I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Rear Seat Enclosure for Subs..

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What_It_Do will become famous soon enough
Rear Seat Enclosure for Subs..

Just wondering if anyone has built a rear seat enclosure in their 7th gen. Coupe?

I'm talking, interior completely out and working a large enclosure through the door to replace the rear seats.

Was thinking 2x15's if I have enclosure space, but I would settle with two 12's. I have not taken any measurements yet.
Off the top of my head, I would do two Fi Q's, since they go low, and would only require about 2500RMS to both drivers, I don't want to weigh my car down with too many batteries, so would not want to go much more than this for the subs, and allows me to put about 600-800RMS up front. I really liked my 12" BTL with 3350RMS total system power in my last car, so why not put a system in this car.

Ideally, I would do a sub behind each seat, firing forwards and a shared port in the center.

Will work on a cardboard template when i have some time, and post results.
In the meantime, I want to know if there are any civics out there with this kind of setup?
Old 01-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Rear Seat Enclosure for Subs..

There is a former member who removed his rear seats and replaced it with six 12 inch subs I believe.
Old 01-21-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MindBomber
There is a former member who removed his rear seats and replaced it with six 12 inch subs I believe.
oh rice!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2011
Registered!!

SpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the roughSpeedDownZone is a jewel in the rough

Someone is thinking about wasting there tax return.
Old 01-22-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by SpeedDownZone
Someone is thinking about wasting there tax return.
I'm not thinking about my tax return at all actually. I've been dreaming about bass!

BTW, I'm Canadian, with not much to claim for taxes..

Last edited by What_It_Do; 01-22-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2011
Registered!!

Well, anyways...
Cardboard template..

Rear seats out.

This will have to go, can weld it back on if I need too.

The hook to the left is about level with the bolts on the right.

Yeah, this will make a good starting surface. Will create a false-floor.

Bottom sheet 40"(W) x 21.5"(D)

Measuring max height.

Won't want to make height (at angle) any more than 28". I'll choose 25" to still be able to see out windows. lol.

Box complete.

Only had to take out both front seats to fit in. Was expecting having to take a door off and center console out, so this is good.

In.

Cut hole to simulate bracket removal.

Seat all the way back and tilted to where I drive.

Some over-hang, which is fine. I only have 8.5" from floor to box though. Which limits me on battery choice. KHC2400 will fit though. Plan on running a single to start. on passenger side. Enough for 3 across the floor is I want. lol

Good height I think.

About even with rear dash.

Was planning on putting battery/s in trunk, but would like to keep most of the weight in cabin instead of the rear of the vehicle, where the amps will be. So instead of sacrificing enclosure volume and shortening the box, I had planned on using 9A31 Deka Intimidator battery, but it's 9.5" tall, so that won't work. Luckily enough for me the Kinetik batteries are relatively short.

Two questions.
The factory battery up front, are there any alternative upgrades which will fit?
I measured the OEM battery and it seems like 9.5"(L)x5.25"(W)x7"(H). That's pretty small.

Where can I get the best H.O alternator for this vehicle?
DC Power which I have dealt with before can do a 180A max @ 130A idle for this vehicle.

PS: Box is 10.13cuft with no displacements and 1" MDF.
Old 02-13-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Wow...

Thats huge...

It's going to feel like riding in an s2000 the cockpit will be so small.
Old 02-14-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Eh, if you're not concerned about the back seats of your car anymore, you can do a copy of what steve meade did with his civic,
2 18" wall behind his front seats

Read up on his build thread
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...-update-60907/

Wall build starts on page 4
Old 02-14-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002
Eh, if you're not concerned about the back seats of your car anymore, you can do a copy of what steve meade did with his civic,

jeeeeeeeeeze
Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Kennykid2002

Thanks, I'm a HUGE SMD follower.

I wanted something which moves more air than a single 12", while not trying to be too heavy either. Two 18's with extra wood/bracing is too heavy IMO. Two 15's would be good...

I drove around last night with the box in the rear, and it didn't feel cramped at all. I think that's due to being able to see over the enclosure, and out all the windows. I'm liking it.
Old 02-14-2011
Registered!!

KcRidin09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go check out CarAudioClassifieds.org its an excellent site to get info on car audio. I would suggest if your going to remove your rear seats, you may as well just wall the Civic. You would def have enough space to run 2 15 Fi's or like the other guy said, 2 18's.
Old 02-14-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't do it in my civic, but in my previous car, I built a wall from floor to ceiling with (4) 15's. I made it in the local paper for a local competiton. I ripped that out and built another wall to house (1) 15" MTX RFL. I hit 153db's with it. Ran off a Xtant 1000w amp and (2) Nautilus deep cycle batteries. One thing about putting it in the civic, you will have major weight issues.