I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Electrical Things (alt., DRL, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007
hvc
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Electrical Things (alt., DRL, etc.)

So it all started yesterday, I went to start my car, and it wouldn't turn over. So i figure it's my battery, i get a jump, and head to the Canadian Tire (same parking lot, only reason why). I talk to them, get an AVR done, and they say my battery is dead, so i buy a new one.

Fast forward to today, i'm on my way to school, and my battery light was on, and my car eventually lost all power (gauges, stereo, everything), but i could still drive. I get a jump again after my exam, and head off on the highway to go home, eventually losing all power again, but this time i lost my engine as well, so i pull over and call Honda and CAA. At this point I realize it's not my battery and it has to be my alternator. I'm still covered under warranty on my 02 civic, so the alternator will be covered, which is good.

I dunno if any of that made sense, but i'm trying lol. Also, I have a sound system installed (amp, 2 subs, and a HU - not too much.) So my question/concern here is, would my system be causing problems with everything, including my DRL's, and everything else that just happened? My dad says that the person who wired my car must have messed up or done something wrong, and i'm wondering if that's a possibilty?

Any information is appreciated.
Old 12-12-2007
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
Re: Electrical Things (alt., DRL, etc.)

1. check your alternator fuse, it does go out
2. have the alternator tested before having it replaced, could be a bad ground, or bad cable
3. yes, your system can make ur alternator go out early, it did to mine, but it also blew my alternator fuse, but if the system works, i doubt it is done incorrectly, but check all wiring and grounds for damage and/or corrosion
Old 12-12-2007
hvc
Registered!!

thanks. but my car is in the hands of Honda now, lol they're gonna take a look, but it's all covered under warranty, or else I'd be doing it myself. lol

I was just checking about my system, and yeah my system works fine.

Also, what would cause my DRL's to make the weird noise within the car? I've read about the fuse' and stuff, but i'm still not completely understanding.
Old 12-12-2007
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

what kind of noise are they making, im a little confused on that part..
Old 12-12-2007
hvc
Registered!!

i don't even know how to explain it, but it's hella annoying. That's all i can say, maybe somebody with a similar problem can explain the noise. lol
Old 12-12-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

drl has a relay that can click if it doesnt get enough power. it should all be back to normal with new alternator. battery light means replace alternator. if you still have the problem later, the drl module is located behind the kick panel where the hood release is. pop it open and bang on it. last report, rip it out lol. but you should be able to fix it.
Old 12-13-2007
hvc
Registered!!

okay. thanks man.

my buddy works at honda, and he just called, it's 25$ per occurrnence for my warrenty (figures), so it'll cost me 25$ to fix the alternator.

also i'm getting them to fix my door actuator for 25$ (cheaper then the 40+ for the part and my time, so why not?), and he said he'll do a full electrical check (For my drl relays) for $25, which i might call back and say forget it if the alternator fixes it. lol