I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Led dash light conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
canadiankid is an unknown quantity at this point
Led dash light conversion

I am hoping to change the light bulbs in my dash of my 01 civic LX sedan (canadian) to direct replacement led lights from "superbrightleds.com". I was just wondering if anyone has a tutorial on how to do this. Also what size bulbs would i need and how many to do the lights in the part of the dash in the pic i posted. Also whats size light bulbs would i need more my front map lights aswell.

thanks, Jay
Old 11-29-2010
Registered!!

Re: Led dash light conversion

here is the pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	civic console.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	79712  
Old 11-29-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

tryin to do something like this?

Name:  SDC13346.jpg
Views: 2060
Size:  45.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
03silverbull3t (02-05-2024)
Old 11-29-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

www.ledautomotive.com has instructions and pnp led bulbs if you want to go that route. it wont be super bright, but good enough.
Old 11-29-2010
Registered!!

PacosTacos88 is an unknown quantity at this point

The guide to the install...

http://www.ledautomotive.com/guide.php?id_cms=31
Old 11-29-2010
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

The pic I posted is the LEDautomotive.com route, but I did use SMD LEDs in lieu of the 3mm they provide. Even though I'm using eBay leds, they've still held up, and they're plenty bright to see.
Old 11-29-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

How did you get power to LEDs that are in your vents?

I was thinking of taking power from the upper climate control ***, since its only powers one bulb and its close, to wire LEDs into my vents.
Old 11-29-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

there are dash light wires everywhere, gauge cluster and climate control are the easiest. the lower dial green plug has the dash light wire. upper does not have it.
Old 11-29-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by MindBomber
How did you get power to LEDs that are in your vents?

I was thinking of taking power from the upper climate control ***, since its only powers one bulb and its close, to wire LEDs into my vents.
I took some random +12VDC that goes hot when the parking lights are on.. I think I had them wired to a switch I used to switch on/off my old blue CCFL rings
Old 11-29-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

u guys are weak. its a rave in my rice bucket!

Name:  dash05.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  wholedash10.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  57.6 KB

Name:  wholedash09.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  wholedash04.jpg
Views: 1811
Size:  108.1 KB

Name:  dash02.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  cupholder05.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  70.2 KB

Name:  cupholder02.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  59.3 KB
Old 11-30-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I saw your thread a while back. I was thinking about doing the cupholder lighting, but I'm lazy. I mean, my trunk setup is still left unfinished XD

But my cluster still pwns yours

Old 11-30-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

welcome back rice!
Old 11-30-2010

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

@riceboixxXXxxxxxx haha you get over it after a while. i could not care less now a days. lol. right now, i have the 04+ blue cluster (manual). do u know how hard it is to find a blue cluster that is in manual (4drs)

@mac25 can i say......"i told you so" lol
Old 11-30-2010
Administrator
Administrator

I have an 03-05 MT Blue cluster laying around. It has 25xxx Mile on the odo. I wanna have the correct miles on it when I have it in, and i'm being lazy at doing the pin swap.
Old 11-30-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
u guys are weak. its a rave in my rice bucket!
man, this makes me want to buy back my paid-off civic and do this!
Old 11-30-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

do u know how hard it is to find a blue cluster that is in manual (4drs)
Trying to find one in Km is an absolute nightmare!
Old 12-01-2010

Originally Posted by electric130
man, this makes me want to buy back my paid-off civic and do this!
ur still on electric?! NICE!
Old 12-01-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

i had blue neon tubs under my front two seats from walmart that beated to my electro music, then i got greedy and put two more in the back... one tube in each set blew out.

so now i put the two good tubes into my engine bay.
Old 12-01-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

^I was thinking about doing something similar, except not those tubes since they're junk. Wiring up a few LED pods around the engine or to the inside of the hood, so that I can flick a switch and have my engine bay all lit up.
Old 12-01-2010
Premium Member

www.radiantz.com if youre serious about your leds lol
Old 12-01-2010
Registered!!

how many bulbs will i have to buy to do my cluster?
Old 12-01-2010
Premium Member

5 for the backlight. more if you want to start doing indicator lights, signals, and other icons. be sure you know what size the cluster takes. there were several sizes used depending on the year.
Old 12-01-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

ur still on electric?! NICE!
yeah man! i'm always here. i don't post much since i don't have my civic anymore, but i'm still on, moderating and trying to keep the riff-raff and spam off here.
Old 12-01-2010
Registered!!

cmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura aboutcmiller_01ex has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I saw your thread a while back. I was thinking about doing the cupholder lighting, but I'm lazy. I mean, my trunk setup is still left unfinished XD

But my cluster still pwns yours

ok i got a question. what is the diff between a manual and auto cluster. like honestly.lol i have n idea. ya'll can kill me about the stupid question all day i just was wonderin. also where the **** did you get one in mph!?! i cant find one.lol
Old 12-01-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

The auto cluster has indicator lights that shows what gear your in.

Mph clusters are easy to find, km clusters are much more difficult, so I'm not sure what your having trouble finding.
Old 12-01-2010
Premium Member

rpm gauge is also different on the auto and manual (different layout, manual has a more spaced readout).
Old 12-01-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by gearbox
rpm gauge is also different on the auto and manual (different layout, manual has a more spaced readout).
I never noticed that until you pointed it out, any idea why they're different?
Old 12-01-2010
Premium Member

the auto gear indicator strip takes up space so the rpm only goes up to where the top of the strip is. so its much shorter compared to manual. its built into the cluster but for 01-02 if you get overlay faces of the wrong kind, the rpm wont match.
Old 12-01-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

That makes perfect sense, I feel like a total noob for not realizing that.
Old 12-02-2010

Originally Posted by MindBomber
That makes perfect sense, I feel like a total noob for not realizing that.
we live and learn my friend.

dont worry, when i first started out in this car scene, some guy told me to check me vtec fluid n i searched my car for 2hrs looking for the vtec fluid cap... oh goodness

Quick Reply: Led dash light conversion