I.C.E. (Audio) & Electrical Upgrades Post all your I.C.E. (In Car Entertainment) and wiring questions here (Audio, video etc.)

DRL electrical woes ... How screwed am I?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FurBall is an unknown quantity at this point
DRL electrical woes ... How screwed am I?

2001 Acura EL.... (Same as Honda Civic sedan)

After going to Krown for my rustproofing, I've been having nothing but ****ing problems....

The suspension feels nice and quiet, and smooth, from all the lube.

Just this wkend I replaced a ****ing fog light bulb that burnt out... $55 + $10 labour

Now my DRL is ****ed.... When I turn on the car and release the handbrake, the DRL goes on automatically... I then hear this ****ed up screeching noise coming from behind the glove box, and won't shut up until I turn on my lights (full on). Turn off the lights (back to DRL), I'm ok, sometimes I'm ****ed with the noise again... intermittent. Usually noise....

I already checked my DRL fuses, and headlight fuses...all ok. No leakage of oil into the fuse box under the hood that I could tell.

The passenger side headlight also takes longer now (about 2 seconds) to turn on.... and when that screeching-like noise is blaring, the DRL light also kinda flickers on the dash...

Lube up for **** rapage @ the stealership?!

Any ideas?
Old 11-08-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
hmm never heard that one. are you sure its just not loud clicking? sounds like a relay or the drl control module (but thats located by the hood release, not glove box).
Old 11-08-2006
Registered!!

dabflyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
wait a sec, does our civics come with DRL?
Old 11-08-2006
Registered!!

MrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of lightMrXclusivE is a glorious beacon of light
^^ in canada they do!

I had this noise problem with my dad's odyssey long time ago, I don't remember how we fixed it but it was something related to the wires ubnderneath steering wheel, check those out!
Old 11-09-2006
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light
Things that come to mind are a poor ground or poor source of voltage either at the DRL relay or the DRL control module. I show the relay in the center of the dash almost behind and to the left of the left side of the glove box cavity. I have some info for testing the control mod and wiring if you're interested. Just let me know your e-mail address.

Last edited by christmaspie; 01-02-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-09-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Originally Posted by FurBall
Just this wkend I replaced a ****ing fog light bulb that burnt out... $55 + $10 labour
How do you get labour charges on a bulb change? Please don't tell me you voluntarily gave your money away for someone else to change a bulb for you.
Old 11-09-2006
Registered!!

Honda_Inspired is an unknown quantity at this point
$55 bucks for a light bulb??? damn
Old 11-09-2006
Registered!!

teammo is an unknown quantity at this point
I would have to say the buzzing is your DRL relay!
Old 06-24-2007
Registered!!

Keigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DRL electrical woes ... How screwed am I?

Last edited by Keigo; 06-24-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-25-2007
Registered!!

christmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of lightchristmaspie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by christmaspie
I show the relay in the center of the dash almost behind and to the left of the left side of the glove box cavity.
from above
Old 06-25-2007
Registered!!

Old 06-25-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

^^^Some people just don't like to read....

Do you smell electrical burning. I think that you have a short some where in the wiring. Or the relay is hooked up wrong. Perhaps the guys that did the undercoating cut some wires and tried to fix them with out telling you. Well it sounds like they fixed them wrong or did more harm then just cuting the wires.

I had this hapen on my accord. I installed an after market DRL kit and wired the relay wrong. It never blew the fuse just made an awful noise unless the lights were manualy turned on. It also stunk up the car for a while, till I could fix it.
Old 06-25-2007
Registered!!

__Doc_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dabflyboy
wait a sec, does our civics come with DRL?
Sure they do, 07 Does.. I Find it annoying
Old 06-25-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Keigo
what do u mean by center of the dash?
Check attached pic, it's not the best but it should get the point across.

Originally Posted by Keigo
was told that the daytime running light relay under the dashboard by the drivers side above the clutch????
Hmm, sounds like more like the DRL control module but I really don't know to be honest.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	drl stuff.JPG
Views:	972
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	71569  
Old 06-25-2007
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

I have heard rumors that the connections in the DRL control module can be re-soldered and solve the problem.

Cannot confirm.
Old 06-25-2007
Registered!!

Old 06-26-2007
Registered!!

