeters, that match the increased output of the Alpine head.
Entry level stereo set up requiring NO seperate amp.
$861.00 / complete parts and labor. 4 hours install time. Matching OEM interior dash bezal for the Alpine head unit.
Bluetooth THRU the Alpine head with microphone cable run hidden up the A-pillar/ eternal microphone clipped onto driverside sun visor. Wireless communication for phone calls BETWEEN my Samsung Galaxy cell phone and the Alpine head. cool!

The stereo SEPERATION is definately noticeable. The sound QUALITY is definately noticeable. The sound CLARITY is definately noticeable. The low cost of this set up is definately noticeable to my wallet. The car is a Honda Civic and road noise is a problem at times, but "the rocks come with the farm!"
Listening to that rap music song 15 times to try to understand those lyrics that your homie is dropp'in, because of the quality of the sound in your unit? This Alpine has very much improved quality in sound clarity over the Honda OEM speakers. You'll be a lyrical genius in no time, and swagger-jack'in much sooner from your favorite artist, with a new stereo set-up

I have been listening to the tune THUNDERSTRUCK on my AC/DC disk for a year now. In the song, there is a fade from the front dash tweeters to the rear deck speakers in the song, that I NEVER EVER picked up on the Honda OEM set up. When I just heard that for the first time, It justified the expense of the new Alpine set up for me..............mattandchris

Last edited by mattandchris; 11-15-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-15-2012
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

Its worth it, and sub and amp too. What you could do to save $ is just upgrade the front speakers and disable the back ones.

Only thing i wonder is if a double din is worth it, not for a civic....it will get stolen and theyre so expensive.