I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Trouble adding trunk popper to Compustar alarm

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Trouble adding trunk popper to Compustar alarm

I've already done this in my Civic, now I'm trying to do it to a friend's Civic.

In my car I've got the Compustar CM3000 unit and I bought an Accord trunk popper which is a direct Civic bolt on. There are 4 outputs (1, 2, +3, 5) which come out of the relay, 1 wire coming out of the trunk popper and a trunk output option on the alarm unit. Here's how I wired up my car which works perfect:

relay 1 - violet/white wire on Compustar unit
relay 2 - battery -
relay +3 - battery +
relay 4 - trunk popper

So I tried to do the same to my friend's Civic with the same trunk popper, only difference is his alarm unit is the CM4000, a newer one. I hooked it all up the exact same way and it doesn't work, I don't know why. If I hook the relay 1 wire straight to the battery (+) terminal it opens the relay. Hooking it to the violet/white wire and holding button III on the Compustar remote doesn't open the relay. On this newer unit there's also a jumper inside to switch the violet/white wire output between park lights and trunk output but I tried all possible jumper combinations and still nothing.

The wire I used to hook it to the alarm unit is about 7-8 feet of 18 gauge and I'm wondering if it's possible that this is too large/long and the signal is degrading too much before reaching the relay. Is this possible? Thanks.
Old 07-09-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trouble adding trunk popper to Compustar alarm

wire is fine, mine is even smaller either 20 gauge or maybe 18. i think some alarms do not need the relay and some do. my viper did not. it just depends if you have negative output or positive output from the alarm unit. i dont know for the one youre asking about tho. also try different channels. my "aux" channel button would not work with my remote, but the "dual button" channel (pressing lock and unlock together) worked fine with the popper.
Old 07-09-2010
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

There's a designated trunk output on the alarm unit it's labeled (-) 250mA Trunk Output. And when you hold the button on the unit it flashes the trunk lid on the display to let you know it's open. Like I said, mine works fine, his does not.
Old 07-13-2010
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Nobody knows this product?