I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

need battery replaced or bigger issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough
need battery replaced or bigger issue?

had my car sit in the airport parking lot for 3 weeks and of course i knew the battery would be dead when i got bak. when i did get bak my car was just covered in snow and was freezing out, considering its IL its expected. so i had it jumped and started right up but when i turned on my headlights the car wanted to die. i did leave the vehicle running for several minutes while i was gettin the snow off the car and around it. got home just fine but today the car was dead again.

now im wondering if its a bad battery, just too cold and not holding its charge, or could it even b a bad alternator? wouldnt b even worth trying to get it tested at the auto store since its pretty much needs a jump and wouldnt b at its testings spec. so wat do u guys think i should do? new battery? battery is about 3-4 years old.
Old 01-10-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: need battery replaced or bigger issue?

possibly new battery. usually after 2 weeks its drained enough that you cant start the car. do you have a trickle charger you can hook up? the alternator cannot charge the battery much, unless you drive on the freeway for an hour at least. and being cold, battery will have even more problems. try to charge the old one, then get a new battery if the old one isnt holding charge. i doubt its anything more serious. if alternator was bad, the battery light would come on.
Old 01-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

yeah definitely the battery. your car was dead and in freezing weather that whole time, so you probably need a new one. when its completely dead like that you need to leave it on or drive for a long time before it has enough juice to start up again the next time. it wont have anything to do with the alternator, because it started up and ran fine once you got the boost.
Old 01-10-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

ya get a decent trickle charger and keep it on low i personally would use this as an excuse to get a bigger and better battery something with higer cold crank amps like a duralast gold top. next time definitely get a ride or take a cab or a bus or something i would be to worried to leave my car in a parking lot for 3 weeks.
Old 01-12-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

i left my car sitting for 5 weeks when i was at military training and it started right up. battery was about a year old.
Old 01-12-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

was it freezing when you left it because cold drains batteries they dont even recommend storing them on concrete floors.
Old 01-13-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

no, it was in May/June.
Old 01-13-2010
Registered!!

kc8ktq can only hope to improve

I have the Optima red top: 980CA / 800CCA. I haven't had any problems starting in cold weather. As this battery is bigger than stock, you must remove the battery tray and just set the battery on the little shelf that sticks out. The only down side is that the battery did cost $180, but, it's well worth the investment.
Old 01-19-2010
Registered!!

crazyasian will become famous soon enoughcrazyasian will become famous soon enough

sorry for late response. just went ahead and got a new battery that night since i had school the next day. pretty sure the battery was on its way out and was prob good that i had it replaced.
Old 01-20-2010
Registered!!

D940 should not be trusted

Ahhhh, Okay first of all, when you tried starting the car, did it crank at all? If it Cranked it isn't your battery, knowing that it cranks shows there is still voltage going to the starter and alternator. Don't always assume it is your battery, because it isn't. If you live in cold weather areas the Alcohol content in your fuel could have evaporated and it was a poor start up and that could show when your car was weak like you stated. You could have an injector leak, Spark plugs were bad, or poor spark plug wires. Knowing that it cranks means IT IS NOT Your battery!
Old 01-20-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

good point. since gas companies factor in added ethanol to determine final octane, gas with the ethanol removed would be lower than 87 octane.
Old 01-22-2010
Registered!!

doubt its any of those considering my car starts fine now with a new battery. and no it never cranked. even with the car running for several minutes and after driving it would never start bak up. no crank just lights would be on but dim. thanks for the input tho.
Old 01-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by D940
Ahhhh, Okay first of all, when you tried starting the car, did it crank at all? If it Cranked it isn't your battery, knowing that it cranks shows there is still voltage going to the starter and alternator. Don't always assume it is your battery, because it isn't. If you live in cold weather areas the Alcohol content in your fuel could have evaporated and it was a poor start up and that could show when your car was weak like you stated. You could have an injector leak, Spark plugs were bad, or poor spark plug wires. Knowing that it cranks means IT IS NOT Your battery!
I would disagree, just because the engine cranks does not mean it is not your battery. Most electronic ignitions have a threshold voltage for them to work. If the module must see at least 10.7 volts and you are only supplying 10.6 volts the engine will crank but there will be no spark. A battery needs to be tested under load to verify that it can put out the required amps at sufficient voltage. You can have a battery with a bad or weak cell that puts out enough power to crank but not start an engine.
You can also see a similar effect trying to jump a car. Cheap jumper cables can do the same thing, supply enough power to crank the engine but not enough voltage to enable the electronic ignition to work.