I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

AudioControl crossover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NeonNights is an unknown quantity at this point
AudioControl crossover?

Hmm...I was just wondering if you've heard of AudioControl. I just won an auction for an AudioControl 2XS Series II Crossover with Subsonic Filter! I'm giving $65 for the unit and shipping. It seems to be a well-built crossover. It comes from the factory set at 90hz lowpass and the subsonic filter is set at 33hz. That sounds pretty good for L7s...the highest frequency for the L7s is 100hz, and Kicker reccomends the use of a 25hz subsonic filter. I have 'em crossed over at 80hz right now, and haven't noticed any loss in the frequency range since I changed it from 100hz. I guess my 6x9s take over around the 90-100hz range. Also, the more subsonic bass I can block out, the better...I can't crank 'em as high when they distort on the really low bass that I can't even hear!! Anyway, you can buy or build your own crossover modules to change the frequencies. Here is the description, straight from the seller:

<< This auction features a AUDIO CONTROL 2XS SERIERS II(the new model), 2 channel 18db/octive programmable crossover. Feautures** State-variable, 18dB/Octave, 2-way Active Crossover. Module Programmable Crossover Frequency, Balanced Inputs, Output Level Controls, Switchable Isolation PWM Power Supply, Programmable Frequency Match (PFM) Subsonic Filter for Subwoofer Control and Protection. I bought this item new and have used it for 1 week, I need to sell for house down payment. It is in near new condition, comes equipped with x-over point at 90hz, this can be changed by adding a new chip, about 3 bucks to make. Awesome unit, has only .008% distortion, not like many other crossovers that dilute your music, this is the best electronic/active 2-way crossover you can get. >>

Here is the owner's manual in PDF form for those of you who are curious: 2XS Manual
Old 03-19-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah that's a pretty good Crossover... your L7's have them in a ported enclosure?.. if so.. Yes a subsonic Filter is a good thing.. and you can hear down to 20HZ BTW...if you have em ported and tuned above 35Hz..then the subsonic filters a good Idea...if you have em ealed..then no.. it's not a good Idea at all..as your sealed enclosures have a natural 12db/octave roll off around 45-55hz anyways..the 90HZ crossover point is about 90hz high..but still nothing to worry about.. generally 70-80hz is where sound starts to become directional and you can tell where the source is coming from..but 90Hz at an 18db slope shouldn't be anything to worry about... What's wrong with the crossovers on your amp?
Old 03-20-2002
APS
Registered!!

APS is an unknown quantity at this point
AudioControl makes some of the best EQs and crossovers out there. You got yourself a good deal.
Old 03-20-2002
Registered!!

Pricewise..good deal... usefulness in your system.. not really [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]..
Old 03-20-2002
Registered!!

Hmm...well, you see...my subs are indeed in a sealed enclosure. Now, part of the reason that I want this crossover is because, even though the amp is good, the crossover on my BP-1200.1 sucks really bad. It's supposed to go from 32hz to, I think, 325hz...but when the crossover is all the way down, I can set my El Kameleon's built-in crossover to 120hz and still hear all the frequencies...the one on the amp doesn't work right. Anyway, the 120hz crossover is too high, and I would rather not cross it over at 80hz (the next one down on the 50/80/120hz crossover on the El Kameleon). I can make my own module so that my system is crossed over at 100hz...or I can just stick with the default 90hz...there may not be much difference between 90 and 100hz. As for the subsonic filter...the main reason I want it is because I don't notice much sound from those really low bass notes...and I can't turn my amp as high, because those notes that I can barely hear will make my subs distort from the high excursion. So, I'm mostly getting it so I can try to get a higher SPL. It may not be the 20-30hz frequencies that distort my subs, though...so I'll probably play around a little and make my own subsonic filter modules. I might make a 20 or 25hz subsonic filter instead of the 33hz that comes with the crossover. Anyway, the main thing is that the music I listen to has the most bass in the 40-70hz range, so I want to be able to adjust it for that kind of bass and not have to worry about blowing my subs on the occasional 20-30hz bass. I dunno...I may not need it right now but, either way, I have been considering building two ported boxes for my subs and cramming them both into my Civic...that should give me some serious bass. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] If I do that, I'll need it later on...so I'm not really wasting my money.
Old 03-20-2002
Registered!!

Okay well your sub 33hz bass is what most kickdrums play at.. so there goes that... also 33hz and down is where alot of effect bass occurs.. gutwrenching feeling.. car rattling.. it really souldn't distort your subs... If anythign having they trying to play midbass (above 80hz) is what's causing the distortion.. Crossing yuor subs at 100Hz will can make them sound distorted because the bass becomes directional(you can hear where it's coming from) and possibly add some panel flex because your deck resonantes at about 110hz..which causes an awful buzzing sound.. Try Why do you have your subs crossed so high.. try the 80Hz setting it'll sound alot better...
Old 03-20-2002
Registered!!

