I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

VSS wire + Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRCornelis is an unknown quantity at this point
VSS wire + Navigation

Hello folks,

first of all, I did research in the forums, still not a clear answer.
A couple of months ago, I got myself a new double din stereo HU with built in navigation and all the other good stuff. Model is KW-NT3HDT from JVC, it's the one and only double din with detachable face, beautiful, so far love it so much, a little expensive (1299) higly recommended. anyways, It's got a VCC wire (speed pulse) that should be connected to the "VSS wire"... navigation works excellent without this wire but I would like to hook it anyways for better performance, I believe it improves the GPS when the signal is weak.

I did a research, car is a 7gen civic (03 LX, Sedan). I got an electrical diagram that says the ECU is behind the glove compartment, that I should tap a -blue with white stripes wire - I found the ECU but it has like three or four connectors on it, and at least three of then have its own blue with white stripe wire !. I'm not sure which one to tap there, and space it kind of tight...

I was wonder if anybody did this with sucess?. And I wonder if it will be easier if I remove the clauster panel and tap the wire going to the speedometer. I think it's not very dificul to take the clauster apart but since I never done it, If I do it: is the speed puse easier to find back there that you can "go wrong" with it... or will it be like the ECU that has four connectors there?... or maybe around the stearing wheel will I be able to find that VSS wire going to the crouse control unit?...

Any help will be really really helpfull. I haven't done since I got the HU because I'm not sure, and I don't feel like taping one wire after another just to see when I get the right one.

THANKS A LOT!!.
FRCornelis.-
Old 08-24-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VSS wire + Navigation

It's probably for dead reckoning, not so much when the signal is weak, but when the signal is gone, it can still "track" your location via vehicle speed.

Connector "A" (Top connector), Pin 18, White/Green Wire
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/p...216-post2.html
Old 08-25-2010
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

u didnt search hard enough. look through my threads. its the blue/white wire behind ur glove box.
Old 08-25-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
u didnt search hard enough. look through my threads. its the blue/white wire behind ur glove box.
Well, thank you for your inputs, but in fact, I researched deeply, you see... I got two answers, behind the glove box: one for blue/white and other answer for green/white.

The reason for me to post the question anyways was that I couldn't conclude who was right and who was wrong when I read the threads weeks ago

I guess I will have to try one and then the other one in case the fist one fails ??

I was wondering (besides the wiring knowledage from people) if anyone actually did hook this wire with a GPS unit and got away with it and tell me how the wire the .VSS wire

only God knows ...

Thanks guys!
Old 08-26-2010

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

well, im definitely not God, but i can tell u.

the VSS wire is based off the pulses from the car's speed (from the wheel's sensor to be exact)

so at any given speed, it will be 5% off ur actual speed (if u measure it with GPS tracking) because of ur tire/tire size...etc.

if u have a GPS/navi headunit, the VSS's fuction is:

1. (first = primary) disables input into navi/headunit while the car is moving. this is how many GPS/navi head units regulate it.
2. secondly, the HU takes the VSS's signal (the speed of the car) into account and factors it in with GPS signal to make a more accurate "speed reading" on ur headunit display
3. if GPS goes out (like u run through a tunnel and lose signal) VSS becomes the primary speed/distance guidance untill GPS is re-established.
Old 08-26-2010

this was my pinoeer navi headunit before my carputer. i tapped the blue/white wire.

Name:  IMG_1641copy.jpg
Views: 1916
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1644copy.jpg
Views: 3992
Size:  50.6 KB
Old 08-26-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
this was my pinoeer navi headunit before my carputer. i tapped the blue/white wire.

Great!. Blue / White under glove box, but it will be on the top (A) connector to the ECU. So you, instead of tapping the pin 18 of that connector (white/green) like xRiCeBoYx said, you tapped the blue/white on the same connector? or the blue/white wire you tapped was behind the glove box but not going to the ECU connector? (confussed)

Thanks a lot!. Another thing, abut the Matra kit you used, I have the same one, I noticed, with the heat, the middle botton part of the frame has like an ark and doesn't flush like it did when I installed. I tried swapping it with a new one and it did the same, I noticed in your PIC that you don't have that problem. Did you glue it?

Thks!
Old 08-30-2010
Registered!!

See, this is what I mean by saying the Metra Kit is not staying flat on the dash. You can see above the the AC buttons, it's duing like an ark, and also, in the right upper corner, it's not staying flush as it did when I first install it. If I glue it, It's going to be the other way around, I think it will leave a "step" which I don't like either 'cause it will be less clearance on the opening and it will make the ejection of the face plate too tight. I don't know, there's also a Scosche kit out there which is also a double din, it seems better quality and stronger than this metra, but the cut out (again, leaves less clerance for the falce plate removal)
Anybody came with a solution for this? ever experience something like that?

thnks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00129-20100827-1059.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	79179  
Old 04-18-2018
Registered!!

Scottboyd02 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don’t have a white/green wire on my top ecu connector on my 05 EX Coupe 5spd. I do see the blue/white wire coming into that big gray connector in front of the ecu. Is that the wire you guys tapped I didn’t see a clear answer. Is this the wire to tap?

Old 04-18-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

VSS at the sensor on the trans is green/white wire and should still be green/white at the ECM, connector A cavity 18 (connector A is at the bottom)

EDIT: The colors change to blue white within that big gray connector in front of the ECM, but blue/white goes to everything else that needs the vss signal like cruise and gauges