I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

2001 LX Sedan Antenna Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7thvic is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 LX Sedan Antenna Issue

I'm trying to fix my girlfriend's reception problem in her 01 LX sedan but I can't seem to find the issue. The reception isn't completely lost, AM stations have a lot of static, and the closer FM stations come in OK, but can be finicky. There is only one station that comes in all the time. Based on multiple threads, it seems that the 2001 coupes have a separate antenna amp behind the c-pillar on the passenger's side. The sedans, based on only one other thread, may have that amp built into the head unit. So if you replace the head unit with one without that amp, you lose reception. She purchased her's used with an aftermarket JVC already installed (KD-G120). I can't find JVC documentation on that unit that shows it has an antenna amp.

Also, there is no continuity between the center plug on the coaxial cable (going into the HU) and where the wire connects to the metal plug on the back windshield. Every resistance setting on the omh meter shows this is an open circuit. Yet when it's connected I get some stations, when it's disconnected, I get nothing...so it has to be working somewhat. I traced out most of the cable from the back to the front and can't find any breaks.

Am I missing something with the diagnostics? Do I need to buy a HU with a built in antenna amp?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2001 LX Sedan Antenna Issue

The diagram I see does not show an antenna amp in a 4 door car.

If you have an open circuit between the connector on the back of the radio and the glass, you have a problem.
There should be an antenna lead coupler somewhere around or behind the passengers kick panel. Make sure it hasn't been unplugged.
Old 02-05-2012
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

i'd say you've done a good bit of research and troubleshooting already. from the resistance readings, if you're checking center pin to center pin and it's reading open, it would indicate to me that the antenna cable is broken somewhere. i had an 02 LX sedan and while the reception with an aftermarket HU wasn't quite as good as stock, it was still very good.
Old 02-05-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just keep looking for the break, starting with the passenger kick panel.
Old 02-05-2012
Registered!!

I should have done this before, but I shoved one of the ohm meter leads into the back of the radio and like magic all of the stations started coming in, so I know this is an antenna issue and not a HU issue. Further troubleshooting, I found the main antenna cable has good continuity but the sub feeder cable shows an open, but I couldn't find any breaks. Looks like I'll be ordering one of those cables. Thanks again for the replies.