Old 06-26-2007
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

See the larger solder joints near the center ?? The problem connections will in most cases have a black ring around the solder joints. I see some on your board. Use a 30-40 watt iron (avoid a solder gun if possible) Unless you can work quickly with the joints. It will not hurt to do most of the larger connections in the center area. I would also touch up the solder joints for the connector at the board.

Last edited by CraigW; 06-26-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Old 06-26-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Off topic:
Key Keigo,
I just noticed you have heated mirrors. That is cool. Also since you have the DRL switch where the U.S. moon roof switch is. Where is the Canadaian model moon roof switch?
Old 06-26-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

drl switch? wheres that. i didnt think stock cars came with em its automatic turn on with ignition.
Old 06-26-2007
Registered!!

It might actualy be the fogs but I thought that the fog switch was in the center console in front of the shifter. Regardless of what it is where would the Moon roof switch go? It would seem kinda silly to put it in the center.
It is the first link he posted.
Here it is
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG3038.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	71576  

Last edited by Alpha 5; 06-26-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2007
Registered!!

dandan05 is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently had this problem with my Civic and I can 100% confirm it the the DRL relay. Its a grey box located under the steering wheel. The problem is a short in the relay causing the solder points to release. It can be fixed your self or just buy a new one on eBay for $30. Takes 2 minutes to fix. This will cause sometimes one of your Daytime running lights to not turn on at all and the buzzing. If you turn your headlights on it will go away. I don't understand why is buzzes under the glove box, but thats the DRL relay.
Old 09-05-2008
Registered!!

poups is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dandan05
I recently had this problem with my Civic and I can 100% confirm it the the DRL relay. Its a grey box located under the steering wheel. The problem is a short in the relay causing the solder points to release. It can be fixed your self or just buy a new one on eBay for $30. Takes 2 minutes to fix. This will cause sometimes one of your Daytime running lights to not turn on at all and the buzzing. If you turn your headlights on it will go away. I don't understand why is buzzes under the glove box, but thats the DRL relay.
The little gray box behind the glove box is the daytime running light relay, and the component you solder is the daytime running light control unit. you might need to replace the little gray box too
Old 01-17-2009
Registered!!

atlmapas is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the exact same problem on my '02 Canadian Civic LX (DRL buzzing until you turned on headlights and right high beam inop). If not for this forum and the posting of the fix for this problem I would have been pulling what little hair I have left out of my head. Thanks for the solution of resoldering the connections on the DRL module behind the cruise control switch/side mirror adjustment panel. I resoldered the connections that looked burned and it worked like a dream. Thanks for everyone's help!!
Old 01-17-2009
Premium Member

glad you got it fixed. its due to the high heat of the module that causes the solder to come loose over time. those wires carry alot of current too.
Old 01-17-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by atlmapas
I had the exact same problem on my '02 Canadian Civic LX (DRL buzzing until you turned on headlights and right high beam inop). If not for this forum and the posting of the fix for this problem I would have been pulling what little hair I have left out of my head. Thanks for the solution of resoldering the connections on the DRL module behind the cruise control switch/side mirror adjustment panel. I resoldered the connections that looked burned and it worked like a dream. Thanks for everyone's help!!
thank you for SEARCHING and not just posting a question (like every other noob on here). +1 for you.
Old 03-19-2009
Registered!!

babzog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey folks,

I am going to give this a try. One Q: How do I pull the panel holding the switches that's covering the DRL module? Don't want to break anything with excessive force.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2009
Premium Member

you mean the one with cruise button? open the coin tray and remove the one screw on top. then the whole piece just yanks out.
Old 03-19-2009
Registered!!

Cool, thank you. I hope to try this on the weekend. Hopefully it cures my buzzing woes.
Old 06-25-2009
Registered!!

Well, procrastination (it was intermittent, after all) got the better of me and I put it off till tonight. LOL Changed out the pollen filters and then decided to get into the other side of the dash as well and yank that little box. I thought it would just slip off the mounting bracket but, no. After unbolting it and yanking the PCB, there were 4 solder points that looked cracked and another that looked like it was on its way to letting go. A bit of heat and some solder fixed it right up - no more buzzing! Thanks to everyone for a great tip!

Quick Reply: DRL electrical woes ... How screwed am I?