I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Bluetooth microphone

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
semvhu is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Bluetooth microphone

I recently purchased a Sony MEX-BT4000P stereo to replace my stock stereo. I have yet to install it, though I've gotten the adapter connector soldered together with the new receiver connector per Crutchfield instructions. The receiver comes with built in Bluetooth, iPod / iPhone controls, Pandora interface, etc.

In searching the forums, I've found many helpful entries for getting this thing installed myself, and I'm pretty confident I can pull it off. However, one thing I have not found is anyone that has added a Bluetooth receiver to their car and how they ran the microphone cable. This particular receiver has a microphone connection on the back and comes with a microphone with a long cable to run where you like.

The instructions suggested to possibly run it up the A pillar plastic cover (my brain is dead after a long day and the pertinent word escapes me as to exactly what that interior piece is called) to the sun visor and clip it there. That sounds good to me, but I am unsure how many pieces of the dash I would need to remove to run the wire up that route. I could go an easier route, but the sun visor is the best place I can think of to put it for both proximity to my pie hole and for keeping the cord properly hidden if installed correctly.

Can anyone provide some instructions as to what pieces I would need to remove to perform that part of the installation?

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2012
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Bluetooth microphone

I have an Alpine Bluetooth system in my 01 and I ran my mic wire up to my sun visor through the A pilliar. You won't need to take the dash apart. Just remove the a pillar cover, no screws just clips, and fish the wire down the hole that is behind the cover by the dash. When you look under the dash from the driver side you should be able to see the light where the wire will be. If you need to you can tape the mic wire to a coat hanger or something and fish it from the top that way. I was able to do it without an extra tools.
Old 11-01-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Or you can just plug it in, and go under the steering column, and up through the back of the A pillar column and up to the visor.
My preferred spot would be the steering cover right in front of the cluster.
Old 11-02-2012
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Here is a pic of what I did:

Name:  IMG_6968.jpg
Views: 3308
Size:  187.0 KB

Near the steering colume would be a nice place to put it.
Old 11-02-2012
Registered!!

Excellent responses. Thanks guys! I may consider the steering cover as suggested. Otherwise I did take off the A pillar cover just to see how easy it was and it was a snap.

GolNat, it's a bit tough to tell from the picture so I have to ask. Did you use a rubber bushing for running the mic wire out of the headliner? What you did looks very clean.

Hopefully I can complete the installation this weekend. I'm looking forward to getting it installed so my 2 hours of daily commute will be a bit less boring with some audio books on my phone.
Old 11-02-2012
Prelude Owner

Thanks. I was trying to make it look like its suppose to be there. I used a rubber grommet. You can get them at Home Depot or Radio Shack. I would have liked to use a smaller one but the plug that plugged into the radio was big and I didn't want to cut the wires and re solder them. You will enjoy the Bluetooth it is a great feature to have (especially if you have a 2 hr commute). It's nice to be able to stream music and YouTube from my iPhone to the car speakers. The calling thing is nice also especially since its the law now in my state. Good luck with the instal!!
Old 11-06-2012
Registered!!

Installation went smoothly. Instructions provided by Crutchfield were excellent, but I also backed those up by DIY articles on here and a couple of YT vids. I must recommend Crutchfield for your radio needs because they 1) provide excellent instructions specific to the car, b) provide any extra hardware necessary for the installation at no extra cost, and iii) are already competitive with other vendors with price. Given all the extras, it seems to me to be a no brainer to go with them.

My biggest concern was with the "illumination" wire as others on the forum mentioned they had problems and burnt wiring with this. I connected the illumination wire up from the Civic to the radio and it works as advertised; the head unit dims when the lights are turned on. From what I've seen, I think others may have mistakenly used the "dimmer" wire instead. I left it unconnected as there was no equivalent connection on my new Sony head unit. The Sony head unit also had an "ATT" wire intended for connection with car phones, which my car obviously does not have. Before actually connecting the head unit and powering it, I used my multimeter to verify each pin and its function. If I'd soldered something incorrectly, it would have shown up here before potentially frying my new head unit or, worse, some wiring in the car itself.

I initially tried the microphone right behind the steering wheel. I called my wife and she said I was not very loud and had some other noise in the background; I think vibrations from the engine running fed through the mechanics of the steering wheel into the mic causing the noise. I then moved it up through the a pillar cover (pretty easy to do using a bent coat hanger for fishing) and clipping it to the visor. My wife was able to hear me much better here since it's both closer to my head and any vibrations are muted through the fabrics and other mechanics of the visor. I didn't cut any holes in the headliner and just clipped the a pillar cover back over the wire; not quite as clean an installation as I'd like, but it was the easiest thing to do and still has an unobtrusive look to it. I coiled the extra wire together with a zip tie and let it rest behind the fuse box cover under the steering wheel.

I must say I like the iPod controls and Pandora interface the Sony head unit comes with. I'd probably have been able to make use of a cheaper unit with just built in Bluetooth, but I like the specific iPod controls it has in the unit and the fact that the phone is charging as I listen to it. Using ripped audio books on my phone is much less hassle than having to swap a CD every hour or so.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1252
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	84251   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1.jpeg
Views:	967
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	84252   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2.jpeg
Views:	934
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	84253  

Last edited by semvhu; 11-06-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Removed Flickr link and instead added pics directly.
Old 11-06-2012
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Only problem with that area, is that I do frequent the sun visor, so it would be a hassle to use it with the visor at the same time
Old 11-09-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

It should be just fine sticking out the top of the A pillar. At work we just wedge the microphones between the pillar cover and the headliner.
Old 11-13-2012
Registered!!

I have since realized part of the problems with people hearing me over my bluetooth mic is the car itself. It's still louder from the visor than behind the steering wheel so it's staying where it's at. But when I'm on the highway driving 60 mph the ambient noises from the car itself means I have to slightly shout for people to hear me, and even then they say I'm a bit garbled.

For those of you with a similar car (stock '05 Civic LX sedan) and BT, have you found any solution to this? My first instinct is that a solution would take so much time and money that I'm better off just having to shout a bit when I'm on the road. Or, as my dad said, buy a Mercedes.
Old 11-13-2012
Kenny the Ricer

That, or sound deaden your car.

You really cant avoid the ambient noises inside a civic.
Or you can get a better mic, if it uses a 3.5mm jack.

I just use a $25 solar powered bluetooth speakers, works just fine.
Old 07-11-2013

abhijitz is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not installed the microphone yet and was looking for options. Behind steering wheel was a thought. Did you use the rubber grommet on the top carpet because you thought fishing it through the pillar might pinch the wire? Where did you place the actual microphone itself (would you mind posting a picture?). I need to use the visor most of the times, so clipping the microphone (when the visor is folded) will not serve the purpose.

Originally Posted by GolNat
Here is a pic of what I did:

Last edited by abhijitz; 07-11-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-11-2013
Prelude Owner

I only used the rubber grommet for a clean looking install. With the a pillar removed there is plenty of room so the wire shouldn't get pinched.

My mic is clipped on the end of my visor. I do use the visor often and it doesn't seem to affect what people are hearing (though I have not called someone and checked to see if the quality changed when I adjusted the visor in different positions.) no one has ever complained.
Old 07-11-2013

abhijitz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank You. I like the rubber grommet install. Will attempt it this weekend.

Originally Posted by GolNat
I only used the rubber grommet for a clean looking install. With the a pillar removed there is plenty of room so the wire shouldn't get pinched.

My mic is clipped on the end of my visor. I do use the visor often and it doesn't seem to affect what people are hearing (though I have not called someone and checked to see if the quality changed when I adjusted the visor in different positions.) no one has ever complained.