Hmm...well, I was listening to my subs today and noticed that the low-end bass is sounding better...sounds like they're breaking in. Anyway...I put in a CD with lots of really low bass and adjusted my amp so that I'm pushing my subs to x-max. They sound great! I'm assuming that they were only distorting because the suspension was still really stiff...I mean, they did this on the day I installed 'em. I've been listening to 'em every day for about 5 days now, hardly ever letting 'em rest. Anyway, I am running my CD player's crossover at 80hz right now for the simple fact that 120hz is too high and 50hz is too low. If you don't reccommend using this crossover with my L7s, what about with my 10" Bostons? They pound for 10s, but don't handle deep bass as well as some 10s out there. I'm thinking that the 90hz/33hz should work pretty good for 10s...what do you think? Oh, one more thing...since you said that the car-rattling bass is in the below-33hz-range, then I'm definately not going to put the subsonic filter on my L7s. The main reason is because the car-rattling bass is cool as hell. After I adjusted my amp today, I decided to play around a little. I put in the new Ludacris CD, Word of Mouf, and put it on song number 8. It has some hard-hitting low bass. Anyway, I put a quarter on my trunk lid and cranked the volume up, and I swear the quarter jumped over 6 inches off of my trunk when that low bass hit!! These subs hit really freakin' hard. I decided, for some unknown reason...people have an uncontrollable curiosity, to put the knuckle of my left index finger in the path of one of my L7 cones...hmm...the next thing I knew, I was holding my knuckle and saying a few choice words. I told a friend of mine to do it today...and he got the same results.
Old 03-20-2002
Registered!!

he he he the dancing quarter trick is fun.. but it does caause little knicks in yuor clearcoat....

I Used to own and use BA Pro 12.5LF's and they cover low end well up to a point.. they have fairly limited excursion so the Crossover should work great with the 10's.. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]..

The Hurting fist.. Try that with aluminum coned subs and 1100 watts [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]..I did something pretty dumb recently for fun.. I had one of my subs iin 1.2 cubes sealed to see it's power handling.. but whil I was at it I wanted to see how far a sub with nearly 2 Horsepower (670 watts= 1 horsepower) can launch an orange I Played a 25Hz tone through the sub which was outside the car facing upward..Orange flew about 12 ft up [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].. I Blew the sub though.. Audiomobile Claims the sub can take 1200Wrms "music"power.. well it couldn't take 1100 Watts of Baby Got Back [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG].. lol
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

Hehehe...sounds like fun! Oh, I found out something that sucks about my subs today. Anyway...my Punch XLCs that I had could be pushed to x-max on the deep bass found on CDs like Nelly and Ludacris...and could still play the really deep "bass cd" style bass without distortion. Well...anyway...I am pushing my L7s to x-max when I listen to things like numbers 4 and 8 on the St. Lunatics CD and numbers 3, 8, and 12 on Ludacris' Word of Mouf CD. Well...I was listening to Whodi (I think that's spelled right) by the 504 Boyz...and I noticed that the bass was much deeper than any other music I listen to. Well...I decided to check on my subs to see how they were handling it...and I noticed that they were distorting when they played that deep bass...I don't get it...I mean, my XLCs could be pushed really freakin' hard, but the L7s can't?? Is it because of different design? Maybe because the L7s hit harder? I dunno...I'm really confused. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] It just makes no sense...I mean you can beat the hell out of Fosgate subs, but the almighty L7 can't handle it. I love my L7s, but I almost wish I had gone for a couple of Power HX2s instead. The major advantage of L7s is that they can play really, really deep and still hit hard...but when you try to play bass that I think is around 15-20hz...they distort. Oh well...I'll just avoid that CD.
Old 03-21-2002
Registered!!

You sure it's the subs distorting and not your box or trunk resonating?..because at low frequencies like that I hate to tell Distortion is ALOT harder to detect bro...
Old 03-22-2002
Registered!!

Hmm...it's not the trunk...definately coming from the subs or box. It may actually be the box...I dunno. It's just that at the really low frequencies (around 15-20hz, I think), there is an awful rattling/buzzing sound coming from either the subs or the box. If it's the box, will it hurt anything, or will it just be an annoyance that I'll have to put up with? That reminds me, do you think it's possible that the grills might be resonating? I don't know, but being metal up against the metal frame of the subs...it might be able to cause rattling. Anyway, let me know what you think. I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Edit: It seems to only be that particular song. Since I burned that CD from MP3s, there may actually be distortion in the song itself. I played three different bass CDs today along with 15hz, 20hz, 25hz, and 30hz tones through my laptop...zero distortion. Hmm...I might have to delete that MP3.