I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

Alternator whine with amps.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sentbacktothesu is an unknown quantity at this point
Alternator whine with amps.

im trying to figure out how to get rid of that obnoxious whine i get anytime im driving or accelerate from my amp. i have my speakers in my car amped and i am sick of hearing that noise. but i really want to keep everything amped. anyone know what i can do to get rid of the noise?
Old 08-12-2007
Registered!!

thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough
Re: Alternator whine with amps.

are you using RCAs or (high) line level inputs?

try a ground loop isolater if your using rca's
Old 08-12-2007
Crawlin Similar To An Ant Low To Da Earth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura about

Make sure you ran the RCA lines on the OPPOSITE Side from any power lines to amps. Fix that 1st...most power cables for yuor car are on the drivers side. So run the amp power wires down that side and the RCA's down the passenger side. If that does not help run a ground wire from your Head unit ground (-12v) to your amp ground terminal. If that does not work buy the RCA noise filter like thefivespeeder suggested and pray...last hope that is, and $15-20 bux. Good luck homes.

Rca Noisefilter Linky:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-48Mt2sL...round+isolator
Old 08-12-2007
Registered!!

im running speaker wires from the radio to the amp and from the amp to the speakers. the power lines on the other side of the car.
Old 08-13-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if power wire and speaker wire/rcas are separated, make sure your grounds are good. you want the amp grounds as short as possible (there is a metal area behind the rear seats), and make sure if you have more than one amp, they are grounded at the same spot. then run new power and ground wires for your deck, power to battery + and ground to a chassis location. do not use stock harness wires to power the deck. could also try upgrading the stock engine grounds with 4 gauge and gold ring terminals.
Old 08-13-2007
Registered!!

hmm thanks for the advice. i, wondering the amp (under passenger seat) could me picking up the signal from the power wire running under the passenger door sil? if so would it help to move the amp under the drivers seat? and whats under our seats cause i really dont feel comfortable knowing that anyone can just get in there and steal it. anything under them if i put some screws in there to mount it?
Old 08-13-2007
I Queef > You

sKwiD is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem that i don't know how to fix. I've tried relocating the amp grounding point but that doesn't help. I tried using a ground loop isolator but that made the buzzing/humming even louder. It has nothing to do with my head unit because the buzzing only comes from my front component speakers which are powered by the amp. I changed my RCA's and they're nowhere near power lines... Dammit! lol.
Old 08-13-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

run new power and ground wires for the deck. thats prolly the best thing you can do, and it will get more power. use thicker wire too. stock is too small. i wouldnt drill under the car unless you actually look and see, theres alot of stuff there other than exhaust pipe.
Old 08-22-2007
Registered!!

mneuls will become famous soon enoughmneuls will become famous soon enough

you have subs too? I was having that problem, make sure all amps are grounded to the same bolt, if you decide to run more wires like ^^ that guy, just run them through the firewall grommet (you probably know this already but whatever). also you could try to put a couple ground loop isolators on your RCA,s you could try the big 3, you could try wrapping a ground around the outside of the RCA plug, you could try isolating the case of the amp by screwing it to a block of wood, if you have a cap, you could try removing that from the circuit, you could take out the bonding screw on the amp if it has one, you could try moving the power cables away from the RCA's (already mentioned several times) if none of that works, you could buy a deck with 8volt pre-outs.

I took out my cap, and it solved all sorts of problems (whine and my subs were cutting out)
Old 10-06-2007
Registered!!

is-vic is an unknown quantity at this point

well what makes the noise happen i did everything imaginable to stop it and its getting really annoying ive upgraded all the wires to 0 gauge ive made the ground wires shorter and sanded down any paint so its gets a good contact point, ive gotten the ground loop isolator but that made it worse i bought good and very expensive rca's i ran the power wire oppiste the rca ive ugraded the big three, i thought it could have been the amp so i switch my mtx thunder series amp for a kenwood one and the noise was still there. the last thing i could think of is my headunit, could that be the source of the problem? because i can even hear the little motor that spins around the cd though my subwoofer i need help asap and sorry for stealing the thread i just need big help.

p.s. ive used the search so dont tell me to use it because i have trust me.
Old 10-06-2007
Registered!!

FGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to allFGCOUPE is a name known to all

you need a noise filter by the sounds of it.... You can buy these at Radioshack, or......

try and making sure all your grounds are in top notch,
i replaced every last one in my 06' civic as the wire they use
is just s#!t. lmao!
replaced the battery NEG with 4G monster cable, and all gorunds
to the engine with 4G aswell.