I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Boxing Day Speakers - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point
Boxing Day Speakers - Worth it?

Hey,

So ever since I've gotten my new deck, I've noticed that a lot of the sound seems to come from the rear speakers, and not enough from the front. The balance is centered on the deck but it still sounds uneven. I'm thinking maybe replacing the OEM front speakers will help with the sounds.

Are these speakers worth it?
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...ing&langid=EN#

They're a boxing day sale - regular $69 for $39 for the set.

OR

These ones:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16882647039

Regular $109 for $39

The ones from Future Shop can be picked up in the store on Sunday, and the Newegg ones need to be shipped (and probably bought soon, not sure what their stock is like).

I wasn't really planning on upgrading my speakers at the moment, but I was looking through some of the Boxing day sales and noticed some speakers that I could actually afford... so now I'm thinking about it.......

Opinions? Better deals?

EDIT: I never even thought to check if they would fit. What size will the front doors take in a 02 LX Coupe?

Last edited by Awjvail; 12-24-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-24-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Boxing Day Speakers - Worth it?

i don't think that will help it sounds like the head unit how about adjusting it more to the front to even it out.it also doesn't help the front speakers are on the floor i would recommend putting tweeters up top were the stock ones would go on the side mirrors or cutting holes in the door panels like i did.and i dont think 6×9s are going to fit in the front.

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-13-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-24-2009
Registered!!

I've got the tweeter pods up on the sail panels and ever since the HU has been installed, they don't seem to be producing much sound anymore either.

I have to turn it up really loud in order to hear the highs because they're coming from the back of the car pretty much. Otherwise, it sounds muffled.

I dunno.. maybe I have to screw around with the settings some more. Should I try new tweeters before I try new speakers?

Last edited by Awjvail; 12-24-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2009
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

are your highs amplified if not you mite have damaged them turning the volume up so loud i did that with a set of titanium mb quarts.
Old 12-24-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
are your highs amplified if not you mite have damaged them turning the volume up so loud i did that with a set of titanium mb quarts.
Um... I don't think so...

It has been doing that ever since I got the deck installed, so unless they blew them while the car was in the auto bay getting it installed, they aren't blown..
Old 12-24-2009
Registered!!

well theres your problem you need to take the unit out and check the wires make sure they didn't half *** the connections they should be shrink wraped. you really need a amp.
Old 12-24-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they did not hook them up properly. I have stock tweeters and they are good enough for highs, my sound is great. Alpine HU with stock all around except 2 subs. I would recommend upgrading the tweeters or making sure they are hooked up properly.
Old 12-25-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hopefully they did not just "tap" the tweeters to the front speakers. that will cause all sorts of issues (unless you have components that are designed to work together). i have my tweets on deck power and they are very good. my other 4 speakers are amped with the tweeter parts pointed to the floor so i dont have too much treble. the front speakers dont really make much sound being so low in the door, so maybe try fading it forward. its hard to find the problem without listening to it and knowing the setup exactly.

x2 on the wiring. i did a crappy job on mine the first time and after a while i would notice static and not very good sound. redid the wiring and much better. same for the front door speakers, the spade terminals would keep getting corroded so i finally just wrapped the wire directly to the speaker and sealed around it with butyl tape to keep water out.
Old 12-25-2009
Registered!!

Well I really hope they didn't do a half assed job on the HU install.

They're a local company that specializes in auto sound and has been around for years, so I'd hope they'd know better than to just connect the wires and not shrink wrap them.

The install itself doesn't look as fit and finished as I was hoping for... the mounting bracket does not sit quite flush with the rest of the panel but I had a look at some other peoples cars and they appear to be the same.

How can I tell if they didn't install it properly?

BTW, in case it matters, my HU is a JVC KD-R800.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...&test_cookie=1

I love the deck, it's just the sound quality of the front speakers + tweeters that I've got an issue with. The sound was great and very balanced with the stock HU.

P.S. - I was just wondering... my friend has a 2005 SI sedan (Canadian) (basically an EX), and he doesn't have the tweeter pods at the sail panel and I do in my 02 LX coupe... how coem?

Last edited by Awjvail; 12-25-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-25-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

maybe they were added? idk, tweeters were only supposed to come on EX models but canada always has weird differences. the "ex" tweeter panels and tweeters should fit any coupe, just not sedan.

thats a nice jvc too. are you basically running that deck and some aftermarket speakers? no amp? it would help if you exactly describe your system. you also need to play a bit with the jvc sound settings. almost any deck will sound bad when you first turn it on. gotta tune it to your listening style.
Old 12-25-2009
Premium Member

if you have stock speakers, and you are wanting to just get new ones and run them off aftermarket deck, i would look into the cheaper $40 a pair pioneers that walmart has. i think theyre around 35w rms max so they are lower power and a great match for just hu power (around 20w rms per channel). they will sound better than expensive higher watt speakers. if you go with higher watt speakers like 60w rms+ then you need an external amp to power them.
Old 12-25-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
maybe they were added? idk, tweeters were only supposed to come on EX models but canada always has weird differences. the "ex" tweeter panels and tweeters should fit any coupe, just not sedan.

thats a nice jvc too. are you basically running that deck and some aftermarket speakers? no amp? it would help if you exactly describe your system. you also need to play a bit with the jvc sound settings. almost any deck will sound bad when you first turn it on. gotta tune it to your listening style.
The only thing I've got done is the deck. Nothing else.

I've had it since July and the only other mod I've done to it is take the dealer decal off <_< Hopefully once it's paid for (6 months-ish) I'll be able to afford more expensive mods.

I don't think they were added... I bought my car from a middle aged woman who used the car as a commuter and didn't do anything to it whatsoever.. I doubt she'd add tweeters.

The car doesn't specifically say LX on it anywhere but the VIN shows LX and all the features show LX (no sunroof, crappy plastic hubcaps, etc.) so I'm assuming it is an LX.
Old 12-25-2009
Registered!!

it sounds like the person that had it before you just connected the tweeter to the existing stock speaker that could definitely damage it at high volume.
Old 12-25-2009
Registered!!

I'm 99.9999% sure that the tweeters were factory...

The person I bought it from was the original owner and she never did anything to the car aside from maintenance, let alone install tweeters.

Besides - they worked fine before the HU was installed last week...
How can I tell whether the deck was incorrectly hooked up to the tweeters?
Old 12-25-2009
Registered!!

plastics is an unknown quantity at this point

MTX speakers are crap..don't buy them, waste of time.

Get a set of decent separete speaker (Tweeter and base in 2 places) replace the OEM speakers set and should sound good
Old 12-25-2009
Premium Member

i really dont see how adding aftermarket deck would change anything, you prolly should not have seen a difference.