I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Question... Alpine CDA-9805

Old 06-29-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KurtyG123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question... Alpine CDA-9805

So i followed some of the DIY this morning and removed my center console and Head Unit and mounted the Alpine CDA-9805 in the head unit and when i went to go hook it up to the power source i was unable to do so....because the power source cord didnt fit..is there something i need to buy or something... help...please.
Old 06-29-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question... Alpine CDA-9805

You have to go to the store and pick up a wire harness for your car. Then you have to splice the wires on the new harness to the harness that came with the deck. This way it will be plug and play. DO NOT CUT THE WIRES THAT ARE IN THE CAR ON THE STOCK HARNESS!! This is a pain and will make the install very difficult as the colored wires do not match.

There might be a few extra wires that came on the store bought harness that you will have to tape off and leave aside. (They will most likely be named illum. or whatever).

Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 06-29-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tbohar
You have to go to the store and pick up a wire harness for your car. Then you have to splice the wires on the new harness to the harness that came with the deck. This way it will be plug and play. DO NOT CUT THE WIRES THAT ARE IN THE CAR ON THE STOCK HARNESS!! This is a pain and will make the install very difficult as the colored wires do not match.

There might be a few extra wires that came on the store bought harness that you will have to tape off and leave aside. (They will most likely be named illum. or whatever).

Hope this helps, good luck.
sorry, im a total noob that doesnt know anything about cars...and splicing for that matter.....soooo uhhh what?
Old 06-29-2009
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

just means connecting the wires together either by taping them, or by using a crimper... its up to you on how you do it! just go get that harness... cant do much without it.
Old 06-29-2009
Registered!!

just means connecting the wires together either by taping them, or by using a crimper... its up to you on how you do it! just go get that harness... cant do much without it.
ok how do i find the correct harness?
Old 06-29-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Go to your local automotive store that sells car audio... even Future shop or best buy. Tell them what year and model your car is and they should be able to get it for ya right away.

Even better, call before you go and make sure they have it in stock. Save yourself a trip!
Old 06-29-2009
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough

go to best buy or some audio store and just ask the guy to get you a harness for your car then take the plug that came with the radio and match up colors with your new harness
Old 06-29-2009
Registered!!

brokedown711 is an unknown quantity at this point

don't hook up the illumination wire though
Old 06-29-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by brokedown711
don't hook up the illumination wire though
which is......
Old 06-29-2009
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough

usually the bright orange wire is illumination. plus the harness you buy will have it written on the wire
Old 06-30-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Well, how did everything go for ya? I had to run to work!
Old 06-30-2009
Registered!!

Well, how did everything go for ya? I had to run to work!
didnt install it yet. i'm running over to best buy tomorrow, also what could i buy for about 20 to 30 bills for the HU to play my ipod?
there are RCA but not aux in/outputs.
Old 07-01-2009
Registered!!

EggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enoughEggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enough

you can get a wire which hooks up to the cd changer output to the ipod if your headunit has that capability or get an fm transmitter which wont sound as good.
Old 07-01-2009
Whachya lookin at?

FM transmitter is okay but the quality is crap... Alpine sells high speed USB cables for most of their decks that will be a direct hookup for an ipod. If that does not work you can always get an AUX cable. Its basically a cable that has a headphone male on one end and your red and white RCA cables on the other end. It hooks up to the back of your deck and you control through the ipod what you listen to. (not the safest method)

P.S. Whenever you get helped by someone don't forget to rep them. That is by clicking on the little scale lookin' thingy below their name.
Old 07-01-2009
Registered!!

will this work with my head unit?
back of my head unit is first, what i bought is second
its the "isimple Portable music player audio cable"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 204.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	76807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 206.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	76808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 207.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	76809  
Old 07-02-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

ok if you look at the picture attached:

labelled A: this is the spot where you will plug in the factory antenna plug. its pretty simple. at least that looks like where youd plug it in. it should be just a single hole but its hard to tell from the picture. the thing i labelled with a question mark looks like just a screw hole but its hard to tell unless you get a better picture. maybe the antenna plug goes in there but i doubt it. i think it goes in where i labelled A

labelled B: these are where you would plug your cables into. as you can see there are 3 sets. two of them should be labelled out and are spots you would plug rca cables that would run to an amp, and the last set should be labelled in. you want to plug your ipod wires into the in set of holes.

labelled C: this is the spot where your alpine harness will connect. your alpine harness will plug in there with a bunch of wires sticking out. when you get your aftermarket harness from the store, plug that into your stock harness, then connect those aftermarket harness wires to your alpine harness wires. you can tape, solder, or crimp them. it doesnt really matter. crimping is usually the best because they stay solid but can be undone if you want to change your deck out one day. i also attached another picture to show how that setup should somewhat look like.

i dont think i seen you mention if you are installing a full system with an amp and sub. if you are theres a bit more you should know.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo%20204.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	76815   Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled1.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	76816  
Old 07-02-2009
Registered!!

unTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to allunTuned is a name known to all

oh this is also very very important.

you will have orange wires coming out of both harnesses. some are solid orange, some are orange and white. dont connect any of them. they are usually called illumination and or dimmer wires. you dont need them. you will only risk burning out some of your dash lights by doing it. take all of those from both sides, tape the ends off and make sure none of them connect to each other.

also, take the black ground wire from the aftermarket harness and tape that off as well. then take the black ground from your alpine harness, put a little ring terminal on the end, and directly connect that to any piece good solid piece of metal somewhere inside there so your deck is grounded directly to the chassis and NOT grounded to the ground wire. if you connect the two you will run into problems later on like i did when you get a bad ground loop that ruins your sound quality big time.
Old 07-02-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by unTuned
ok if you look at the picture attached:

labelled A: this is the spot where you will plug in the factory antenna plug. its pretty simple. at least that looks like where youd plug it in. it should be just a single hole but its hard to tell from the picture. the thing i labelled with a question mark looks like just a screw hole but its hard to tell unless you get a better picture. maybe the antenna plug goes in there but i doubt it. i think it goes in where i labelled A

labelled B: these are where you would plug your cables into. as you can see there are 3 sets. two of them should be labelled out and are spots you would plug rca cables that would run to an amp, and the last set should be labelled in. you want to plug your ipod wires into the in set of holes.

labelled C: this is the spot where your alpine harness will connect. your alpine harness will plug in there with a bunch of wires sticking out. when you get your aftermarket harness from the store, plug that into your stock harness, then connect those aftermarket harness wires to your alpine harness wires. you can tape, solder, or crimp them. it doesnt really matter. crimping is usually the best because they stay solid but can be undone if you want to change your deck out one day. i also attached another picture to show how that setup should somewhat look like.

i dont think i seen you mention if you are installing a full system with an amp and sub. if you are theres a bit more you should know.
The labelled B part says (from the Top) F,R,SW.....where would i plug the ipod?

EDIT: nevermind...i had to buy a AUX input adapter that hooks into the cd changer outlet.

Last edited by KurtyG123; 07-02-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-02-2009
Registered!!

oh yea that sounds right. f=front r=rear sw=subwoofer. its been a while since i pulled the deck out.

so yea youd need to plug those rcas into something else and probably into the front of the deck like youre saying.

are you hooking a system up or just changing your head unit out? if youre running a system youd need to run rcas from the head unit to your amp.
Old 07-02-2009
Whachya lookin at?

Does the deck have an aux. input? If it does not you can't hook an ipod up to it this way. You might want to double check that. I suggest you use the iPod interface that comes with the deck as it is much safer. All three of those plugs seem like outs to me.
Old 07-02-2009
Registered!!

oh yea that sounds right. f=front r=rear sw=subwoofer. its been a while since i pulled the deck out.

so yea youd need to plug those rcas into something else and probably into the front of the deck like youre saying.

are you hooking a system up or just changing your head unit out? if youre running a system youd need to run rcas from the head unit to your amp.
im just switching out the head unit. the system is for another time...christmas...maybe birthday. haha
Old 07-03-2009
Registered!!

EggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enoughEggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enough

like i said get the wire which hooks up to the cd changer input if your headunit has that capability. its either gonna be a hit or miss with this wire ive tried a couple. first wire i tried connected cd changer port to ipod dock connector, problem encountered... i couldnt change the volume on either my ipod or the headunit. second wire i tried hooked up cd changer port to headphone jack, volume could be changed but music only played through the front speakers. just a heads up.

btw i have an alpine 9831 and ipod touch 2g so your results might vary

Last edited by EggRollBandit05; 07-03-2009 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-03-2009
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KurtyG123
EDIT: nevermind...i had to buy a AUX input adapter that hooks into the cd changer outlet.
yep. that's what you want to do.
Old 07-03-2009
Registered!!

whats a good location to put the ipod? something discreet? not to much work either.
Old 07-04-2009
Registered!!

theres another thread as of the past couple days of someone asking the same thing. there were a few suggestions in it...
Old 07-04-2009
Registered!!

did you get the wiring portion of it with the harnesses all done? or are you pretty clear with the little picture i drew up?
Old 07-04-2009
Administrator
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
electric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond reputeelectric130 has a reputation beyond repute

i have mine under the passenger seat since it's controlled through the head unit.
Old 07-04-2009
Registered!!

brokedown711 is an unknown quantity at this point

the easiest place is the glovebox. this is also the best place, imo.
Old 07-04-2009
Registered!!

did you get the wiring portion of it with the harnesses all done? or are you pretty clear with the little picture i drew up?
yeah man that really helped alot.
also i dont believe my ipod will be controlled through the head unit. and having it under a seat or in the glove box would be a pain. AND its only a 3 and a half foot cord

Last edited by KurtyG123; 07-04-2009 at 11:30 PM.